Any Skiers In The House?

Charles J. White

Way to go Charles. I have never been skiing. I smashed my Patella to pieces a few years ago so that counts me out. Anyway I am more of a warm and sea person myself. B)

Next time you visit Cow Bay let me know, we can take the boat out – my 10 year old likes being the Captain. I think I posted a picture of him at the wheel in the photography discussion here on the site.

I skied back in the day up in New Hampshire and Vermont, At Mt. Snow,Killington,Attitash,and Ascutney havent skied in years. My first time skiing was at Attitash in N.H. They had a keg on the top of the mountain that was awesome, ski down ride up and drink!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

my father used to make us ski and do macho stuff he like. i broke my collar bone sking the first time

My father was taught how to ski as a child, as was I, as were my kids. I'm not sure it's about doing something "macho" as it is about being outside, staying fit, and doing something that is exciting to the senses. Keep your powder dry!

post-4074-0-10320000-1368711620_thumb.jp

My father was taught how to ski as a child, as was I, as were my kids. I'm not sure it's about doing something "macho" as it is about being outside, staying fit, and doing something that is exciting to the senses. Keep your powder dry!

attachicon.gifBackside of Saddleback 3.jpg

my father made us to things because he wanted it that way even if we were not comfortable. skiing is to expensive for most of my friends we arent rich i guess

my father made us to things because he wanted it that way even if we were not comfortable. skiing is to expensive for most of my friends we arent rich i guess

That bums me out to be honest that either you or some of your friends might shy away from skiing/snowboarding because of a perceived ‘expensive image’. Between kijiji, craigslist, and E-Bay you can find some really sweet deals. If you need help searching out ski gear let me know, anytime I can turn someone onto skiing is a good day! Take great pride in helping people learn how to ski

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Charles, I wish I had more stories to share. I'm just an intermediate skier. I've skied Killington and Stowe in Vermont, and Loon and Waterville Valley in New Hampshire. I also skied for two days at Kitzbuhl in Austria. And of course I've skied some tiny mountains here in Virginia. I can get down any run without falling, but I don't always look good doing it, that's for sure. Lol.

Cannon in New Hampshire is a beast, Sugarloaf in my opinion offers the best overall skiing in New England and some of the most difficult terrain followed very closely by Saddleback - but the stuff in Vermont is pretty good. If you go to Quebec try Le Massif which is a real leg burner as well.

Arizona has an GREAT place outside of a little community called Flagstaff, the mountain is named Snowbowl had many many good times there, not well known but lots of fun.

Alberta is loads of fun, and British Columbia offers in my view the best skiing anywhere in the world because every mountain is different from powder, to ice and so on, I'm including France in that as well which has the highest verticals, but the terrain is more or less the same.

I'm also convinced that learning how to ski on ice (Maine/New Hampshire/Whiteface and the Maritimes) makes you a much better skier because if you can push it on ice and really ride on the edge and I mean hang on for your life you can ski almost anything and end up a better skiers compared to the guys out in BC and the American Western states.

Riding it down a double back diamond headwall downhill race course is at the same level of an orgasm for me, this movie really explains it in a way that civilians will understand who feel safe walking and riding the bus and so on and who really don't understand what skiing is about. I come from a racing background and when you finish a race, and you are so weak that you physically collapse on the ground because your legs can't hold you up, or that, moment before you get to the bottom of the course near the finish line, and your vision starts to go because all of the blood in your body is going to your legs to keep you from crashing is amazing.

There is a moment when you are standing in a starting gate, and it's quiet, and all of sudden your teammates and your coaches starts yelling at you to kick ass at the top of their lungs and while that is going you can hear the clock and the timer counting down out loud and you know you have seconds to tear out of the starting gate and live life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-NL-iby9zY

• 5 weeks later...

Archived