THe Ramones

MOJO

when did you first hear the ramones

I'm pretty sure it was at my local record store back in the 70s. The song was Sheena Is A Punk Rocker. I'd heard of them prior to that via Creem and other music magazines but I'm almost certain that's the first time I ever heard their music. I also saw Rock n' Roll High School on a triple bill with Cheech & Chong's Next Movie and Ron Howard's Eat My Dust at the local drive-in way back when. All that said, I've never really been a fan of the Ramones or punk rock in general but I certainly appreciate their contributions to the rock n' roll landscape. I may not have realized it at the time but rock n' roll was in dire need of a swift kick to the nads in the mid to late 70s and punk rock provided it.

I don't remember exactly when I first heard them but it must have been around 77-78 that I actually knew that what I had been hearing was a band called the Ramones. To me hearing something and being aware of what you're hearing and acknowledging it are two different things. I had a friend who spent a summer in California, I can't remember if it was summer of 77 or 78. Anyway she came back with three things that we hadn't seen yet in the suburbs of CO, Vans (the shoes), Clash cassettes and tales of eating sushi. After she came back we started becoming aware of bands like The Ramones. But it didn't mean much to me at that age, it was much later that I figured out what the Ramones were about.

im not sure when I did... but I was exposed to Blitzkrieg Bob constantly in tv or in movies... liked the song... but never a huge fan...

not a huge fan of punk... i have the ramons, the clash and sex pistols on my iPod... (nevermind the bollocks, london calling and a greatest hits of the ramones)

my interest in punk is "proto-punk"... (i.e. the Stooges and my beloved MC5 B) )

Archived