Deadliest Catch Faking Scenes?

Jahfin

From The New York Times:

'Catch' Caught Out

Compiled by PETER EDIDIN

A production outline suggests that the opening scenes of Tuesday’s season premiere episode of the Discovery Channel show “Deadliest Catch” could be fake, The Hollywood Reporter said. The episode opens during a storm on the Bering Sea, in which the Wizard, a fishing boat, appears in danger of sinking. But the flooded boat was filmed in September, and the huge waves shown crashing into the boat were shot in October, according to the production outline, which The Reporter obtained. (A scene from a different episode is shown above.) Additional footage was also shot to help stitch the two events together. The outline directs producers of the show to patch together a scene of life-and-death peril from different days of filming, but Discovery executives said the document was an early draft that was not used. Such editing and staging tactics are common on reality shows, but Discovery considers “Deadliest Catch” a documentary and denies that re-enactment footage was ever used on it. John Ford, Discovery’s president and general manager, said the outline was “a rough draft that was rejected.” He added: “The Wizard was struck by a big wave, and that wave caused the leak you see in the show. The thing we didn’t have on camera was the actual wave that struck the Wizard. That was shot at a separate time on the same journey.”

I was a commercial shrimper for a few years, most of my inlaws still fish for a living.

I can say from experience that it can be very dangerous work. One night when I was out a thunder storm was brewing and when I went to hit the controls to raise my wing nets the engine nearly died. What had happened is the alternator had shorted internally

thus the batteries were not recharging. So we had to use a block and tackle to raise them up and secure them all the while lightning crackling all around and raining sideways with the added thrill that all of the rigging and framework is aluminum and stainless steel. The auto bilge pump was barely running due to the battery being run down and the boat was quickly filling up with water. I tried to stay calm because of the fear I saw in my wifes eyes. Luckly we were in inside waters and only about 20 minutes away from the marina. I can see where they might need to splice the action together since there are long periods of inactivity before the haul is taken in. When it is time you work non stop, you're catch has to be put in the ice hold.

It was the hardest, toughest job I ever loved. :)

728f08f0.jpg

I watched a couple of shows, but just watching the baiting and or hauling of traps is quite boring after awhile. From boating myself, the camera doesnt do it justice when your in rough water at all. I can definately appreciate what it must be like to work in those conditions though. Just from working outside myself and camping outside in the past, in miserable conditions... you do sort of just accept it and make it through, and it becomes an experience.

If that show used another clip or whatever, thats not a big deal, dont know how much longer that show can last actually. Then again, if they would want the most boring show in the world, they could film people shellfishing. Because that gets sort of boring after a few hours and i'd say they could never make that look exciting.

i knew they had some edits in earlier episodes becuse youll see the same scene twice. Ax men is pretty good so is ice road truckers, but i generally don't care for them after the first season. the show they sould be banning is the mythbusters wannabe smash labs. they have an asshole on that show whos official title is the "Ideas Guy".

How many soilders die for 20,000 a year, so risking it all for 40,000 for 4 months of work, you'll get new guys even if sombody dies everyday.

i knew they had some edits in earlier episodes becuse youll see the same scene twice. Ax men is pretty good so is ice road truckers, but i generally don't care for them after the first season. the show they sould be banning is the mythbusters wannabe smash labs. they have an asshole on that show whos official title is the "Ideas Guy".

How many soilders die for 20,000 a year, so risking it all for 40,000 for 4 months of work , you'll get new guys even if sombody dies everyday.

I once caught over $10,000 of shrimp in 4 hours. :yay:

If I would have been able to endure the coming 4 straight season draught, I would still be out there.

Archived