Need some new Humbuckers

redeyedrichard

Thinking about giving my guitar a spruce...

Any suggestions for pickups. A friend suggested Seymour duncan Sh-8 invaders.

Thanks.

ReR

Watch'a got on there now? I found a guy on line that referb's pickup's (hand wound) to what ever spec you want, they sound good and it was a good deal to.

I'm currently using the factory pickups...Schecter Diamond Plus pickups. They sound great don't get me wrong, but they are just lacking the quality I really really want.

By the way, I want my guitar to sound like John Petrucci's ideally. Really into my Prog Metal at the moment. :lol: But I still want the versitility to do my classic rock stuff too, although I could use my Strat for that.

I'm currently using the factory pickups...Schecter Diamond Plus pickups. They sound great don't get me wrong, but they are just lacking the quality I really really want.

By the way, I want my guitar to sound like John Petrucci's ideally. Really into my Prog Metal at the moment. :lol: But I still want the versitility to do my classic rock stuff too, although I could use my Strat for that.

I'm not sure who this guy is but I do know a bit about Lifson, Summers and some other classic Progressive guy's. If the guy you want to sound like is more Metal sounding, the pick-up's are going to have to be over wound to the max! You ever tried/heard of "A Box of Metal" stomp box made by Z. Vex? From what I've been researching on it it has some heavy sound's on it and a gate to!

There's lot's of way's to get different sound's from one guitar, you could use a single coil on the neck and double at the bridge or some thing like that or other.

Yeah, he is the guy from Dream Theater. His guitar has a really full sound on both the heavier sections and mellow sections of his songs. Yet he still gets an amazing classic rock sound from his guitar on occasion. I've researched what he is using and I can't seem to find the exact models.

As far as stomp boxes are concerned I have quite a few good sounding boxes. I mainly use my BOSS ME-50 multi-effects pedal, Ev can vouch for the ME-50s versitility and ease of use. I think I might just go into a shop and demo a loada pickups.

Archived