Pink Floyd- Mother (live)

Detigers09

This is kind of a random question, but I've been a bit obsessed with this song lately. When watching the live version at Earl's Court 1981, when the solo kicks in, they barely show the soloist at all. From what they do show of him, though, it does not look like David Gilmour at all. Did Pink Floyd hire musicians for The Wall tour, and if so, would they have one of them doing a guitar solo of this magnitude?

If it wasn't Gilmour, it probably would've been Snowy White. They did have backup musicians in '77 and on the Wall shows. From what I've read, the 4 backup musicians start the show with Floyd masks on, being the "surrogate band".

On the Division Bell tour, Tim Renwick played the solo on Learning To Fly each night, it was his "solo turn", where Gilmour gave him the spotlight once per show. Maybe that's what Gilmour was doing on "Mother"...

When I saw Roger Waters the first time (not the pros and cons tour), the whole crowd sang along with "Mother" so loud, you could only hear them - not the band. And most people didn't even know most of the words, so it then became loud mumbling.

Just recently, I saw Clapton - and was suprised to see another guitarist (Doyle Bramhall) taking many of the leads. It is somewhat of a quandry, paying big bucks to assumably see the big names always in the spotlight - but these other musicians don't seem to be giving anything less than what you expected?

When I saw Roger Waters the first time (not the pros and cons tour), the whole crowd sang along with "Mother" so loud, you could only hear them - not the band. And most people didn't even know most of the words, so it then became loud mumbling.

Just recently, I saw Clapton - and was suprised to see another guitarist (Doyle Bramhall) taking many of the leads. It is somewhat of a quandry, paying big bucks to assumably see the big names always in the spotlight - but these other musicians don't seem to be giving anything less than what you expected?

Eric has great respect for Doyle and if you listen to Him play You can see why.He has a great cd out.

Heck maybe two or three by now I only have the first one.

I thought Doyle was terrific - can't believe I've never heard of him, or anyone mention that he is on Clapton's tour. But I wasn't the only one suprised - there was a definite buzz throughout the crowd when he took his leads. I'm very curious what he could do with some Cream material?

Strangely enough, Doyle played lead guitar for Roger Waters back in 99.

Strangely enough, Clapton played lead guitar for Roger Waters when I saw the pros and cons tour. I couldn't have been more disappointed - with the whole production.

Archived