Coldplay's Viva La Vida top-selling album of 2008

The Pagemeister

coldplay-cp-w6218926.jpg

Coldplay's Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends was the bestselling album of 2008 worldwide.

The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI) — which represents the recording industry worldwide — said Monday the British band sold 6.8 million copies of its album.

Coldplay captured two major Grammys last week: rock album of the year and song of the year.

Viva La Vida also sold more downloads than any other album in digital history within a month of its release in June 2008.

Coming up behind Coldplay are veteran rockers AC/DC, who came in at No. 2 with their 15th album, Black Ice.

Rounding out the top three was the soundtrack for the movie Mamma Mia!, which starred Meryl Streep and Pierce Brosnan. The movie is based on the musical play, which uses the songs of ABBA.

The rest of the releases in the Top 10 are:

* Rockferry by Duffy.

* Death Magnetic by Metallica.

* Spirit by Leona Lewis.

* Back to Black by Amy Winehouse.

* High School Musical 3: Senior Year soundtrack.

* Tha Carter III by Lil Wayne.

* Good Girl Gone Bad by Rihanna.

Congrats to them, I saw them perform on the Grammies. It isn't my style of music, but obviously it is someon'es else style.

Not to detract from this, but I heard that they were getting sued by Joe Satrioni (sp?) for stealing this song. Is there any truth in that?

I actually heard Satch was gonna make a stink of it at the Grammys. He should have. I'm not sure it was intentional, but that isn't what matters. Satch wrote the songs first.

If he successfully sues Coldplay, wouldn't he then get a Grammy as songwriter.

I actually heard Satch was gonna make a stink of it at the Grammys. He should have. I'm not sure it was intentional, but that isn't what matters. Satch wrote the songs first.

If he successfully sues Coldplay, wouldn't he then get a Grammy as songwriter.

That's a good question - I don't know how that would work.

As an aside, I honestly do not get the appeal of Coldplay - am I missing something? I think they sound like a middle of the road rip off of U2 :o

:ph34r:

That's a good question - I don't know how that would work.

As an aside, I honestly do not get the appeal of Coldplay - am I missing something? I think they sound like a middle of the road rip off of U2 :o

:ph34r:

It's not only you. I never get it, either. Along with Radiohead. :ph34r:

^^^ Radiohead is fantastic.

Coldplay is pretty solid. None of their songs are among my very favorites, but there are far worse bands to be as big as them.

Chris Martin is a douche bag. The way he talks like Coldplay owe Radiohead their career, and that they have ripped them off extensively. I think he just says it so people will always compare them to a band as great as Radiohead.

Check out Radiohead's performance of 15 Step at the Grammy's. F'in amazing.

^^^ Radiohead is fantastic.

Coldplay is pretty solid. None of their songs are among my very favorites, but there are far worse bands to be as big as them.

Chris Martin is a douche bag. The way he talks like Coldplay owe Radiohead their career, and that they have ripped them off extensively. I think he just says it so people will always compare them to a band as great as Radiohead.

Check out Radiohead's performance of 15 Step at the Grammy's. F'in amazing.

Ha - Radiohead have been around far longer than Coldplay too!

Archived