Definitive Concert Timeline

Colonial

I've been doing a reasonably thorough amassing of live recordings, to the point where I am now double/triple checking the various listings of gigs including the official timeline on the site.  The latter has a few errors, which struck me as odd.  I don't have examples handy -- I could dig them up -- but my question is: is there any consensus on a definitive listing of gigs (accepting that a few will always be rumoured/disputed), and if so where can it be found?

Apologies if this has already been addressed elsewhere on the site.

I've had a look through the early dates and for the most part I guess what I was seeing is that a number of the unconfirmed shows (or unlisted shows) on the official timeline are listed as confirmed on other sites such as the one above.  Examples being 1969.05.03 (The Locarno, Cardiff), or 1969.08.06 (Sacramento), though the documentary proof isn't that great and I assume these have been discussed elsewhere.

Also realized I was misled by an error on the "Checkpoint Charlie" bootleg of 1970.07.19, as it reproduces the poster stating the concert was on the 12th.  I assume this was postponed and/or a misprint.

One alleged gig that does puzzle me is during their early run at the Whisky in the first week of January 1969.  The posters say Jan 2-5, but the confirmed gigs are the 2nd, 4th and 5th.  Alice Cooper who shared the bill recalls that Zeppelin had to leave after the 5th because one of their members was ill.  Not sure that makes sense, as the posters said the end of the run was the 5th... but.... what evidence is there that they DIDN'T play four nights straight, and thus on 1969.01.03?

Also - there are quite a few unconfirmed shows on e.g. the above linked list, but only a few of these are listed on the official timeline.  On what basis are unconfirmed shows listed?

And can I just say I dig whoever has done all of this archival work?  Fantastic.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Colonial said:

I've had a look through the early dates and for the most part I guess what I was seeing is that a number of the unconfirmed shows (or unlisted shows) on the official timeline are listed as confirmed on other sites such as the one above.  Examples being 1969.05.03 (The Locarno, Cardiff), or 1969.08.06 (Sacramento), though the documentary proof isn't that great and I assume these have been discussed elsewhere.

Also realized I was misled by an error on the "Checkpoint Charlie" bootleg of 1970.07.19, as it reproduces the poster stating the concert was on the 12th.  I assume this was postponed and/or a misprint.

One alleged gig that does puzzle me is during their early run at the Whisky in the first week of January 1969.  The posters say Jan 2-5, but the confirmed gigs are the 2nd, 4th and 5th.  Alice Cooper who shared the bill recalls that Zeppelin had to leave after the 5th because one of their members was ill.  Not sure that makes sense, as the posters said the end of the run was the 5th... but.... what evidence is there that they DIDN'T play four nights straight, and thus on 1969.01.03?

The itinerary is accumulated from all kinds of sources including: ads, tickets, contracts, travel documents, internal band memos, press, reviews and input from fans & collectors. There's a large collection of press & clippings in the archives, as well as my own stuff and fan submitted material. (Lots more that I'm still sorting through for posting on the site). Whenever possible, I've asked members of the band for confirmation about shows in question, if they happen to recall anything. 

Whisky,  Jan 3rd:   JP was ill during these shows and as a result apparently didn't do all the dates, which he confirmed. Jan. 3 was determined as the cancelled date.

-"Cardiff 1969":  This show occurred on http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/april-2-1969

-"Aug. 6, 1969 Sacramento":  I'd have to double check, but it was determined that date is incorrect.

As for other unconfirmed shows, we've kept some listed on the Timeline as "unconfirmed", where there is some evidence of a show being booked, but unclear if it actually happened. There's some early dates that have circulated for decades that are just incorrect or made up information and we haven't listed those. It's a perpetual work-in-progress and there's always new information that surfaces which helps fine tune the accuracy.

4 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

The itinerary is accumulated from all kinds of sources including: ads, tickets, contracts, travel documents, internal band memos, press, reviews and input from fans & collectors. There's a large collection of press & clippings in the archives, as well as my own stuff and fan submitted material. (Lots more that I'm still sorting through for posting on the site). Whenever possible, I've asked members of the band for confirmation about shows in question, if they happen to recall anything. 

Whisky,  Jan 3rd:   JP was ill during these shows and as a result apparently didn't do all the dates, which he confirmed. Jan. 3 was determined as the cancelled date.

-"Cardiff 1969":  This show occurred on http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/april-2-1969

-"Aug. 6, 1969 Sacramento":  I'd have to double check, but it was determined that date is incorrect.

As for other unconfirmed shows, we've kept some listed on the Timeline as "unconfirmed", where there is some evidence of a show being booked, but unclear if it actually happened. There's some early dates that have circulated for decades that are just incorrect or made up information and we haven't listed those. It's a perpetual work-in-progress and there's always new information that surfaces which helps fine tune the accuracy.

Thanks very much for all this.  It's a wonderful resource and I appreciate the care that's gone into the curation.

Archived