U2: New album, new influences

Jahfin

Speaking of old 80s alternative (which sort of ties in with U2) I was recently listening to the "classic alternative" (now there's an oxymoron for ya) station on XM before the merger when I heard an old Flesh For Lulu song called I Go Crazy. Somehow that one managed to pass me by. Hell, I never even knew it had been included on the soundtrack to the movie Some Kind of Wonderful. Maybe that's because I never saw that movie. I think after I saw Heathers I never felt the need to see another "teen" movie again as that one pretty much said it all. On the subject of Flesh for Lulu, Paul Westerberg covers their song Postcards from Paradise on hidden track that on his Stereo record from a few years back.

I remember Flesh For LuLu. I forgot they had the song was on the soundtrack to Some Kind of Wonderful (which I admit to having liked, along with Heathers).

There are some great places in the Quarter to see music. I was there years ago and loved it. Have yet to make Jazz Fest. Some day I hope!

It's not too late! :D

This year has a great lineup.

40th ANNIVERSARY JAZZ FEST ANNOUNCED!

Wynton Marsalis, Aretha Franklin, Dave Matthews Band, James Taylor, Sugarland, Joe Cocker,

Ben Harper and Relentless7, Tony Bennett,

Earth, Wind & Fire, Kings of Leon,

Neville Brothers, Wilco, Bonnie Raitt,

Allen Toussaint, The O'Jays,

Erykah Badu, Dr. John

Among hundreds scheduled to appear at

historic edition of Festival

http://www.nojazzfest.com/index.php?http%3...om/info/faq.php

It's not too late! :D

This year has a great lineup.

40th ANNIVERSARY JAZZ FEST ANNOUNCED!

Wynton Marsalis, Aretha Franklin, Dave Matthews Band, James Taylor, Sugarland, Joe Cocker,

Ben Harper and Relentless7, Tony Bennett,

Earth, Wind & Fire, Kings of Leon,

Neville Brothers, Wilco, Bonnie Raitt,

Allen Toussaint, The O'Jays,

Erykah Badu, Dr. John

Among hundreds scheduled to appear at

historic edition of Festival

http://www.nojazzfest.com/index.php?http%3...om/info/faq.php

:o :o :o I just took a look at the full line-up!!! :boohoo: Don't think I can get the time off work :angry:

You'll have to go and report back :D

Gee.... Nothing changes much......

Seems like everone with a new album coming out, or a new movie coming out.....

That could... paticipated in the Barak Presidental Concerts......

Yep, I'm sure whoever had a new album/movie to plug was exactly the criteria used when choosing who would perform at the inaugural ball. That's about as logical as the person in another thread that believes each Plant appearance with Zeppelin since their demise was somehow tied in with whatever his new release was at the time.

:thumbsup:

Well this even further peaks my curiosity about what the rest of the album sounds like! Clearly moving in a different direction from their last two records. Thanks for the link :D

"Get On Your Boots' takes a few listens to get used to, but I like it. Well, I like just about everything from them. Has a bit of that sound they used on "Pop" and a bit like Elevation. As a reference to Pop, I just hope when they take the show on the road they leave the giant lemon in storage.

u2-gal-lemon.jpg

According to some interviews with The Edge recently, he said some of the new tracks have a Led Zeppelin and White Stripes feel to it. I guess making the doc with Jimmy and Jack rubbed off on him.

"Get On Your Boots' takes a few listens to get used to, but I like it. Well, I like just about everything from them. Has a bit of that sound they used on "Pop" and a bit like Elevation. As a reference to Pop, I just hope when they take the show on the road they leave the giant lemon in storage.

u2-gal-lemon.jpg

According to some interviews with The Edge recently, he said some of the new tracks have a Led Zeppelin and White Stripes feel to it. I guess making the doc with Jimmy and Jack rubbed off on him.

Their last tour didn't have any of that stuff - just the stage and a screen in the back. I'd assume they aren't doing that sort of big stage show stuff anymore. But you never know! I'm excited to hear the album in full.

• 2 years later...

From Yahoo Sports:

How U2′s Bono hitched a ride with Oilers’ Gilbert Brule

By Greg Wyshynski

BONOOOOOO.jpg

On Tuesday, Gilbert Brule of the Edmonton Oilers and his girlfriend went out to walk their German shepherd. They ended up taking in an Irish singer.

As strange and surreal as it seems, this is the story about how one NHL player picked up Bono on the side of the road, and ended up backstage at a U2 show.

According to writer Ben Gelinas of the Edmonton Journal, Brule and Kelsey Nichols were driving in West Vancouver when Brule was convinced he had seen Bono hitchhiking. Nichols had her doubts, but Brule persuaded her to turn the car around and … well, it was Bono and his assistant, looking to hitch a ride because they had gone for a walk on a Beautiful Day, had been caught in the rain and were stuck in a moment they couldn't get out of. (We promise those are the only U2 song puns here.)

From the Edmonton Journal:

On the drive to Horseshoe Bay, Bono and his assistant sat in the back with the couple's dog. The four chatted about Brule's hockey career, about Dublin and Bono's apparent love for Vancouver. Bono mentioned that his band was playing a show in Edmonton on Wednesday and asked if they'd like to go.

So Brule and Nichols sold their tickets for Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals, bought plane tickets (three, so Brule's mom could come too) and flew back to Edmonton, where Brule is a forward for the Oilers.

Bono got them backstage passes to say thanks for the ride. On Nichols's pass, he wrote: "Thanks for the ride." On Brule's pass, he wrote: "My hero Gilbert."

Oh, it doesn't stop there, as Bono included the random act of kindness in his stage banter on Wednesday night. David Staples of the Journal said that Bono told the crowd: "I like ice hockey because people who like ice hockey pick up hitchhikers." He also said he wanted to be Gilbert Brule, while Adam Clayton is Grant Fuhr, Larry Mullen Jr. is Mark Messier and The Edge is Wayne Gretzky.

Watch it here as Bono tells the tale (starts at the 52-second mark):

As Bono discovered, hockey players move in Mysterious Brules. (OK, now we're done.)

Go and read Ben Gelinas' fantastic tale of Brule and Bono, the greatest rock-and-roll-meets-hockey story ever told. Or at least the greatest one until Taylor Hall gives Chris Martin a piggyback ride to a Coldplay show.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.freep.com/article/20110626/ENT04/110626030/U2-concert-goers-find-what-they-looking-for?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Photos at link

U2 concert-goers find what they are looking for

11:32 PM, Jun. 26, 2011 | 32Comments

BY BRIAN MCCOLLUM

FREE PRESS POP MUSIC WRITER Filed Under

Entertainment

Music

Lansing

Spartan Stadium

EAST LANSING -- On what just might have been a perfect June night in mid-Michigan, U2 reached high to create its own summer masterpiece.

The powerhouse Irish band brought its 360° Tour to Spartan Stadium on a gorgeous Sunday night, delivering a compelling, glorious performance on a mammoth high-tech stage.

It was a visual and sonic spectacular that deeply resonated with the elbow-to-elbow to crowd, keeping fans off their seats and occasionally dropping their jaws.

Only the stadium’s very upper corners were bare on a night that drew more than 65,000 for just the second-ever concert at the venue.

This 360° run zoomed past the Rolling Stones weeks ago to become history’s most successful tour. With a dozen dates left on the docket, U2 arrived in East Lansing running up the score, on its way to an expected $700 million total gross.

Sunday was all about size. It’s easy for a performance to get lost on a big stadium stage, the artist overshadowed by the sheer scope of the setting. But the coolly poised U2, on one of the biggest stages ever, was a match for its own ambitions.

With the late-evening sun lending a restless feel to the proceedings, the band eased into its show with a low-key air, and you might have figured that flagging interest is what you get on the 99th show of a two-year-old tour. There was a gentle restraint to the opening “Even Better Than the Real Thing” and slinky “Mysterious Ways.”

But as the sun set and the magic of night set in, the energy grew in an exquisitely paced performance, from the boundless old-school vitality of “I Will Follow” through the tightly angled, thickly harmonized “Get On Your Boots” to the lofty “Beautiful Day.”

The towering stage set, with its four-legged claw planted across 40 yards, lived up to its billing, with a visual wow factor that U2 will find hard to top.

With Larry Mullen’s drum riser periodically rotating, other band members worked the ramps and catwalks as if it were a rock ‘n’ roll playground: You looked away, looked back, and Bono and the Edge had popped up somewhere new.

A cylindrical drape of video screens took over the stage for the band’s performance of “Zooropa,” a nod back to U2’s big leap into these sorts of productions two decades ago.

Bono ably rose to the task on his first real vocal challenge of the night, leaning into the mic as he nailed the chorus on “Pride (In the Name of Love),” one of several vintage numbers that held up as potent stadium anthems.

He let the crowd sing the opening verse and chorus of “Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” -- that phenomenon where thousands singing just out of tune in their own ways manage to create a soaring, perfectly pitched melody.

With the Edge supplying the thick-chimed guitar, the band rolled out familiar hits: the swirling energy of “Vertigo,” the pomp and stomp of “Sunday Bloody Sunday,” the sizzle of “Elevation.”

Bono played to the crowd early on: “Go green, go white!” he shouted to a crowd loaded with MSU faithful.

“We never made it to university ourselves,” he’d say later. “U2 became our university. Rolling Stone became our textbooks.”

As always, Bono was chatty between songs, frequently rhapsodizing about the United States and at one point saluting Rolling Stone publisher Jann Wenner, who he said was on hand for the show. Having paid tribute to Michigan’s “magical landscape,” Bono said the Edge wants to buy a small cabin on Lake Michigan.

Unmentioned was the weekend’s big U2 news – a protest by demonstrators at Friday’s Glastonbury rock festival, who claim the band has skirted Irish taxation. But when Bono reminded Sunday’s Spartan Stadium audience that America “is a beautiful idea,” you were forgiven if your mind lit upon the country’s tax-revolt founding.

He went on to cite the 50th anniversary of the Peace Corps and applauded Americans’ good works.

Up in the press box, Detroit rocker Bob Seger popped in to say he found the show “breathtaking” and said he loves Bono’s voice.

“He’s kicking it tonight,” Seger said, who was here for this first U2 concert since 1987.

As the band wound through an encore that included “One” and “With or Without You,” Bono offered an emotional remembrance of the just-deceased Clarence Clemons, leading U2 into one of the night’s few newish songs: 2009’s gorgeous “Moment of Surrender.”

Contact Brian McCollum: 313-223-4450 or bmccollum@freepress.com

Maybe something to do with this.

I know, that's what I was alluding to. I am a fan, but they are really beginning to look like sell-outs, IMO. Promoting up coming rereleases by putting more of those songs in your set list, it doesn't set well with me. Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things.....

I know, that's what I was alluding to. I am a fan, but they are really beginning to look like sell-outs, IMO. Promoting up coming rereleases by putting more of those songs in your set list, it doesn't set well with me. Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things.....

From what I have read the current tour has continued longer than they expected so I would only think it's only natural that they would want to switch up the setlist. Performing more songs from Achtung Baby and Zooropa doesn't necessarily constitute "selling out" (whatever that means).

• 3 weeks later...

From RollingStone.com:

The Edge Denies Accusations of U2 Tax Evasion

Guitarist defends the band's business practices in letter to 'Baltimore Sun'

By MATTHEW PERPETUA

main.jpg

Bono and the Edge of U2

Samir Hussein/Getty Images

The Edge has shot down allegations that U2 have been engaging in tax evasion in a letter to the Baltimore Sun. The guitarist was responding to a letter to the paper by a federal employee named Simon Maroney published on July 7th which attacked frontman Bono's ONE campaign and accused the band of moving their business to a tax haven in Holland in order to avoid strict tax rates in their native Ireland.

According to the Edge, Maroney's "contains so many inaccuracies that it is pointless to correct them all." Nevertheless, the guitarist insisted that "U2 and the individual band members have a totally clean record with every jurisdiction to which they are required to pay tax and have never been and will never be involved in tax evasion."

The Edge defended U2's business in Holland by citing an interview with Owen Durgan of Ireland's Ministry of Finance in the March 2009 issue of Spin in which Durgan explained that he "wouldn't make an issue" out of it. "People complained at the time," Durgan said. "But we have companies moving here from the rest of the EU, so it all evens out."

• 4 months later...

One of best shows I've seen were U2 on their Unforgettable Fire tour. A great friend of mine was head of security at this gig and I was able to watch the whole show in the barrier between the front row and the stage right in front of Edge. These guys were tight and powerful.

I would have loved to have been able to be in the front row for their 360° tour but even from the cheap seats up in the stands at Carter-Finley it was more than evident that they're still just as lethal of a rock n' roll band as ever.

I've kind of lost touch with much of their newer stuff (not that its bad, I am just exploring a lot of other music lately) they have gone through a lot of different styles - some clicks with me more than others. Achtung Baby is my favorite u2 album and I'd put it in my top ten personal favorite rock albums of all time. The Edge is a guitar player who I'd consider possibly top 5 in rock history - innovative, distinctive and brilliant. He can say more with a few notes than most guitarists can say in a long drawn out solo. He kind of makes the shredders seem silly at times. Johnny Marr from The Smiths is another guitar player like this - nothing unnecessary or overly showy - just killer riffs.

(before anyone gets mad I still like Page a little better than both of those guitarists though). :P

Archived