Download Site

Ok I'm going to start this off easy..

Should this site offer an exclusive, official download site for unreleased/out-takes/live tracks? Be it from good quality bootlegs or from soundboard recordings..to out-take sessions such as the full version of "All my Love." Would this boast the Zeppelin image or degrade it?

On the previous forum, certain members of Led Zeppelin had asked Mr Rapallo not to permit links. That's what I was told anyway, and it was forum policy. If that is indeed the case, and their feelings haven't changed, the point is essentially moot. Besides, anyone can search Zeppelin downloads and find them, and there's no rule against discussing dates and shows here.

This is true. But it would be good IMO to simply have an official download site of previously unreleased tunes. If this is an official site, then the administrations would have to go through Page & Co. of course..but it would be nice to have an input from the band/site itself..

such as a '77 live version of SIBLY/inc. T41..

alternate mixes of tracks

soundchecks such as "The Rover"

Anyways, it out of our hands. Sure we can download the stuff and enjoy it. But for this site & Co. to take the time and clean it all out and put it on here would open up horizons!

This is true. But it would be good IMO to simply have an official download site of previously unreleased tunes. If this is an official site, then the administrations would have to go through Page & Co. of course..but it would be nice to have an input from the band/site itself..

such as a '77 live version of SIBLY/inc. T41..

alternate mixes of tracks

soundchecks such as "The Rover"

Anyways, it out of our hands. Sure we can download the stuff and enjoy it. But for this site & Co. to take the time and clean it all out and put it on here would open up horizons!

Ah, but therein lay the problem. It is precisely these alternate mixes and such that offend Jimmy. Many of these were stolen from his home back in the early 80s but people he trusted to care for his home while he was away, and that's something that really hurt him. Stuff stolen from his personal archive. Jimmy made it clear during the case in Scotland awhile back that free trading of shows between friends is fine with him. But package it up as a product, expect to profit, or god forbid circulate from his stolen private collection, and that's not cool with him at all. I won't lie. I have the 10-disc Antrabata Outtakes set. I didn't know how Jimmy felt about it when I got it a few years back. Suffice to say that out of respect I won't be burning any copies. It's out there if you look for it, but my (albeit modest) trading days are over. I might make a friend a copy of Danke Vienna, Intimidator, or Blueberry Hill or whatever as a birthday gift or something, that's about it. And it won't be through this forum. ^_^

If they wanted that stuff out, they would release it. Obviously they don't. And rehearsal tapes and live tracks are not suited to the MP3 format anyway. The source tapes on those are degraded enough let alone making them MP3s. Yuck.

If they wanted that stuff out, they would release it. Obviously they don't. And rehearsal tapes and live tracks are not suited to the MP3 format anyway. The source tapes on those are degraded enough let alone making them MP3s. Yuck.

Who said anything about MP3s? Most torrent/trade sites refuse to permit that format. The thread isn't about official releases, but permitting downloading boots and outtakes on the forum. Obviously you're not a trader/collector, so maybe this isn't something that would interest you. Oh, and you've got it backwards my friend. It's the MP3 format that degrades the source tapes. Just ask any hardcore collector. I've got soundboards that would spin your head like Linda Blair. No offense.

Who said anything about MP3s? Most torrent/trade sites refuse to permit that format. The thread isn't about official releases, but permitting downloading boots and outtakes on the forum. Obviously you're not a trader/collector, so maybe this isn't something that would interest you. Oh, and you've got it backwards my friend. It's the MP3 format that degrades the source tapes. Just ask any hardcore collector. I've got soundboards that would spin your head like Linda Blair. No offense.

Sorry for not being clearer I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that the thread starter was referring to paid MP3 downloads since I don't know of any band sites that have FLAC or SHIN torrents on them (although to be fair I can't say I've spent more than 10 minutes on any other band site...ever). And yes I do trade and collect and understand it's the MP3 that degrades the audio that was my point. Why take a sub-par source (like rehearsal tapes) and degrade it further. I love soundboards but for me sometimes the audience tapes are a little more fun. Depends on the taper and show I guess. I fucking hate MP3s though...won't listen to them unless absolutely necessary. Still don't own an iPod!

Sorry for not being clearer I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that the thread starter was referring to paid MP3 downloads since I don't know of any band sites that have FLAC or SHIN torrents on them (although to be fair I can't say I've spent more than 10 minutes on any other band site...ever). And yes I do trade and collect and understand it's the MP3 that degrades the audio that was my point. Why take a sub-par source (like rehearsal tapes) and degrade it further. I love soundboards but for me sometimes the audience tapes are a little more fun. Depends on the taper and show I guess. I fucking hate MP3s though...won't listen to them unless absolutely necessary. Still don't own an iPod!

Glad we got that cleared up. :D

I find the iPod handy for the car or sitting out on the patio with a book, or at the beach or somewhere where I can't nor would I want to, lug a box of precious cargo along. No more than I'd drag my 180 master vinyl to a keg party! All things have their place! ;)

There are many Zeppelin sites, albeit unoffcial ones of course, that torrent FLAC formats and such. I believe the question pertained to those being permitted here, and that's where forum policy, and the bands wishes come into play.

Also, when you consider what Kevin Shirley got from the HTWWW source tapes, and as powerful mastering softwares are becoming more affordable and common, it's no surprise people like the folks at Empress Valley (or regular average Joe collectors with a big fat Mac) are hard at work teasing out the nuances from those FLAC torrents and silvers, and releasing unofficial remasters to the world. And when you consider that many of those degraded MP3s and coarse video clips (some even silent) were available for viewing on the old LZ.com site, in the multimedia area (I haven't looked into that here, because I've had all those snippets on video since long before the advent of the internet)... Anyway, I get emails from the hardcores when anything new surfaces. Silvers and all that (as if I could afford them, but once they get out there, someone usually asks if I'd like a copy). So what it boils down to is, why, if all these things are out there for the picking, can they not be made available here? The answer is that they don't want to promote them on their official site. Maybe Jimmy's got a plan for the future and we'll all get a big surprize. The official stance, for the time being, is no links on this site. That's basically what I was saying in answer to the original question. Cheers :beer:

Just about every band that has released official bootlegs, lately, has offered up flac versions.

Archived