JIMMY PAGE: Influences

beatbo

in more than one interview, jimmy page has described the rock and roll bug biting him when he heard scotty moore's playing on elvis presley's "baby, let's play house".

scotty moore, that stalwart of rockabilly guitar, has a long and fabulous history in music. the impact of the man cannot be measured by the influence on one guitarist alone. all the rock and roll greats have to pay respect to the writer of such great riffs as "that's alright", "milk cow blues boogie", "hound dog", "blue suede shoes", and dozens more.

here's some background:

from the rock and roll hall of fame site:

link

Scotty Moore served as Elvis Presley’s guitarist from 1954 to 1958, widely regarded as Presley’s golden years. Moore was a participant in the historic early sessions at Sun Recording Studio that mark the birth of rock and roll. It was on Monday, July 5th, 1954, that Presley, Moore and bassist Bill Black broke into bluesman Arthur Cruddup’s “That’s All Right” in a freewheeling style that brought together country and blues. They took a similarly approach to bluegrass legend Bill Monroe’s “Blue Moon of Kentucky.” With these spontaneous breakthroughs, conceived in the most innocent and intuitive way, both sides of Elvis Presley’s legendary first single and the first new strains of rock and roll were in the can. Notably, the single (Sun 209) was credited to “Elvis Presley, Scotty and Bill.”

Moore, a devotee of Nashville guitarist Chet Atkins, led a group called the Starlite Wranglers before Sun founder Sam Phillips teamed him up with Presley. Moore’s early background was in jazz and country, and he put these influences to use by counterpointing Presley’s vocals with melodic yet forceful solos that helped launch the rockabilly revolution. As journalist Colin Escott noted, “The first generation of kids who grew up wanting to play rock and roll cut their teeth on Scotty Moore’s solo.” This observation was confirmed by Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards, who said, “Everyone else wanted to be Elvis; I wanted to be Scotty.”

Moore and Black, joined by drummer DJ Fontana, served as Presley’s band onstage and on record until March 1958, when Moore and Black quit in a dispute over wages. Moore moved to Nashville in 1964. In addition to working as an engineer and session musician, he played on many of Presley’s Nashville sessions at RCA’s Studio B. Moore set up his own Nashville studio, Music City Records, in 1966. Moore and Fontana rejoined Presley for the televised 1968 “comeback special” (bassist Black had died in 1965). Over the years, Moore produced various albums, including Ringo Starr’s Beaucoups of Blues (1970), a Nashville-recorded stab at country music. Moore and Fontana reunited in 1997 for an album entitled All the King’s Men that featured all-star backing by acolytes of the two Presley sideman.

timeline:

December 27, 1931: Winfield Scott Moore is born in Gadsden, Tennessee.

May 25, 1954: The Starlite Wranglers, a country dance band that includes Scotty Moore on guitar and Bill Black on standup bass, records a single ("My Kind of Carryin’ On") for Sun Records.

July 5, 1954: Rock and roll history is made when Elvis Presley, Scotty Moore and Bill Black spontaneously perform bluesman Arthur “Big Boy” Cruddup’s “That’s All Right” in romping, uptempo style. The next day, bluegrass pioneer Bill Monroe’s “Blue Moon of Kentucky” is given a similarly playful treatment. On July 19th, the two songs are released as Elvis Presley’s first single, which bears the legend “Sun 209.”

July 12, 1954: Scotty Moore becomes Elvis Presley’s first manager with the signing of a contract that also bore the signatures of Elvis’s parents.

July 19, 1954: Sun releases “That’s All Right” and “Blue Moon of Kentucky” by Elvis Presley, backed by guitarist Scotty Moore and bassist Bill Black.

March 1, 1958: Scotty Moore and Bill Black leave Presley in a dispute over money. Moore releases a single ("Have Guitar Will Travel"), credited to the Scotty Moore Trio.

April 13, 1959: Thomas Wayne’s “Tragedy,” a million-seller released on Scotty Moore’s Fernwood label, reaches #5. Moore is featured on guitar and production.

1965: Scotty Moore releases his only solo album, The Guitar That Changed the World, on Epic Records.

June 27, 1968: Moore and drummer D.J. Fontana reunite onstage with Elvis Presley for the informal sit-down jam session that was a highlight of Presley’s celebrated “comeback special.”

July 1, 1997: ‘706 ReUnion: A Sentimental Journey’, a collaboration between Scotty Moore and Carl Perkins, is released on Belle Meade Records.

March 6, 2000: Scotty Moore is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the fifteenth annual induction dinner. Mike Leiber and Jerry Stoller are his presenters.

March 6, 2000: ‘All the King’s Men’ is released on Sweetfish Records. It features Scotty Moore and D.J. Fontana joined by an array of guests including Keith Richards, the Band, Cheap Trick, Ron Wood and Jeff Beck.

clips:

baby, lets play house

scotty and clapton doing "mystery train"

Scotty is something else. I met him a few years ago in Nashville at Summer NAMM. We talked some and shook hands (posed for a few photos). I'll see if I can find them. :) I met James Burton (Elvis, Rick Nelson, session player for you name it) that same weekend, too (also another influence for Jimmy). He invited me to my friends to Shrieveport, LA, for his birthday concert. He was really cool, too. Amazing guitar players.

R B)

Scotty is something else. I met him a few years ago in Nashville at Summer NAMM. We talked some and shook hands (posed for a few photos). I'll see if I can find them. :) I met James Burton (Elvis, Rick Nelson, session player for you name it) that same weekend, too (also another influence for Jimmy). He invited me to my friends to Shrieveport, LA, for his birthday concert. He was really cool, too. Amazing guitar players.

R B)

i would like to see those!

The Scotty influence is real evident when you listen to the Whole Lotta Love jams in the early years, all the way through the solo in Hot Dog.

That was back when Elvis totally rocked.....long before he became the fat Vegas dude in a rhinestone pantsuit.......ugh.

The Scotty influence is real evident when you listen to the Whole Lotta Love jams in the early years, all the way through the solo in Hot Dog.

That was back when Elvis totally rocked.....long before he became the fat Vegas dude in a rhinestone pantsuit.......ugh.

agreed.

these are excellent! thanks for the post!

Thanks. You're welcome. I'm sitting behind the guy with his hand raised (second picture in the first photo thread/link).

Getting my NAMM photos together. :)

R B)

Archived