I can't stand hippie jam bands!

Mountain Hopper

On new years eve and the night before I had to work 2 nights of widespread panic. It was terrible. Every song is 30 minutes long, they all run into each other, and they all sound the same. I don't think I could enjoy it even if I was stoned. Which reminds me, I've never seen so many drugs at one time. I thought I was at studio 54. Maybe the worst thing of all is they all do their stupid hippie dance, I wonder if they know how ridiculous they look. Anyway, I just wanted to vent. I wish I could have done like Cartman and break into the soundboard and blast some slayer. I suppose it could be worse though, next month I have to work the Cekine Dion show. Please pray for me.

On new years eve and the night before I had to work 2 nights of widespread panic. It was terrible. Every song is 30 minutes long, they all run into each other, and they all sound the same. I don't think I could enjoy it even if I was stoned. Which reminds me, I've never seen so many drugs at one time. I thought I was at studio 54. Maybe the worst thing of all is they all do their stupid hippie dance, I wonder if they know how ridiculous they look. Anyway, I just wanted to vent. I wish I could have done like Cartman and break into the soundboard and blast some slayer. I suppose it could be worse though, next month I have to work the Cekine Dion show. Please pray for me.

I don't know what's funnier. Your avatar or the subject title! :lol:

I hear you, man. Jam bands aren't my thing either. B)

Please pray for me.

I'm praying you get your mouth fixed. I'm dying laughing, and need the praying too.

It's the twirling that was driving you crazy, right? I can relate to you. I like some extended jams like the Mars Volta, but many of those 'hippie' bands you're talking about make me feel as crazy as you look.

Please, go see a plastic surgeon.

*Looks like Rock Action and I are on the same page, literally. B)

I'm not sure what more irritating, the bands or their fans. I saw Mistake Dylan a couple of years ago and it appears all the Dead fans are now hanging out at Dylan concerts. In attendance were people dancing with sunflowers, various people talking to themselves and a bunch of other types that I thought didn't exist anymore. Maybe I need to get out more.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of "jam" bands either but I do love the Grateful Dead and the Alllman Brothers Band. I also don't mind Widespread that much but the fan aspect can be rather annoying. I also like Donna the Buffalo and Yonder Mountain String Band. A friend took me to see Phish at the now defunct Boathouse in Norfolk back in the early 90s. I liked them well enough but have never really understood what all the fuss is about them and still don't.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of "jam" bands either but I do love the Grateful Dead and the Alllman Brothers Band. I also don't mind Widespread that much but the fan aspect can be rather annoying. I also like Donna the Buffalo and Yonder Mountain String Band. A friend took me to see Phish at the now defunct Boathouse in Norfolk back in the early 90s. I liked them well enough but have never really understood what all the fuss is about them and still don't.

Phish I think were desperately trying to be the Dead and just didn't have enough originality (IMO). I like the Dead a lot too and some Widespread Panic. As far as jam bands, depends on how they go about it musically.

Phish I think were desperately trying to be the Dead and just didn't have enough originality (IMO). I like the Dead a lot too and some Widespread Panic. As far as jam bands, depends on how they go about it musically.

I don't know that they were necessarily trying to be the Grateful Dead as I honestly don't see that much similarity between the two other than the improvisation angle. By that token, Zeppelin was also known for their ability to improv but I've never once heard them referred to as a "jam" band. One thing I did notice about Phish was that after the demise of the Grateful Dead a lot of Deadheads latched on to Phish in an effort to replace the following them on the road experience. Same thing with the Allman Brothers. I've also attended a few Dylan shows but didn't notice a huge influx of Deadheads as they've pretty much always shared the same fanbase anyway.

I don't know that they were necessarily trying to be the Grateful Dead as I honestly don't see that much similarity between the two other than the improvisation angle. By that token, Zeppelin was also known for their ability to improv but I've never once heard them referred to as a "jam" band. One thing I did notice about Phish was that after the demise of the Grateful Dead a lot of Deadheads latched on to Phish in an effort to replace the following them on the road experience. Same thing with the Allman Brothers. I've also attended a few Dylan shows but didn't notice a huge influx of Deadheads as they've pretty much always shared the same fanbase anyway.

Maybe it's the fact a lot of Deadheads followed Phish after the Dead's demise that makes me think of them in a similar light. But even to a certain extent their sound I felt was reminicent of the Dead, albeit indirectly perhaps.

I've not heard that about Dylan shows having a Dead following now but as you said, the fanbase has always been similar.

Phish has employed outside writers but never anyone of the same caliber as Robert Hunter. That's another huge difference between the two to me. While Phish's lyrics have always tended towards the nonsense side, the Grateful Dead's are like mini-movies: Jack Straw, Friend of the Devil, etc.

Phish has employed outside writers but never anyone of the same caliber as Robert Hunter. That's another huge difference between the two to me. While Phish's lyrics have always tended towards the nonsense side, the Grateful Dead's are like mini-movies: Jack Straw, Friend of the Devil, etc.

Agreed. As I said, I never really took to Phish. I always thought the words to Wharf Rat told quite a tale.

Best. Thread. Ever. :hysterical:

Yeah, the jam thing isn't really my scene, either. I like the Grateful Dead all right, and Mars Volta but the rest...meh. It seems to me that a lot of people use "jamming" as an excuse not to have to think too hard about writing a song. As long as it's "groovy," it doesn't have to make too much sense. That's not true of all bands, of course (Zep obviously does some awesome jams - due to the fact that they have some structure behind them), but I think this is true in quite a few cases.

And yeah, I hate when all the songs sound the same. To use a diametrically opposite example, I went to see The Casualties (an '80s-style hardcore punk band) once, but I couldn't tell if they were playing one really long song, or a whole bunch of shorter songs that all sounded the same (I'm guessing it was the latter, given that they're a punk band). I left after...well, I don't know how many songs. Sounded like 1 to me. Anyway, no matter the genre, if all your songs sound the same, you're doing it wrong; I don't care how stoned or amped up you are.

Best. Thread. Ever. :hysterical:

Yeah, the jam thing isn't really my scene, either. I like the Grateful Dead all right, and Mars Volta but the rest...meh. It seems to me that a lot of people use "jamming" as an excuse not to have to think too hard about writing a song. As long as it's "groovy," it doesn't have to make too much sense. That's not true of all bands, of course (Zep obviously does some awesome jams - due to the fact that they have some structure behind them), but I think this is true in quite a few cases.

And yeah, I hate when all the songs sound the same. To use a diametrically opposite example, I went to see The Casualties (an '80s-style hardcore punk band) once, but I couldn't tell if they were playing one really long song, or a whole bunch of shorter songs that all sounded the same (I'm guessing it was the latter, given that they're a punk band). I left after...well, I don't know how many songs. Sounded like 1 to me. Anyway, no matter the genre, if all your songs sound the same, you're doing it wrong; I don't care how stoned or amped up you are.

Depends on the jam - there's a real talent to being able to do it. Some do miss the mark but a great many are pretty amazing.

Medeski, Martin and Wood might be grouped with a 'jam-band', but they're progressive jazz and kick ass musician's. They don't bore me at all.

I didn't see any twirlers at their gig either, thank god. People were actually paying attention listening to their intricacies, not off on some other planet oblivious to how well and what was being played.

Can't say I was every bothered by twirlers at Grateful Dead concerts. I always considered them as much a part of the experience as the performers up on stage. And who's to say they were actually into the music? Perhaps they were just as into the music as everyone else if not more so. That's without even getting into the whole parking lot scene. Now, if you want to get into poseurs (aka Wookies) that's a whole subject entirely.

They distract me if they're in my view. I don't care how people want to get into their music, I just don't like sound or visual distractions. To me, it's the same as people singing at a show. I don't go to hear them singing. I want an undiluted experience ALL coming from the stage. If it's a band I don't really get into I could care less, but those I do...don't bother me, please.

Archived