Hugues & Kettner amp

I was thinking of buying in the near future an amp, for the electric guitar that I'll buy in the near future!! hehe

I thought of buying something else than Marshall or Fender... When I went to Rush's gig in September I thought Lifeson's amp were sounding amazingly great!

So here's my question:

What are you thinking of those amps???

I want to play blues, jazz, rock n roll and hard rock with it.

You can't really ask that question. Its like asking if Marshall's good? In which the answer is yes and no, as I'm sure H+K have nice amplifiers in their line as well as mediocre ones.

Though I've heard good things about the statesman series.

I was thinking of buying in the near future an amp, for the electric guitar that I'll buy in the near future!! hehe

I thought of buying something else than Marshall or Fender... When I went to Rush's gig in September I thought Lifeson's amp were sounding amazingly great!

So here's my question:

What are you thinking of those amps???

I want to play blues, jazz, rock n roll and hard rock with it.

Hughes and Kettner makes good amps, but know that the amps that he was using run for at least $3k, which, I assume, is out of your price range. Here is what they have to offer, and they have a few amps, that if you were willing to spend a little extra now, you would never need to buy another.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?...kettner&st=

I

Try everything and buy the one you like best in your price range..same goes for guitars. Don't gravitate towards a particular model because someone famous uses it(you have to realize they would sound the same playing thru anything and only use what they use because usually they get it for FREE, why? to make people like you who see it want to run out and buy one). You are looking for YOUR voice after all.

Try everything and buy the one you like best in your price range..same goes for guitars. Don't gravitate towards a particular model because someone famous uses it(you have to realize they would sound the same playing thru anything and only use what they use because usually they get it for FREE, why? to make people like you who see it want to run out and buy one). You are looking for YOUR voice after all.

Oh no! I'm not looking for a well-known guitar model.

I'm gonna buy myself a Godin Montreal.

This isn't that good of advice, imo, well maybe more on the side not good reasoning.

Most great guitarists form their own sound. Very rarely with a world class guitarist, do they rely on freebies to sculpt their tone. After they have found their sound, maybe someone will come in and offer to do the job better.

If you like a certain guitarists sound, keep that in mind. It's true that each guitarist is gonna sound different through identical rigs, but as PJ Slocum points out, you are searching for your voice, so identical gear isn't gonna be too big of a deal.

Try to go by live tone, always. A Marshall MG can be made to sound awesome on a recording, nowadays. And remember that alotta guitarist are running through $20,000 rigs(ie. Alex Lifeson) So try to approximate, more than match exact.

Adjust EQ's on any amp you try, and crank it. If a store won't let you, buy else where. Extreme settings can get pretty harsh, or maybe the controls aren't that fine tunable.

Also, when shopping for a guitar, looks are important, especially for a beginner. You are not gonna wanna play something that makes you look like douche bag.

A good amp will make you sound better than a good guitar, so I would spend a little extra on the amp, if you are serious, and are pretty sure you will stick it out. You will thank me latter.

This isn't that good of advice, imo, well maybe more on the side not good reasoning.

Most great guitarists form their own sound. Very rarely with a world class guitarist, do they rely on freebies to sculpt their tone. After they have found their sound, maybe someone will come in and offer to do the job better.

If you like a certain guitarists sound, keep that in mind. It's true that each guitarist is gonna sound different through identical rigs, but as PJ Slocum points out, you are searching for your voice, so identical gear isn't gonna be too big of a deal.

Try to go by live tone, always. A Marshall MG can be made to sound awesome on a recording, nowadays. And remember that alotta guitarist are running through $20,000 rigs(ie. Alex Lifeson) So try to approximate, more than match exact.

Adjust EQ's on any amp you try, and crank it. If a store won't let you, buy else where. Extreme settings can get pretty harsh, or maybe the controls aren't that fine tunable.

Also, when shopping for a guitar, looks are important, especially for a beginner. You are not gonna wanna play something that makes you look like douche bag.

A good amp will make you sound better than a good guitar, so I would spend a little extra on the amp, if you are serious, and are pretty sure you will stick it out. You will thank me latter.

That's the guitar i'm gonna buy http://www.godinguitars.com/godinmontrealp.htm

I don't think I'm going to get Lifeson's amps! I know they must be way too expensive for me.

I'm just looking for something else than the average Marshall amp; they're legendary, but it's not unique anymore!!

Archived