U2: New album, new influences

Jahfin

http://www.therockradio.com/2007/12/u2-new...influences.html

u2-live.jpg

U2 fans might be in for a surprise when the rockers release their next album, the follow-up to 2004's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. Frontman Bono says people will "feel the difference," revealing that the songs will have trance, metal and Moroccan influences. Bono told The Independent, "Normally when you play a U2 tune, it clears the dance floor. And that may not be true of this. There's some trance influences." Bono also said there's some "very hardcore guitar" and "real molten metal coming from guitarist The Edge. He added, "It's not like anything we've ever done before, and we don't think it sounds like anything anyone else has done either."

U2 started the album in Morocco last year and are now working through the demos. Bono said, "We have enough material for two albums but it has to be extraordinary. And I think we've got that."

The band members said they were influenced by a music festival they went to in Fez, Morocco. Bono said, "It was a real humbling thing for a punk rock shouter, listening to these people who just close their eyes for 40 minutes and sing the most sophisticated melodies."

There's no exact release date yet.

At least this time they don't claim that it's all back to the roots as they did with "How to Dismantle..." (which wasn't anything like their early albums). Might not hurt if they actually manage to come up with something new. I doubt it though.

I'll go out on a limp and claim that this won't be the most eagerly anticipated album of 2008.

There's never any telling with U2 (particularly Bono) but I think there was defintely elements of trance/ambient running through some of their work on Pop and I'd say tunes like Mysterious Ways have a very distinct Moroccan influence so it's not totally out of the question.

There's never any telling with U2 (particularly Bono) but I think there was defintely elements of trance/ambient running through some of their work on Pop and I'd say tunes like Mysterious Ways have a very distinct Moroccan influence so it's not totally out of the question.

True. Even Achtung Baby was quite a surprise in general. But an amazing one.

I didn't care much for Pop in general, too "Madonna" for me. There were some good cuts though.

Wow, i'm pleasantly suprised that there's love for U 2. On my regular Zeppelin Forum i always get quarted, hung and burned at the stake for even mentioning them. I usually PM with folks there who like them too, to avoid unwanted attention ! :lol:

Very anxious to hear what they're gonna cook up this time.

Wow, i'm pleasantly suprised that there's love for U 2. On my regular Zeppelin Forum i always get quarted, hung and burned at the stake for even mentioning them. I usually PM with folks there who like them too, to avoid unwanted attention ! :lol:

Very anxious to hear what they're gonna cook up this time.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Most sites will eat you alive for even mentioning U2. But that's their loss. They rank up in my top 5 bands. My boot collection says it all. :lol:

But I'm still a little hesitant when they start playing with "grooves". Like I said, Pop disappointed me a bit. But I'll keep an open mind. :)

The criticism is usually leveled at Bono for his political efforts which doesn't have a damn thing to do with their music. For some reason it's wrong for someone like Bono to try to better the world by holding court with worldwide leaders. I say if he can do anything to help, more power to him. I wonder if John Lennon had lived, would people be as openly criticial of his very similar efforts as they are of Bono?

The criticism is usually leveled at Bono for his political efforts which doesn't have a damn thing to do with their music. For some reason it's wrong for someone like Bono to try to better the world by holding court with worldwide leaders. I say if he can do anything to help, more power to him. I wonder if John Lennon had lived, would people be as openly criticial of his very similar efforts as they are of Bono?

Now there's an excellent point.

Bono gets eaten alive for having opinions in public and trying to DO something about the world's issues. Because, obviously musicians don't know jack shit about life, right? :rolleyes:

More power to him. At least he TRIES. Which is more than I can say for our crap government.

• 2 months later...

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003712235

U2 Hits The Studio In Dublin

u2_03l.gif

U2

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

U2 has hit the studio in Dublin to continue work on its next studio album with longtime collaborators Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois. "We're going to try and break new sonic ground and deliver a masterpiece," Lanois tells Billboard.com. "The sleeves are rolled up. Bono is all charged up with a lyrical angle."

As previously reported, U2, Eno and Lanois have spent time working on new material on three prior occasions in France and Morocco, and Lanois confirms the results are prolific.

"There's so much material," he says, referring to speculation that the sessions could yield two new albums. "When you get Eno and I and those guys in the room, before lunch there's like eight things."

"We've had some exciting beginnings via jam sessions," he continues. "Now we will pick our favorite beginnings and say, 'OK, that's a lovely springboard. Now what are we trying to say?' The springboards are sometimes melodic, sometimes riff-based, but I can assure you they are exciting."

There's no date yet for the project, which will be the follow-up to 2004's "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb."

In other U2 news, the group has contributed to a new charity single, "The Ballad of Ronnie Drew," proceeds from which will benefit the cancer-stricken Irish artist of the same name. The track will be available in Ireland only as a download beginning Friday (Feb. 22) and week later on CD.

In addition to U2, "The Ballad of Ronnie Drew" features appearances by the Pogues' Shane MacGowan, the Frames' Glen Hansard, Sinead O'Connor, Andrea Corr, Damien Dempsey, Ronan Keating, Chris de Burgh, Gavin Friday and members of the Dubliners.

The said 'metal influences' sound promising, but if they offset that with crap like Stuck In A Moment I'm afraid it might become a disappointing thing.

One of my all-time favourite U2 songs.

I can't WAIT for this album.

I'm always curious to hear new U2. I'm not a huge fan..but do like some of their stuff...

Come to think of it....the last vinyl album I bought before I changed over to purchasing cd's was WAR by U2.

So they do have a significant place in my music listening history. I still love BOY, their first, best of all their material.....plus seeing them then in '81 was special...few of us attended the Bijou in Dallas...George Gimarc is an old friend....hehehehe...

April 2, 1981, Bijou

(Album: Boy)

U2's first trip to Dallas was a humbling one. The Bijou, a restaurant-club in the Medallion shopping center at Skillman and Northwest Highway, had double-billed the band with a wet T-shirt contest (a fact Bono joked about onstage in 2001). All of 30 people were in the audience, despite a ticket price of $1.02, a tie-in with now-defunct rock station Q102.

When no one from Q102 showed up, George Gimarc, a jock from another now-defunct station, KZEW, got to introduce U2 as "one of the most promising bands from England," prompting a none-too-pleased Bono to reply, "We're from Ireland!"

Despite the gaffe, Mr. Gimarc (the author of Punk Diary) bonded with the band at a Ramada Inn near Interstate 635, where he'd driven them in his Chevy Citation. "My most bizarre memory was Bono putting a rough tape of new U2 demos into a jam box and then going to take a shower. He came out dripping wet in his underwear, toweling his head off and singing along. He was asking me, 'What do you think?' and I'm thinking, 'I'm getting a one-man concert with Bono in his underwear.' "

http://www.guidelive.com/sharedcontent/dws...n1.34a7aae.html

*Ooops...forgot the link...

Now there's an excellent point.

Bono gets eaten alive for having opinions in public and trying to DO something about the world's issues. Because, obviously musicians don't know jack shit about life, right? :rolleyes:

More power to him. At least he TRIES. Which is more than I can say for our crap government.

THANK YOU!!! People flinging shit at Bono for giving a damn and at least getting of his ass and not acting like a typical spoiled rock star piss me off. These are the same people who would ream him a new asshole if he acted like one of those typical spoiled rock stars.

One of my all-time favourite U2 songs.

I can't WAIT for this album.

same here

I'm always curious to hear new U2. I'm not a huge fan..but do like some of their stuff...

Come to think of it....the last vinyl album I bought before I changed over to purchasing cd's was WAR by U2.

So they do have a significant place in my music listening history. I still love BOY, their first, best of all their material.....plus seeing them then in '81 was special...few of us attended the Bijou in Dallas...George Gimarc is an old friend....hehehehe...

You were there Joel? How cool is that. I used to frequent the Bijou but not that night, darn it.

I don't think that too many people have a problem with his opinions. I for one don't. It's just that a lot of what he says in public makes me cringe because it sounds pompous and at the same time naive and simplistic.

same here

You were there Joel? How cool is that. I used to frequent the Bijou but not that night, darn it.

Yes I was Becky !

I've lived in Dallas off and on since 1973. In the early 80s I frequented the Bijou, Cardi's, The Hot Club and The Agora....for smaller venues. Used to go to Mother Blues, Gerties, The Adobe Flats, and several places along Greenville Avenue for smaller places in the 70s.

I saw some great music in those little places....

So...you were in Dallas in the early 80s, Bijou's glory days ? Where about ?

• 1 month later...

U2 Signs 12-Year Deal With Live Nation

Band Will Continue To Record For Universal Music Group

Yinka Adegoke, Reuters

Live Nation Inc has signed a 12-year global contract to handle the merchandising, digital and branding rights of U2, along with its touring. The deal comes just five months after Live Nation announced a comprehensive partnership with Madonna, which included her coveted recording rights.

But Live Nation said U2 will continue the band's long-term recording and publishing relationship with Universal Music Group, a unit of French media giant Vivendi.

"It's not a do or die situation that we have to be involved in the recordings," said Live Nation Chairman Michael Cohl in an interview with Reuters. "We'd prefer to, but it's not always available." The company would not reveal financial terms of the U2 deal.

The deal with Madonna, which included the recording rights, was estimated to be worth $120 million over 10 years including a three-album commitment after the artist submits her last album to her current music company, Warner Music Group.

Live Nation has been expanding its business model to develop more far-reaching and deeper relationships with artists beyond just handling their touring.

Its partnership with U2 will now include merchandise and licensing rights, sponsorship and strategic alliances, digital rights, fan club/Web sites and other marketing and creative services.

Cohl said the new model will help boost the overall company's profit margins. Analysts have said that touring and ticketing have traditionally been a low-margin business. Several of the company's executives, including Arthur Fogel, had managed U2's tours for more than 20 years.

Live Nation's attempts to diversify its business and win artists from music labels, come as the major labels are also trying to reinvent their business and win control of touring, digital and merchandise rights of their artists.

Cohl said his company will focus on signing other major artists rather than developing new acts such as a traditional music label or publishing house. "Our intention is to work with artists who are already making it or on their way to making it," he said.

U2's 2005-2007 Elevation tour is the second-highest grossing tour of all time at $389 million. The group is presently at work on its next studio album with producers Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois.

Archived