Any Skiers In The House?

Charles J. White

Well, once it snows it's great. Mountain High is the main ski resort for the L.A. area, although there are other ski spots in the San Gabriel mountains that are northeast of downtown L.A.

LA-area ski spots were among the earliest to welcome snowboarders and build snowboard-specific runs, so whether you like to ski or snowboard, there are plenty of fun runs to choose from.

One benefit to L.A. is being able to hit the beach in the morning and the slopes in the afternoon for a surf/ski combination. Unfortunately, we are at the whim of Mother Nature...sometimes we get a good winter, other times it's time to crank up the snow machine.

If the snow is late coming to the LA mountains, there's always Mammoth up in the Sierras.

Check out Sugarloaf in Carabassette Valley in Maine sometime, great spot, same with Saddleback in Rangeley Maine. Good glade skiing through the trees, and excellent double black diamond runs.

Alberta is a great spot on the West coast as well - LOVE Nakiska and Sunshine

Some of the best powder I ever found was in Utah. Great place to ski.

Then there was Europe. Once I learned to ski, I graduated from the slopes of Deutschland to the Alps of Austria, France, Italy, and Switzerland.

That was paradise.

Check out the Jumbo Ski Resort in Northern British Columbia which is open 365 days a year. Fall/Winter/Spring vertical of 5,627 feet and in July/August 2,300 vertical feet. Jumbo is going to allow North American Skiers to compete on an even foot with our Europeans brothers and sisters for the podium!

Any Skiers or Boarders In The House? If so, let's hear where and why!

Our ski season is still on (well, closes this week) so I'm guessing most people currently on the snow would be here, NZ or South America. I've stuck with skiing, since 1980 and got all my 5 kids onto it but the 2 oldest have switched to the dark side ;)

Went down 3 weeks ago, beautiful conditions :)

And so far I've only ever skied Australia but between them the offspring have taken it to NZ, France, Canada, Japan and my son and his fiancee are going to USA in Jan.

Haven't skied in two years due to surgery, but I'm going for a test ride this year. Only skied out West once, and that was at Heavenly Valley. Skiing in Michigan is like comparing the soap box derby to Formula one, but it's still a blast.

Haven't skied in two years due to surgery, but I'm going for a test ride this year. Only skied out West once, and that was at Heavenly Valley. Skiing in Michigan is like comparing the soap box derby to Formula one, but it's still a blast.

Mount Bohemia Ski Resort in Michigan has 820 vertical feet which is a nice little mountain that I skied at many years ago when I was there for work.

Mount Bohemia Ski Resort in Michigan has 820 vertical feet which is a nice little mountain that I skied at many years ago when I was there for work.

Yes, but that's a long way away for me.....I could almost get to Vermont in the same amount of time. Plus, that place is off of Superior and gets whacked with serious lake-effect snow. A guy from work grew up by Houghton-Hancock on the Keewenaw and school was cancelled 48 days because of snow. They had make-up days until the middle of July. Hell, there's more snowmobiles than cars up there ! Making it to Boyne Highlands is about the best I can do on a weekend. Even that 4 hour drive has turned into 15 during a storm. Did you work in Marquette ?

I love skiing because after two runs.....I forget about everything. It's the only sport that does that for me. lol....could be the fear of injury.

Closer drive and more fun would be Whiteface New York for you - highest vertical in Eastern North America at 3,400 ft. Catch on a cold day and you have lots of ice though, catch it on a warmer day and you could have 2 feet of fresh powder. Also check out New Hampshire - closer compared to Vermont and has some great spots as well.

Tell us about Australia skiing? Good spots? Types of runs and so on? Where are they?

I'm not suggesting everybody should rush down here ;) we have plenty of 'snow-snobs' who say they'd only ever ski overseas and that here is too expensive but I always have fun. Plenty of Northern Hemisphere instructors come down for our winter.

There are 10 resorts, 8 in the mainland 'Snowy Mountains' between Sydney and Mebourne, slighty closer to the latter. Official season is June - Oct but best conditions probably mid-july to early September. Our highest mountain is only 2228m (about 7000ft), highest lifted point just over 2000m and the typical natural winter snow-line about 1650m but random falls down to 800m. So there's not big verticals (probably 1000ft at the bigger resorts, although one claims 1800ft, obviously with snowmaking assistance on the lower slopes). The largest resort has 50 lifts and a skiable area of 1245Ha (about 4.5 sq. miles). They all have a selection of green, blue and black runs. The larger resorts have pipes, parks, etc.

What people would see different here is the vegetation - trees are snow gums (evergreen eucalypts rather than conifers) and the fauna - as the resorts are in National Parks there's wallabies, wombats and the like, which don't hibernate.

Sorry to point this out but are we actually skiiers or skiers ? Is it skiing ? That's actually the only word that looks right besides ski itself. I've actually been to the 'Skiing Hall of Fame' in Ishpeming, Mi. I have no idea why it's located there except maybe for the crazy hard-headed Norwegians and Swedes that migrated to the U.P. to mine iron ore. Supposedly the largest ski jump in the world lies in the U.P. of Michigan by Ironwood....and I hear they have ameuter night ! If you're dumb enough to go, they're smart enough to watch !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived