Rap artists receiving awards

JethroTull

I agree. Rap does all sound the same, except for Outkast and Kanye West (although his arrogance tends to turn people off). It needs to be shaken up a bit. But, that tends to happen when a genre gets too overblown (see disco in the 70s and hairmetal in the 60s). I don't think rap will die, but it will change. I just hope it's soon, because it is getting rather annoying to me.

They're not rap, but Gnarls Barkley is amazing as far as I'm concerned, and what they're doing is extremely off the beaten path from what I'm used to listening to. Cee-Lo can sing his ass off. And they have a cool sound that's a little bit different than what is coming out of the rnb/rap scene, and they're having success with it.

I'm trying to work the song Crazy into our set, reworking so it'll work for what we're trying to do. Just a great track.

The stuff I like was back then too Melanie.....Not quite as much as you...but who knows, if I heard it, I might like it. :)

I love the Beasties and Tribe, Dr. Dre and Snoop of those you mentioned.

That is awesome Joelmon!! I think you would like some of the others that I mentioned. Yes it was better back then IMO because it was fresh and new but now all you see is those running around sporting all the bling bling sounding alike too! Boring, and no creativity!

That is awesome Joelmon!! I think you would like some of the others that I mentioned. Yes it was better back then IMO because it was fresh and new but now all you see is those running around sporting all the bling bling sounding alike too! Boring, and no creativity!

I've heard relatively little...but I have heard enough to recognize the variety and invention in some of it. It does NOT all sound the same like some here think.

My favorite rap beside the first Cypress Hill is this....and it's excellent ! I've had it since 1994.

beatnuts~~~_streetlev_101b.jpg

"Street Level" works as a very consistent piece that mostly reflects what a great time 1994 was for hip hop. At this time, creative and appealing production was valued highly, and raw lyrics that stayed true to hip hop were embraced by a wider audience. "Street Level" is a product of all of these factors, and it's really a very fun album. While JuJu, Les, and Fashion aren't great rappers, they're tons of fun to listen to, again reflecting the best styles of the era. They rap about drugs, women, partying, and the classic boom-bap type of toasts.

There's hooks ripe with yelling and chants, and lyrically it's fun without being deep. But the true draw for any Beatnuts album is obviously the production. The beats on this album are somewhere between Cypress Hill's claustrophobic funk and The Artifacts' upbeat old school style. The beats are quite simple, but they are clever and very appealing. Usually anchored by a nice bassline and some light instrumentals, they have a light, easy, and laidback feel for the most part.

The album relies on consistency, no songs stand out and none would really be too memorable on their own, but as an album it's extremely fluid. The songs all sound fairly similar, and they flow seamlessly from one into the next. You can just put this album in the player and let it roll, without ever wanting to skip a track. Overall, "Street Level" is a really fun party album from a very underappreciated group.

http://www.amazon.com/Street-Level-Beatnuts/dp/B000003BXE

I've heard relatively little...but I have heard enough to recognize the variety and invention in some of it. It does NOT all sound the same like some here think.

My favorite rap beside the first Cypress Hill is this....and it's excellent ! I've had it since 1994.

beatnuts~~~_streetlev_101b.jpg

"Street Level" works as a very consistent piece that mostly reflects what a great time 1994 was for hip hop. At this time, creative and appealing production was valued highly, and raw lyrics that stayed true to hip hop were embraced by a wider audience. "Street Level" is a product of all of these factors, and it's really a very fun album. While JuJu, Les, and Fashion aren't great rappers, they're tons of fun to listen to, again reflecting the best styles of the era. They rap about drugs, women, partying, and the classic boom-bap type of toasts.

There's hooks ripe with yelling and chants, and lyrically it's fun without being deep. But the true draw for any Beatnuts album is obviously the production. The beats on this album are somewhere between Cypress Hill's claustrophobic funk and The Artifacts' upbeat old school style. The beats are quite simple, but they are clever and very appealing. Usually anchored by a nice bassline and some light instrumentals, they have a light, easy, and laidback feel for the most part.

The album relies on consistency, no songs stand out and none would really be too memorable on their own, but as an album it's extremely fluid. The songs all sound fairly similar, and they flow seamlessly from one into the next. You can just put this album in the player and let it roll, without ever wanting to skip a track. Overall, "Street Level" is a really fun party album from a very underappreciated group.

http://www.amazon.com/Street-Level-Beatnuts/dp/B000003BXE

I like Cypress Hill too. I have never heard of the Beatnuts though. I should check them out sometimes. Thanks for sharing that!

Kanye may be a son of a bitch, but at least he cares more about his music, then his street cred, or his bitches, bling, ice, and boots with the fur. Rap is not as mainstream as pop music. almost every thing you hear on top 40 is pop. All of which is total crap just like half of the rock these days. Rap is a form of music as much as Blues is. Don't confuse Pop with rap.

Archived