Has anyone every heard of this...?

There is a local guitar store that has this amp, but Ive never heard of it and have never played it. My main concern in buying it is that I don't know how it is clean. If anyone knows anything about it I will appreciate all the help.Thanks. The amp is labeled as a Gibson 1966 GA-35 RVT Lancer Amp for $450.

Well, I hate to state the bleedin' obvious, but wouldn't it be a good idea to play through it? Check out what's possible and what's not, and use your own guitar, not one from the store.

Sorry if this seems a touch trite, but I don't know of any other way of assessing an amp to see if it meets my needs.

RB

I just found one on ebay with a buy-it-now price of $799. So yours is either a bargain or not mint condition in some way.

Take your guitar, check it out.

FWIW Gibson amps are generally thought of as very good, although not well known, and can have that "classic" old tone. From the name I'm guessing it's 35 watts, so it should be fairly loud. Check on the clean volume, though, because it won't have switching channels or any of that modern stuff (who needs it ;) )

I've heard of the line, they're the Gibson goldtone series which idk if they are still produced or not. They were about 5 years ago last time I checked and were pretty well regarded (and expensive) amps.

I went to the guitar shop the Gibson was at and played my guitar through it ( yes i did play stairway and no i didnt get denied, every time i go into a guitar shop the first thing i do is find a 12 string and bust out stairway hoping that someone will tell me to stop so i can say "No stairway, Denied") but anyways this amp sounded amazing, great clean, but the most shocking thing about this amp was there was no buzz from amp or from my tele, which was a huge shock! I traded in my 90's fender stage for this amp and paid $250, so I am overall very happy with everything.

Archived