The Rumi thread

karuna

The Soundtrack to Suleyman the Magnificant by Brian Keane and Omar Faruk Tekbilek. Middle Eastern music and very ethereal.

Thank you I've ordered it at the local record shop (I guess I just dated myself LoL)

but come! Take a pick-axe

and break apart

your stony self

the heart's matrix

is glutted with rubies

springs of laughter

are buried in your breast

unstop the wine jar,

batter down the door

to the treasury of nonexistence

the water in your jug

is brackish and low

smash the jug

and come to the river!

Can anyone suggest some CD's for background when reading him?

here´s a very nice rumi album indeed:

http://www.myspace.com/rumilovedrunk

it´s eastern music tastefully put to spoken/sung rumi poems, so i´m not sure if u will like to read when u r listening to it tho. shahram shiva is a persian guy living in new york, teaching whirling dervish techniques, translates rumi poems into english.

the music on the album is very tranquil and intense, great for relaxing & reflecting.

enjoy!

It's wonderful and if you like Omar's sound, I'm happy to recommend other cds to check out.

...tks Nine, his music is haunting...(I have listened to him, it's been a while)...these two pieces are too beautiful and took me back to some familiar songs that I knew long ago....tks. lot...I will have to buy some of his CD's ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFBpREV40so...feature=related

Hasret ---"Feelings" very familiar to me ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZkTsm2hAF8

...1967/1968 India...Jimmy Page was just visiting for the very first time? (the last tour of the Yardbirds... I think he has visited once before this time...always important to me... :wub:

(I just can't remember now...)

:D :D

Edited by PlanetPage

...tks Nine, his music is haunting...(I have listened to him, it's been a while)...these two pieces are too beautiful and took me back to some familiar songs that I knew long ago....tks. lot...I will have to buy some of his CD's ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFBpREV40so...feature=related

Hasret ---"Feelings" very familiar to me ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZkTsm2hAF8

...1967/1968 India...Jimmy Page was just visiting for the very first time? (the last tour of the Yardbirds... I think he has visited once before this time...always important to me... :wub:

(I just can't remember now...)

:D :D

Both Omar songs are beautiful. I was lucky enough to see him in concert. Absolutely amazing show.

Translations are always a delicate balance between literal accuracy and the spirit of the intent. Thanks for this suggestion, will check it out and compare to others.

On another note, here's a site I found about Rumi that might be of interest:

http://www.rumi.net/

Thanks for the link! I look forward to checking through it when I have some time :)

Thanks for the link! I look forward to checking through it when I have some time :)

In between thunderstorms, huh? ;) Or perhaps in the middle of one if it keeps you awake. There's actually some very interesting info that's right out of The Alchemist (LOVE that book!) in terms of being a ready apprentice when the master came. If you're lucky you get several in a lifetime.

Cheers, nine, I hope you find it useful!

Its great writing, but from a different time. some hearts are -glutted up with rubies these days....so that makes it worse for simple happiness to actually happen.

If you are irritated by every rub,

how will your mirror be polished?

In between thunderstorms, huh? ;) Or perhaps in the middle of one if it keeps you awake. There's actually some very interesting info that's right out of The Alchemist (LOVE that book!) in terms of being a ready apprentice when the master came. If you're lucky you get several in a lifetime.

Cheers, nine, I hope you find it useful!

I'm sure I will find it very useful :D I've not read the Alchemist but do know of the book. Between all the books and cds I want, I need a lottery win fast :lol:

Edited by ninelives

I'm sure I will find it very useful :D I've not read the Alchemist but do know of the book. Between all the books and cds I want, I need a lottery win fast :lol:

You and me both! Back in uni I felt so rushed to get through everything, it's such a joy to take my time with them, though factoring cost and time it's a pity I can't get through them all.

And by the way, nevermind about the thunderstorm comments. I think I was going for a joke but was on my second glass of wine (I'm such a heavy weight LOL, but it's been a long week and it's only just begun :P )

They're making a movie of The Alchemist (still in development)

Edited by Patrycja

You and me both! Back in uni I felt so rushed to get through everything, it's such a joy to take my time with them, though factoring cost and time it's a pity I can't get through them all.

And by the way, nevermind about the thunderstorm comments. I think I was going for a joke but was on my second glass of wine (I'm such a heavy weight LOL, but it's been a long week and it's only just begun :P )

They're making a movie of The Alchemist (still in development)

:lol: Wine aside, the joke came through ;)

Hard to say how a movie of the Alchemist will be. Could be interesting, though I'd like to read the book first.