Vocal help

Plant/Page

Hey guys, i was wondering if there was anyone here that knew a thing or two about singing? and like really singing, like Robert Plant, rock'n'roll style singing.

I have a horrible voice, but i wanna learn how to change and manipulate it well singing so that i can sing like robert plant.(obviously i don't expect to be that good :P)

i can't hit high notes without my voice cracking, and i dont know hot to screem like Percy, i was hoping some of you guys or girls here could give me a few pointers?

you gotta remember i know nothing about singing. Although, i do know quite a bit about music in general, ive been playing guitar for alotta years, and consider myself a pretty decent musician.

thanks,

Hey guys, i was wondering if there was anyone here that knew a thing or two about singing? and like really singing, like Robert Plant, rock'n'roll style singing.

I have a horrible voice, but i wanna learn how to change and manipulate it well singing so that i can sing like robert plant.(obviously i don't expect to be that good :P)

i can't hit high notes without my voice cracking, and i dont know hot to screem like Percy, i was hoping some of you guys or girls here could give me a few pointers?

you gotta remember i know nothing about singing. Although, i do know quite a bit about music in general, ive been playing guitar for alotta years, and consider myself a pretty decent musician.

thanks,

Robert has had at least two different singing voice's, the first is apparent on the early Led Zeppelin song's. The second is how he approaches singing on the "Dreamland" disc, "Pictures At Eleven" can be interpreted as a different singing style to if you really want to go into it.

The early stuff is echo's of the 1920's and 1930's "City Blue's" singing style, it's not a particular group or song but just a large group of musician's playing with a soloist singing out front. A lot of time's it was a young woman and a band with horn's, guitar's, Bass and percussion instrument's but that's not always the case. It could be different arrangement's, maybe a trumpet player that sing's the lead bit's when he's not playing solo's but, it was always a large group of musician's and a soloist to help brake up the long (sometimes) impromptu instrumental's. Check out "Babe I'm Gona Leave You" on the first album for that sound.

The "Dreamland" voice is hard to describe but, if you have some one stand beside you and softly sing in your ear ... That's about how I see it, like some of Elvis's stuff oh, say like, "Love me Tender".

"Pictures At Eleven" is a more up beat bright happy sounding voice, it's still Robert Plant singing the Blue's if you get down to it but, it's just not as a sad or depressing sounding voice like the others.

Then there is the deep core Blue's of the old 1920's and 1930's "Country Blue's" singing, this is just one or two guy's (or gal's) sing the Blue's like a howling dog! The intro to "Bring it on Home" on the Led Zeppelin II album, Babbbbaaa ... with the little harmonica bit's thrown in for effect is a great example of that singing style!

Hey thanks, that's actually very helpful.

But my voice is,, ehk. I'm only 15 so im hoping it will get better, you know, puberty and what not. I love singing, i just don't seem to have the voice for it :\

Hey thanks, that's actually very helpful.

But my voice is,, ehk. I'm only 15 so im hoping it will get better, you know, puberty and what not. I love singing, i just don't seem to have the voice for it :\

Well, I can't change your voice, only point you to the way. I had the same trouble when I was in my early teen's to, before I turned 13 I was a super high metso soprano singer! Then like you my voice started going to heck in a hand basket! By the time I was into my late teen's I had all my range back and a bit more tenor range than I had before, never in my life could I sing the low Bass part's.

Since I quit smoking two years ago I have gained back some of the higher range's that I lost from the pack of cigg's I was going through every day for 20+ year's.

So don't smoke! That is very important!

Alright, well i guess I'll just keep at it. Listening to Kashmir right now, i think ima practice that, it seems to be more in my vocal range, just as long as i can keep my voice from cracking.

Thanks alot for the help, it's much appreciated. And belive it or not, i actually found my old ''Pictures at Eleven'' Cashette tape, gonna listen through that tonight (:

Alright, well i guess I'll just keep at it. Listening to Kashmir right now, i think ima practice that, it seems to be more in my vocal range, just as long as i can keep my voice from cracking.

Thanks alot for the help, it's much appreciated. And belive it or not, i actually found my old ''Pictures at Eleven'' Cashette tape, gonna listen through that tonight (:

If you want to sing you have to take control of the air element.

I have some tips for you:

The most important thing is to strength your intercostals, you can do this with vocals practice (is more easy if you do some aerobic exercise also). This group of muscles governs your diafragm and gives you a better control of the quantity of air that comes trought your mouth, an a better control of your vibrato.

Centre your attention on this control because you have to use the smallest portion of air for do a single note (if you don't you can damage your vocals cords, particullary on the highest notes.)

Take care of your pulmonar capacity, many people smokes and sings very well without a problem but the better you breath the long you can sustain a single note.

If you want to breath deeply you have to inflate your stomach, not your chest...

(see chi kung exercises)

You have to let out the air trought your mouth and also trought your nose, when you do this correctly it feels like your voice is coming out trought your eyes. (between them really...)

I don't have certains but I think Robert Plant's register is contratenor, (similar to a female contralto)

This is the highest entonation a man can do without falsseto, and if you cannot do it you cannot learn it.

See a profesor at least once, you have to know your particullar registry,

you can have a beautifull bass voice. In this case you can sing Nick Cave songs very well. =)

• 5 months later...

Well, I love to sing. I am an alto. I do lots of online karaoke as well. What I do is I pick a song out and get familiar with it. Whether it be Led Zeppelin or not. Learn the words, the beat and when to speak. Of course you are your worst critic so according to yourself, it's not going to sound good. The most hardest thing to do is when you listen to yourself on playback. It took me awhile before I could even record anything! But I do suggest trying online karaoke (or local karaoke) it will get your voice going and you will know what to do. I sing best with Stevie Nicks b/c our voices are similar. But I can flat do "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane! I hope this helps you..

Practice makes perfect. That's the truth. The voice is a complex piece of machinery. You can really get a lot out of it if you try.

My advice would be to avoid reading any of the technical shit. It will only confuse you and make it seem like you aren't doing it right.

You just have to try and sing along to your favorite songs. Sing hard and and really try to reach where you want to go. Eventually, you will see your voice opening up. it will become more flexible, kind of elastic. Work your upper range obviously. Sing high songs, and your voice will get high. But don't neglect the other parts of your voice either.

Also, work on your own style, and make your own voice. You can have your influences, but don't do it to the point where you sound like a bad copy. Somewhere along the line a voice will emerge that you can call your own.

I started off with no voice. No power, range, cracking etc. Now I can sing most of the Zeppelin stuff and a lot of other really difficult vocal parts.

Archived