Whole Lotta Love Live

reezon

I've always wonderd about the guitar solo live in this song.

It is one of the few that I thought the studio version was better

then the live version. And I'm not talking about the boogie section

just the solo,and lets face it that was really what grabbed a lot of us when we first heard it.

I guess what I'm getting at is why did'nt Jimmy let it rip live like he did in the studio in that particular

solo? it just never seemed right. It was way more manic in the studio version and thats what made that

solo in that song for me.

Any thoughts or comments from guitar players out there?

or anyone else?

utter cobblers my friend. :rolleyes: The studio take is argubly top 3 most iconic rock tracks ever&was a real production job for Jimmy to get he's teeth into. Magic.

But live was where the fun started. Your like me friend, we never seen em in their pomp.

Take for instance the version ive got on reet now. Seattle 17.3.75. And cant get away with not mentioning crunge boogie "I WANNA TELL YOU ABOUT MY GOOD FRIEND".

We all have our fave eras, for me it peaks on the latter 75 shows.

Nassau

Long beach

Vancouver

Seattle

LA

Earls court

This imo is Zep at their absolute peak. The best ever band&boy did thy know it

(Europe 73 not too far behind!)

utter cobblers my friend. :rolleyes: The studio take is argubly top 3 most iconic rock tracks ever&was a real production job for Jimmy to get he's teeth into. Magic.

But live was where the fun started. Your like me friend, we never seen em in their pomp.

Take for instance the version ive got on reet now. Seattle 17.3.75. And cant get away with not mentioning crunge boogie "I WANNA TELL YOU ABOUT MY GOOD FRIEND".

We all have our fave eras, for me it peaks on the latter 75 shows.

Nassau

Long beach

Vancouver

Seattle

LA

Earls court

This imo is Zep at their absolute peak. The best ever band&boy did thy know it

(Europe 73 not too far behind!)

That studio version was magic, but I never heard Jimmy ever quite nail it live.

As far as improvisation you're right. Incredible

Think of the pressures of the studio. At that point in their career they were still so new to everything and I'm betting Jimmy felt hard pressed to get it spot on.

I love his live versions though. His free style of improv lead to some downright earth-shattering moments. The version from 1970-09-04 is killer stuff. That whole rendition including the numerous other songs that are teased within is just incredible. And his use of the Theremin in the later versions simply takes the song into the stratosphere. One of their best live songs, imo.

Think of the pressures of the studio. At that point in their career they were still so new to everything and I'm betting Jimmy felt hard pressed to get it spot on.

I love his live versions though. His free style of improv lead to some downright earth-shattering moments. The version from 1970-09-04 is killer stuff. That whole rendition including the numerous other songs that are teased within is just incredible. And his use of the Theremin in the later versions simply takes the song into the stratosphere. One of their best live songs, imo.

Yeah there certainley were some magical live moments

Interesting! I've wondered the same thing. It's probably hard to nail, I've heard him try in earlier tours, just to be slightly off. I don't think they rehearsed trying to nail solos justt like the studio version. Rock and Roll was the best in 75' Immigrant bleww my mind because they added a solo, the rest of them they always improvised. SIBLY, ACHILLES, STAIRWAY, and when he could nail Heartbreaker it still gives me chills! Anything similar to OSAKA 9-29-71. Well, that's just the greatest opening ever! Immigrant(extended solo W/WAH-WAH!) and Heartbreaker(Awesome solo and unique, heavy drumming). Just a hint, but if you like Osaka, get the night before in Budokan it is even better!

Archived