Loss of local community connections?

karuna

Do you know your neighbors that live next to you? Do you know much about them like their opinions on goverment, education, police activities, or maybe their first names? Do you know if they have kids and what the kids names are? When I was growing up I recall that my parents knew everyone on the block and indeed had block parties. Us kids could go in and out of just about any of the block's homes. Everyone knew everyones name, where they lived, and who the parents were(sadly we could never get away with anything ha ha). However, my parents felt quite safe reguarding their children and we never experienced any problems. We were exposed to not only many different ways to be human across the lifespan but also different ways to make spaghetti.

Recently I was speaking to my folks and I asked about a neighbor I used to know and sadly my parents said they haven't seen or talked to that person in over a decade and that indeed they really didnt know anyone around them at all (they still live in the home that I was raised in). What the hell happened? Is this the case where you live? I've attempted to get to know my present neighbors but I have to say it has fizzled out more often than not. Everyone seems so self-absorbed.

Do you know your neighbors that live next to you? Do you know much about them like their opinions on goverment, education, police activities, or maybe their first names? Do you know if they have kids and what the kids names are? When I was growing up I recall that my parents knew everyone on the block and indeed had block parties. Us kids could go in and out of just about any of the block's homes. Everyone knew everyones name, where they lived, and who the parents were(sadly we could never get away with anything ha ha). However, my parents felt quite safe reguarding their children and we never experienced any problems. We were exposed to not only many different ways to be human across the lifespan but also different ways to make spaghetti.

Recently I was speaking to my folks and I asked about a neighbor I used to know and sadly my parents said they haven't seen or talked to that person in over a decade and that indeed they really didnt know anyone around them at all (they still live in the home that I was raised in). What the hell happened? Is this the case where you live? I've attempted to get to know my present neighbors but I have to say it has fizzled out more often than not. Everyone seems so self-absorbed.

i think it is happening all over the world. i had the same kind of experience as a youngster. i grew up in a small town, so not only did i know all the neighbours, but most adults knew the entire town, at least to say hi anyway. it is sad, i wish it wasn't this way. about a year ago i attempted to make friends with a woman that moved in next door, but she wasn't into it at all, and she moved on soon after, maybe that's why. but i was really sad at the time. i mean, you never know when you need someone RIGHT NOW, and a neighbour is gonna be able to get to you quicker than anybody else.

• 3 weeks later...

America is a very diverse place, but from where I've been and what I've seen, it has barely any solid local community. I think having a strong local community is an extremely positive thing.

Humans need that. I think we can take a look at a lot of the problems in America today, and blame them on this lack of family/strong local community etc.

Too many people in our society are self absorbed. They think that all they need is themselves and their job. When the job goes, like for so many at the moment, all they've got is themselves and most don't seem too happy with who they are to begin with. I think this all stems from people believing that old "I'm going to make it on my own" mentality . The fact is , nobody makes it all on there own. At least one other person somewhere in the process contributed to their well being. Hopefully, with any luck, this present economic crisis we are experiencing will wake those people up to that realization.

Archived