6/27/72 Long Beach

JimmyPageZoSo56

From what I have noticed (articles, ineterviews while, before and after release of How the West Was Won) Page clearly stated that the wole shows were recorded entirely. But only few songs are released and I did not see any source with more.

mmm ok cool thanks. I will have to check it out.

Just one more. In the early 1990s, when first CD bootlegs started to came out off the vaults, few sounboards were released, of which fragment of Long Beach was one of them. It consists of three songs only but in the perfect quality, much better than Hampton 9/9/71 for example. Near that time couple of more board tapes were on the streets, including several European 1973 dates and they are sounds excellent too. They have that specific "live" atmosphere captured not available on many 1975 boards for example. Some time ago I have received very strange message from the man who told me that he is almost sure about what he had noticed several years ago while collecting boots. The most interesting thing was the band recorded much more shows than we might think but he couldn't (or didn't) want tell me what are the proofs. Definitely these boards are came out from a different source than others because they are sounding much better and, what's very intriguing, mostly capturing not the whole show but only few songs (from the middle of performance as Long Beach or the last hour or so as it comes for Europe 1973). It showing to me right now that (possibly) someone transferred these portions of these tapes and brought them to the underground market but the band (Page?) have noticed this and took away these sources before as the entire tapes would be dubbed by the same person (persons?). That also can explain why there was some strange lack of new boards beetween early 1990s (Toasted Condor, Flying Disc era) and late 1990s/2000s (Empress Valley era). Speaking more honestly, in he middle of 1990s there were no tapes from the board! Isn't irrational? A true explaination, at least for me, is that Page at that time started to gathered a collection of many different sources of which he talked a lot in the past years and what finally turned into "BBC Sessions" in 1997. This double set was long awaited and Page was somehow under a pressure to release something new instead of another rerelease of studio stuff. Of course this is not a definitive proof but I think it can telling to us that the entire performances (Long Beach and Europe) were recorded by the band.

June 27, 1972

Long Beach, CA US

Long Beach Arena

Setlist:

Drone ~ Immigrant Song, Heartbreaker, Black Dog, Over the Hills and Far Away, Since I've Been Loving You, Stairway to Heaven, Going to California, That's the Way, Tangerine, Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, Dazed and Confused (incl. The Crunge), What Is and What Should Never Be, Dancing Days, Moby Dick, Whole Lotta Love (medley incl. Let That Boy Boogie, Let's Have a Party, Hello Mary Lou, Blueberry Hill, Going Down Slow), Rock and Roll.

I have the bootleg "Wild Beach Party" that is a mix of the audience tapes, and includes the whole show. (I think) Sound quality isn't very good. "How the West was Won" is a mix of Long Beach and L.A. (meaning Page has the whole show in perfect sound, but only chose certain songs to include on HTWWW)

Archived