Pearl Jam recording its ninth studio album

Pearl Jam Reteams With Brendan O'Brien For New Album

Jessica Letkemann, N.Y.

Pearl Jam has started recording its ninth studio album with producer Brendan O'Brien, guitarist Mike McCready told Seattle radio station KISW yesterday (May 1). Though only "four or five" songs are being worked on so far, McCready said the band is hoping to release the record in 2008.

The new effort, a follow-up to its self-titled 2006 album, finds Pearl Jam reteaming with longtime producer Brendan O'Brien (Bruce Springsteen, Rage Against the Machine) for the first time since 1998's "Yield." O'Brien has also produced Pearl Jam's "Vs." (1993), "Vitalogy" (1994) and "No Code."

The two parties first reunited last year to record a cover of the Who's "Love Reign O'er Me" for the soundtrack to the Adam Sandler film "Reign Over Me."

"Brendan works really fast," Pearl Jam bassist Jeff Ament told Billboard.com in March. "He's a super pro. I've always felt, working with him, that he understood me as a bass player and that's not always easy. A lot of producers are there to please the singer. But I've always had a great rapport with him. I can tell him I want something to sound like the O'Jays or Led Zeppelin or PJ Harvey and he gets it."

"We've always been friends," O'Brien told Billboard.com last fall. "They were great to me when we were making records together [before], and we still remained very good friends ... I still think they're a great band. Eddie [Vedder] has one of the best, if not the best, voices out there. When he sings, people believe them."

I read this and got very excited, but I don't think this is an album we're going to see during 2008 :(

In this day and age, an album can be out within a week. I don't see any reason why it can't be out.

Oh, and Brendan Obrien at the helm has me stoked.

I read this and got very excited, but I don't think this is an album we're going to see during 2008 :(

Depends on how they approach it. Considering they're touring all summer, who knows. But considering what big Zeppelin fans they are, maybe they'll take a page outta the book of how Zeppelin II came about.

Archived