U2: New album, new influences

Jahfin

Hi Ninelives, i was also at Live Aid at the JFK! I always say what a wonderful event it was to see Robert, Jimmy and JPJ together, even though the performance has been highly criticized by those who have seen it on video. They are just jealous, lol :) Did you happen to see ZooTV? That tour was remarkable musically, visually, and emotionally! Bono calling the White House and ordering pizza's, what a trip!

It was a wonderful event in general - I was pretty emotional the whole day, caught up in the spirit of it. The people my friend and I sat near were fantastic. When the guys came on stage, I cried. I wanted so badly to see them in 1980 and the fact they got together for this event was just beyond words. To me it didn't matter if they played their best or not, it was about the day, what it meant, how it brought them together.

I did see the ZooTV tour!

It was a wonderful event in general - I was pretty emotional the whole day, caught up in the spirit of it. The people my friend and I sat near were fantastic. When the guys came on stage, I cried. I wanted so badly to see them in 1980 and the fact they got together for this event was just beyond words. To me it didn't matter if they played their best or not, it was about the day, what it meant, how it brought them together.

I did see the ZooTV tour!

I felt the same wayas you. My best friend Lynda and I went to Live Aid (and my youngest sister who was 15 at the time). Lynda and I were Zeppelin fans from the start of our friendship at age 11. We missed seeing Zep because we were really too young, but ITTOD would have been our first time, and we were heartbroken over missing our chance. We loved the performance because of our "heartthrobs", Robert was mine, Jimmy was hers!

Did you see ZooTv in Philly? I was at their Vet Stadium show in the summer of 92.

I felt the same wayas you. My best friend Lynda and I went to Live Aid (and my youngest sister who was 15 at the time). Lynda and I were Zeppelin fans from the start of our friendship at age 11. We missed seeing Zep because we were really too young, but ITTOD would have been our first time, and we were heartbroken over missing our chance. We loved the performance because of our "heartthrobs", Robert was mine, Jimmy was hers!

Did you see ZooTv in Philly? I was at their Vet Stadium show in the summer of 92.

I didn't see the U2 show in Philly. Way too far! I was just there for the Live Aid show.

I didn't see the U2 show in Philly. Way too far! I was just there for the Live Aid show.

I wasn't sure if you lived in the area, but didn't want to come right out and ask! Glad you had a chance to see a great event at one of my favorite (sadly no longer there anymore) stadiums! I saw many great shows at the JFK!

I wasn't sure if you lived in the area, but didn't want to come right out and ask! Glad you had a chance to see a great event at one of my favorite (sadly no longer there anymore) stadiums! I saw many great shows at the JFK!

What happened to the stadium? I'm assuming they've built a new one?

Did you see U2's last tour?

What happened to the stadium? I'm assuming they've built a new one?

Did you see U2's last tour?

They tore it down because it needed too many repairs. Been gone since 1992. I always heard that stadium held 100,000 people, but read that with floor seating it could hold 120,000! Pretty big crowd! Some of the great shows i saw at the JFK were The Rolling Stones with George Thorogood, The Kinks with Foreigner, and the Round-up (ABB, The Outlaws, MTB, CDB). A little nostalgia from that event: http://www.geocities.com/scubadog.geo/roundup.html

A new arena was built in it's place a few years ago.

I haven't had the luxury of going to concerts like i did before having a child, but hope that will change this year! My last U2 concert was when they toured "All That You Can't Leave Behind" or otherwise called the "Elevation" tour...i plan on seeing them next tour! I have seen U2 six times.

They tore it down because it needed too many repairs. Been gone since 1992. I always heard that stadium held 100,000 people, but read that with floor seating it could hold 120,000! Pretty big crowd! Some of the great shows i saw at the JFK were The Rolling Stones with George Thorogood, The Kinks with Foreigner, and the Round-up (ABB, The Outlaws, MTB, CDB). A little nostalgia from that event: http://www.geocities.com/scubadog.geo/roundup.html

A new arena was built in it's place a few years ago.

I haven't had the luxury of going to concerts like i did before having a child, but hope that will change this year! My last U2 concert was when they toured "All That You Can't Leave Behind" or otherwise called the "Elevation" tour...i plan on seeing them next tour! I have seen U2 six times.

It definitely seemed bigger than some other outdoor stadiums I've been to!

I didn't see that U2 tour. Couldn't get tickets. I also plan on seeing them next tour. I'm looking forward to hearing the new record as well. Will be interesting to see what it sounds like given where in part it was recorded.

It definitely seemed bigger than some other outdoor stadiums I've been to!

I didn't see that U2 tour. Couldn't get tickets. I also plan on seeing them next tour. I'm looking forward to hearing the new record as well. Will be interesting to see what it sounds like given where in part it was recorded.

I got U2 tickets on Ebay once (that was scary, wondering if they would really arrive), that was for an out of town show, all the other tours were from a ticket agent. I had a family friend who has his own agency, so while i still paid a hefty price for tickets, i didn't pay as much as he charged others, and the seats were always VERY good! I don't want nosebleed seats for my favorite bands. I have been close enough to take some good pictures at many shows. U2 shows sell out too fast to get decent seats by traditional means. I am also looking forward to the new record. I can't get interested in most new music, so it's always great when a band i have loved forever puts out new music. I wish Robert Plant would write another solo album one of these days, minus any other partners (no offense to Jimmy or JPJ, but maybe offense to that bluegrass chic, lol). I miss Robert's early solo style.

I got U2 tickets on Ebay once (that was scary, wondering if they would really arrive), that was for an out of town show, all the other tours were from a ticket agent. I had a family friend who has his own agency, so while i still paid a hefty price for tickets, i didn't pay as much as he charged others, and the seats were always VERY good! I don't want nosebleed seats for my favorite bands. I have been close enough to take some good pictures at many shows. U2 shows sell out too fast to get decent seats by traditional means. I am also looking forward to the new record. I can't get interested in most new music, so it's always great when a band i have loved forever puts out new music. I wish Robert Plant would write another solo album one of these days, minus any other partners (no offense to Jimmy or JPJ, but maybe offense to that bluegrass chic, lol). I miss Robert's early solo style.

You know that you can get tickets electronically? You just print them out on your own printer. :D

You know that you can get tickets electronically? You just print them out on your own printer. :D

What printer? :) My printer has been down since around 01 when it ran out of ink and the cartridge it took was discontinued. 09 may be the year i get a whole new computer system! If you try to get tickets electronically, what are your chances, with all the other people doing the same, that you will get a seat for a show that often sells out within minutes?

What printer? :) My printer has been down since around 01 when it ran out of ink and the cartridge it took was discontinued. 09 may be the year i get a whole new computer system! If you try to get tickets electronically, what are your chances, with all the other people doing the same, that you will get a seat for a show that often sells out within minutes?

As good as anybody elses :lol: When I saw Eric Clapton at the HOB here, we had to phone in and they only sold 500 tickets :o Yeah we got damn lucky :D

Are you a member of U2's fan club? They offer presale tickets to members and you can get very good seats through them. I'm not but a mate of mine is.

Why aren't you interested in most new music out of curiosity?

I've never gone through a broker to get tickets and usually have pretty good luck scoring seats. Being a part of pre-sales (usually through the artists' fanclub) does help a great deal though. This past year I had great seats for R.E.M. (front row), Plant/Krauss and Wilco thanks to pre-sales.

Are you a member of U2's fan club? They offer presale tickets to members and you can get very good seats through them. I'm not but a mate of mine is.

Why aren't you interested in most new music out of curiosity?

I recall my sister was, but we never used the presales for some reason. I'm not complaining. It has been worth every penny and like i said, the ticket agent i used got us very good seats. He had a few sections reserved every event in the same area and they are just a few rows up from the floor on the first level either the first or second section from the stage. I should join the fan club though. Might be worth it next concert!

As for new music, i am very picky. I grew up on the best rock n roll ever made and most bands today (newer than the early 90's) just don't interest me. The lyrics are too juvenile for me to relate to and the level of creativity is pretty basic.

I recall my sister was, but we never used the presales for some reason. I'm not complaining. It has been worth every penny and like i said, the ticket agent i used got us very good seats. He had a few sections reserved every event in the same area and they are just a few rows up from the floor on the first level either the first or second section from the stage. I should join the fan club though. Might be worth it next concert!

As for new music, i am very picky. I grew up on the best rock n roll ever made and most bands today (newer than the early 90's) just don't interest me. The lyrics are too juvenile for me to relate to and the level of creativity is pretty basic.

No arguing the music from yesteryear was amazing but if you look away from mainstream radio, you can find some great stuff out there whichisn't juvenile lyrically or lacking creativity IMO :)

I haven't listened to "mainstream" radio in I don't know how long. Several years back I found myself listening to nothing but the local NPR affiliate and CDs since local radio had gone to shit so I subscribed to XM and haven't looked back since. Admittedly it's not as good since the merger with Sirius but it still beats what local radio has to offer (aside from the college stations). The Deep Tracks channel (one of the mainstays from XM) plays lots of the music I grew up on but with much more variety than you'll ever hear on "Classic Rock" radio. There's also channels for new music, old and new alternative, reggae, and almost anything you can think of. There's also tons of choices of stations to listen to through the innerwebz that offer much more than the same ol' same ol'. It also depends on just how serious you are about seeking out new music. Some seem content to be stuck in the past by listening to what's safe and comfortable. Personally I'm always seeking out new music in hopes of discovering that one album I never want to take out of the CD player. Lately, those have been new records by the Gourds, Tinariwen and the Gaslight Anthem.

I haven't listened to "mainstream" radio in I don't know how long. Several years back I found myself listening to nothing but the local NPR affiliate and CDs since local radio had gone to shit so I subscribed to XM and haven't looked back since. Admittedly it's not as good since the merger with Sirius but it still beats what local radio has to offer (aside from the college stations). The Deep Tracks channel (one of the mainstays from XM) plays lots of the music I grew up on but with much more variety than you'll ever hear on "Classic Rock" radio. There's also channels for new music, old and new alternative, reggae, and almost anything you can think of. There's also tons of choices of stations to listen to through the innerwebz that offer much more than the same ol' same ol'. It also depends on just how serious you are about seeking out new music. Some seem content to be stuck in the past by listening to what's safe and comfortable. Personally I'm always seeking out new music in hopes of discovering that one album I never want to take out of the CD player. Lately, those have been new records by the Gourds, Tinariwen and the Gaslight Anthem.

One of my favorites. I've contemplated XM but I've not looked into the cost etc. I mostly discover new music through the internet - myspace, here, friends, magazines. There's certainly no shortage of amazing music out there!

No arguing the music from yesteryear was amazing but if you look away from mainstream radio, you can find some great stuff out there whichisn't juvenile lyrically or lacking creativity IMO :)

At work we don't have much choice except to listen to the radio, iPods and such are off limits. On one side of the shop we have a classic rock station and on the other some urban screeming banshee shit! it's like radio wars or something :angry:

I would much rather be able to pop in my headphones and listen to what I like but such is the "Modern Workplace" :rolleyes:

At work we don't have much choice except to listen to the radio, iPods and such are off limits. On one side of the shop we have a classic rock station and on the other some urban screeming banshee shit! it's like radio wars or something :angry:

I would much rather be able to pop in my headphones and listen to what I like but such is the "Modern Workplace" :rolleyes:

That's too bad you don't have much choice with radio stations - you can't get any college radio stations?

One of my favorites. I've contemplated XM but I've not looked into the cost etc. I mostly discover new music through the internet - myspace, here, friends, magazines. There's certainly no shortage of amazing music out there!

You can do a free trial thing if you like just to see if you're going to like it. More info here.

A great show for discovering musical artists both new and old is Sound Opinions which you can listen to either online or via your local NPR affiliate.

There's no shortage of very good new music out there it's just up to the individual if they want to make the effort to find it or not.

You can do a free trial thing if you like just to see if you're going to like it. More info here.

A great show for discovering musical artists both new and old is Sound Opinions which you listen to either online or via your local NPR affiliate.

There's no shortage of very good new music out there it's just up to the individual if they want to make the effort to find it or not.

Thanks for both links! I think I'll do the trial and see how it works out. Personally I love hearing new music. I'm pretty open to giving anything a shot because you never know what you might end up liking. Worst is you don't and nothing lost IMO.

That's too bad you don't have much choice with radio stations - you can't get any college radio stations?

Yes Tulane has a station WTUL but just not my taste. I would usually get my fill of new and progressive music live at the clubs in the Quarter or at Jazz Fest.

Don't know why just seems more acceptable to me when I can see the musicians perform live :)

I think that's part of why i don't seek out new music. I don't have the technology for one thing. I know many people listen to music while on the PC, i don't have a system i can do that with. I also don't spend time on Myspace. This is really the only place i do visit regularly. I have SIRIUS on my Dish Network, but when i listen to those stations i stick with the classic rock ones, generally. I am more inclined to go back to the classic rock music i have missed out on and discover those bands at this point. As Jahfin says, i am one of the "comfortable" people. I don't only like rock music though. I also enjoy Classical music and there is much more out there for me to discover. I also listen Industrial/Techno, alternative bands from the 80's (such as The Cure, The Church, Cocteau Twins). I don't feel bored with the music i listen to, yet.

I agree that XM Radio or Sirius for the car is expensive. I wanted to get it last year and never found the extra cash to spend on it.

Yes Tulane has a station WTUL but just not my taste. I would usually get my fill of new and progressive music live at the clubs in the Quarter or at Jazz Fest.

Don't know why just seems more acceptable to me when I can see the musicians perform live :)

There are some great places in the Quarter to see music. I was there years ago and loved it. Have yet to make Jazz Fest. Some day I hope!

I think that's part of why i don't seek out new music. I don't have the technology for one thing. I know many people listen to music while on the PC, i don't have a system i can do that with. I also don't spend time on Myspace. This is really the only place i do visit regularly. I have SIRIUS on my Dish Network, but when i listen to those stations i stick with the classic rock ones, generally. I am more inclined to go back to the classic rock music i have missed out on and discover those bands at this point. As Jahfin says, i am one of the "comfortable" people. I don't only like rock music though. I also enjoy Classical music and there is much more out there for me to discover. I also listen Industrial/Techno, alternative bands from the 80's (such as The Cure, The Church, Cocteau Twins). I don't feel bored with the music i listen to, yet.

I agree that XM Radio or Sirius for the car is expensive. I wanted to get it last year and never found the extra cash to spend on it.

I love classical music as well and I'm a big fan of the Cure and Cocteau Twins (was lucky to see them live).

Speaking of old 80s alternative (which sort of ties in with U2) I was recently listening to the "classic alternative" (now there's an oxymoron for ya) station on XM before the merger when I heard an old Flesh For Lulu song called I Go Crazy. Somehow that one managed to pass me by. Hell, I never even knew it had been included on the soundtrack to the movie Some Kind of Wonderful. Maybe that's because I never saw that movie. I think after I saw Heathers I never felt the need to see another "teen" movie again as that one pretty much said it all. On the subject of Flesh for Lulu, Paul Westerberg covers their song Postcards from Paradise on hidden track that on his Stereo record from a few years back.

Archived