Hanson

Taylore

(No, they didn't die. No, they're not gay. Yes, they looked like girls 10 years ago.)

Hanson is my favorite band. I got into them a few years ago and they are amazing. I admit that I used to make fun of them before I discovered them but they aren't a joke. They write their own music and play their own instruments and are incredibly talented. It's sad that they do not get the respect that they deserve because people still remember them from the "Mmmbop" days with their high pitched voices and feminine looks. People couldn't look past their appearance to see the true talent behind the band. Now, over 10 years later, people still won't give them a chance.

Here's some background info. During the process of making their third album "Underneath", they were having many problems with their label. Their songs were constantly getting rejected so they ended their contract, became independant and started their own label, "3CG Records." They made a documentary of their struggle called "Strong Enough to Break" that is available to download for free on iTunes (Underneath debuted at #1 on the Billboard Top Independant Albums chart and #25 on the Billboard 200 album chart, making it one of the most successful self-released albums of all time). Their latest album "The Walk" was released last year. During the making of this album, they became very involved in efforts to end extreme poverty and AIDS in Africa. They released a charity single called "Great Divide" in which all proceeds from the song went directly to a hospital in Soweto, South Africa. They also have a book available called "Take the Walk" which discusses the story behind their inspiration to help fight poverty and AIDS in Africa. There is also a 5 song EP to go along with the book and the sale of each book will raise funds to benefit the 5 causes on a website they began called takethewalk.net. You can listen to a sample of each of the songs on the EP by launching the media player in the upper right corner of the homepage on their website, hanson.net.

I'm not saying that everyone should be a Hanson fan. If you don't like them that's fine, but all I ask is that you listen to them before you judge them! They are most likely not what you'd expect them to be. Here's the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcifAzv8-bU. It's a great song and a little reminiscent of "Kashmir" :)

"Mmmbop"? Yeah, it's very catchy lol. And you're right about Bob Weir, I know he's a fan of them. Hanson joined him on stage at one of his shows. They have alot of great musicians who are fans of them. Jonny Lang, Rose Stone, John Popper and Carole King have all worked with them on some of their albums. They're good friends with Leon Russell. Bono actually called their music genius. And I know Nikki Sixx from Motley Crue has said that he has alot of respect for them, as well as Scott Ian from Anthrax. Oh, and Les Paul was very impressed with them when they played for him :)

i couldn't believe it when my friend sandra tried to get me to go to the hanson show with

her...even said she'd buy my ticket for me...but there was another show i wanted to see

so i passed...but she always tells me they are not the teeny-boppers they used to be...so

maybe one day i will check 'em out.

i couldn't believe it when my friend sandra tried to get me to go to the hanson show with

her...even said she'd buy my ticket for me...but there was another show i wanted to see

so i passed...but she always tells me they are not the teeny-boppers they used to be...so

maybe one day i will check 'em out.

Ohh, was it recently? You should have went! They are seriously amazing! They were never really "teeny boppers", they just kind of got lumped into that category since they came out during a period when boy bands and pop music were huge. They're really a great rock band and always have been.

Yes, Taylore, it was recently...they played the House of Blues Nov. 14...I went to see the

awesome Deerhoof at the Echoplex instead.

To confuse matters further, there is ANOTHER band called the Hanson Brothers, named

after the hilarious hockey-playing goons from the movie "Slap Shot"...here's a brief blurb

from the LA Weekly about their upcoming show at the Echo next week:

The Hanson Brothers -- the Canadian punk rock band -- were inspired by the fictional Hanson Brothers, who were characters in the 1977 hockey film Slap Shot. To confuse things further, the movie Hansons were portrayed, in part, by real-life pro-hockey-playing brothers, while the "puck rock" Hansons feature siblings John and Rob Wright, who also front the monstrously heavy prog-punk trio No Means No. (None of this sibling revelry should be confused with the godawful lite-pop swill of former teen-idol brethren Hanson.) So, it's kind of a parody of a parody of a sport that sometimes seems like a parody, if that makes sense. All you really need to know is that the Hanson Brothers -- the band -- crank out short, fast and brutally silly songs about hockey ("Rink Rat," "He Looked a Lot Like Tiger Williams," "Stick Boy") and beer ("Blitzkrieg Hops," "We're Brewing"). The Ramones remain a major influence on their sound and style (the artwork to the Hansons' 1992 album, Gross Misconduct, even parodies the classic John Holmstrom illustration on the Ramones' Road to Ruin cover). They've apparently got a new concert CD/DVD, It's a Living (on Wrong Records), but nothing beats getting beaten over the head in person by the Hanson Brothers' nonstop, high-sticking attack. It's certainly better than watching the unintentionally funny penalty-killing high jinks of this season's Anaheim Ducks.

Archived