Happy Birthday, Willie

Jahfin

If you click on the banner in the first post of the thread it takes you to an extensive feature from the Austin American-Statesman.

You beat me to posting it! I really enjoyed the feature that the Statesman did for Willie's 75th. I've never been a big fan of his music but he certainly is a fascinating person who does his best to keep Austin as it should be: weird and to keep the old roadhouse music culture alive.

I don't know if you heard this piece from Texas Matters - a Willie Nelson special:

http://texasmusicmatters.kut.org/2008/04/2...-willie-nelson/

You beat me to posting it! I really enjoyed the feature that the Statesman did for Willie's 75th. I've never been a big fan of his music but he certainly is a fascinating person who does his best to keep Austin as it should be: weird and to keep the old roadhouse music culture alive.

I don't know if you heard this piece from Texas Matters - a Willie Nelson special:

http://texasmusicmatters.kut.org/2008/04/2...-willie-nelson/

Thanks, I look forward to listening to that.

Yay! Besides Waylon, the only reason I like country !

Waylon's Honky Tonk Heroes was my "gateway drug" to country, otherwise I wasn't a huge fan of it back in the day either. Not long after buying that album I also found myself picking up records by Willie, David Allan Coe, Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Brothers, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen and many others such as John Prine, Jimmy Buffett, Jerry Jeff Walker, Steve Earle, Guy Clark, Steve Goodman, etc. This led to a lifelong love of country music that continues to this day. I never have cared for the majority of mainstream country out there but I love the type that's been deemed unsuitable for airplay. Back in the 70s it was known as "country rock", in the 80s it was either "roots rock" or "cowpunk" and then morphed into "alt.country" (aka Americana, No Depression, Y'allternative, etc. In other words, there's lots of other great country music out there besides Waylon and Willie.

• 4 years later...

Willie's now 8-0 Happy Birthday ! !

There's a real nice LIFE ICON magazine devoted to Willie on newsstands now.

Willie performed a benefit concert in Austin Sunday night for West, Texas.

1518583.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived