Setting up a guitar to play slide

Mike2519

I've got a cheap Squire Strat that's not doing anything so I've decided to set it up to play slide, but I don't really know how to set the action or pick up height and I'm not sure on what tuning to use.

Anyone got any tips?

Cheers,

Mike

I've got a cheap Squire Strat that's not doing anything so I've decided to set it up to play slide, but I don't really know how to set the action or pick up height and I'm not sure on what tuning to use.

Anyone got any tips?

Cheers,

Mike

I have tried slide a few times and am by no means an expert, but here is what I thought about it.

I personally thought playing slide on a stratocaster was a pain, the neck was too thin, the strings too close together and I felt that playing on a wider neck would have been better. Second, its easier to play with high action. You need a very light touch and if the string touches the frets, you get a very ugly buzzing sound. Pickup height is a matter of taste, and as for tunings, experiment with different open tunings. Find a few slide songs to get a few ideas.

Thanks, I think I’ve got set up ok now.

I’m not looking for anything fantastic, just something to practice on. Like I said the guitar was just laying around doing nothing so I thought I’d have something I could keep set up.

Anyone got any tips?

Cheers,

Mike

C tuning works for In My Time of Dying. cgcgce. Frets 3.2.5. open and 12. Just a quick take on it.

Archived