The Beatles "Remastered"

Does digital remastering do justice to the Beatles?

Do the Beatles remasters capture the authentic Fab Four sound or are they a digital cash-in on the iconic group? Michael Dwyer gets back to mono.

abbeyroad_narrowweb__300x4500.jpg

The engineers who remastered The Beatles catalogue:

Guy Massey, Simon Gibson, Sean Magee, Sam Okell,

Steve Rooke, Paul Hicks and (top right) Allan Rouse.

Photo: Richard Skidmore

Michael Dwyer

Sydney Morning Herald

September 3, 2009

THE world's most famous zebra crossing still leads to the same place. Towering behind the graffiti of a white wall in London, the familiar facade of Abbey Road Studios seems untouched by time.

Inside, though, everything has changed. Studio 2, where the Beatles mostly recorded between 1962 and 1970, is all that remains among the rolling renovations necessary for a world-class recording facility.

But each day, engineer Allan Rouse negotiates a past that clings to the corridors of the building he's known since 1972.

"There's simply nowhere else to put it," he says of the archaic machinery shunted into corners and stairwells. "We are state-of-the-art but we have a history. And we have the equipment to go with it."

This juxtaposition of vintage authenticity and cutting-edge production lies at the heart of Rouse's latest project.

Since 2006, he has co-ordinated six engineers in the epic task of digitally remastering all 13 Beatles albums, plus the Past Masters collection of non-album tracks.

"It's long overdue," he says. "Many bands have been remastered two or three times since the advent of CD and the Beatles never have."

Indeed, audiophiles winced when the Beatles' albums were transferred "flat" to CD in 1987. "Thin and bright, without a hint of the LPs' analog warmth," American fan Steve Guttenberg recently sniffed in his Audiophiliac blog.

But come on. For most of us, surely the songs remain the same, regardless of whatever black art is applied by men in white coats. Isn't the Beatles' remasters launch of 09/09/09 just another way of getting us to buy our old records again in new sleeves?

Rouse bristles. "Any time anything comes out Beatle-wise, people say it's just a matter of getting money out of people," he sighs. "I object to that strongly. I don't think Neil Aspinall has done that at all. In fact, I think he's been very cautious."

Aspinall was the school friend of Paul McCartney and George Harrison who ran the Beatles' record company, Apple Corps, a post he held until just before his death last year.

It's fair to assume he shared the music industry's practical ignorance of the digital process in 1987. Remastering for CD (see below) was an aficionado's concept that had little bearing on the wider market — like the esoteric notion of stereo back when the Beatles made records for a mostly mono world.

Today, ubiquitous digital stereo gives everyone's ears an edge. The Beatles rose to that standard with a lavish range of "new" releases in the past 15 years, beginning with the archival Live at the BBC and Anthology sets.

Rouse oversaw the 5.1 surround mix of the Yellow Submarine Songtrack, then Let It Be . . . Naked, the controversial reshuffle of the Beatles' final album. He admits his purist's streak was tested by the Love album for Cirque du Soleil.

It found original producer George Martin splicing master tapes into an 80-minute symphony that remixed songs, takes and eras to create a 2006 blockbuster. The remasters, Rouse stresses, are the antithesis to all of that. "These are not radical alternative listening experiences," he says. "These are the real thing.

"Love changed the face of the Beatles. But the originals should always be out there.

"What we've done now is to make them available, so the kids of the future can hear them sounding as they should — in fact, in my view, sounding better than they ever did."

Early test audiences have been inclined to agree, although the notion of betterment suggests a fine line between restoration and vandalism.

Has A Day in the Life been improved, for example, by removing the squeak of the piano stool that punctuates the ultimate chord of doom? Heaven forbid, Rouse says.

"We agreed at the onset we would only remove things that were technically related. If it had anything to do with the Beatles' performance — breaths, coughs, squeaky bass drums, squeaky chairs — they stayed."

And still, authenticity remains a relative concept. Apple's insistence on releasing a separate set of the original mono mixes of each album (except Abbey Road and Let It Be, which only ever existed in stereo), opens a Pandora's box.

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and The Beatles, popularly known as the White Album, have glaringly different mono mixes. Although the world has come to love them in stereo, Rouse is clear on which versions the Beatles considered more valid at the time.

"The Beatles spent upwards of two or three weeks mixing Sgt Pepper in mono. The stereo was done as an afterthought by George (Martin) and (engineer) Geoff Emerick — regrettably forgetting some of the things they had done on the mono mixes," Rouse says.

Nonetheless, the stereo remasters will doubtless outsell the mono box innumerable times over. And whatever hairs Beatlemaniac audiophiles choose to split, Rouse has a message for them. "The Beatles are not just for you. They are for history."

What is digital remastering?

"MASTERING for vinyl was a process dictated by physical space. Louder signals took up more room on the LP. Softer passages allowed a longer playing time, making dynamics integral to the recording art. Digital has brought a fixed-maximum record level.

Engineers can no longer make peaks louder but they can raise levels between the peaks for greater impact. Oasis' (What's the Story) Morning Glory took this art to the extreme in 1995, setting a new standard in the 'Loudness Wars'. But while a soft CD might have less initial impact, mastering quieter is the only way original dynamics can be preserved.

With such loved material as the Beatles' catalogue, it will be interesting to see how true to the original cuts the engineers have dared to be."

- Joe Leach, Cowshed Studios, London

I like this part:

Rouse bristles. "Any time anything comes out Beatle-wise, people say it's just a matter of getting money out of people," he sighs. "I object to that strongly. I don't think Neil Aspinall has done that at all. In fact, I think he's been very cautious."

And this part:

"What we've done now is to make them available, so the kids of the future can hear them sounding as they should — in fact, in my view, sounding better than they ever did."

At well over $200.00 for the limited edition mono set, it's not so much "making it available" as it is "getting money out of people".

On September 9, 2009, digitally remastered versions of all of the Beatles studio albums will be released. Each album will feature the track listings and artwork as it was originally released in the U.K. and come with expanded booklets including original and newly written liner notes and rare photos. For a limited time, each of the Fab Fours 12 proper albums will be embedded with a brief documentary about its making. The re-releases will include the Beatles 12 studio albums and Magical Mystery Tour as well as Past Masters Vol. I and II, which will be packaged as one collection. All 14 discs will be available with DVDs of the documentaries in a stereo box set, and a set titled The Beatles in Mono featuring 10 discs will also be released.

The Beatles "Remastered" 2009 Promo Video

How's it going "The Pagemeister?" I hope all is well with you. I just received an e-mail from Amazon that both my BEATLES Remasters Stereo and Mono Boxsets have shipped out and are on the way to my house as we speak. I can't wait to get them both and hear them. I promise that I will give you my review of them on this thread once I have received and heard them thoroughly. In the mean time, take care and ROCK ON!

How's it going "The Pagemeister?" I hope all is well with you. I just received an e-mail from Amazon that both my BEATLES Remasters Stereo and Mono Boxsets have shipped out and are on the way to my house as we speak. I can't wait to get them both and hear them. I promise that I will give you my review of them on this thread once I have received and heard them thoroughly. In the mean time, take care and ROCK ON!

We are waiting on pins and needles.

Mono Or Stereo: Help!

by Bob Boilen

If you're planning to buy some or all of the remastered Beatles recordings due out on 9.9.09, you may be wondering whether to get the mono versions or stereo. While most will probably go for the stereo sets, the truth is that The Beatles and producer George Martin put the most care into the mono recordings. The mono versions were the mixes they always intended people to hear.

Let me explain.

From 1963 to '67, most people listened to record players with one speaker. The same was true with radio. FM stereo just wasn't available.

The truth is, the mono mixes sound great remastered. It's been a thrill to hear these again. The bass is warm, the cymbals clear, the harmonies wonderful. Purists will go for the mono recordings, and I'm a purist. But I actually recommend getting the stereo sets.

Read On

On September 9, 2009, digitally remastered versions of all of the Beatles studio albums will be released. Each album will feature the track listings and artwork as it was originally released in the U.K. and come with expanded booklets including original and newly written liner notes and rare photos. For a limited time, each of the Fab Fours 12 proper albums will be embedded with a brief documentary about its making. The re-releases will include the Beatles 12 studio albums and Magical Mystery Tour as well as Past Masters Vol. I and II, which will be packaged as one collection. All 14 discs will be available with DVDs of the documentaries in a stereo box set, and a set titled The Beatles in Mono featuring 10 discs will also be released.

How's it going "The Pagemeister?" I hope all is well with you. I guess that I will be online till my girlfriend gets here. In the mean time, all I have to say is TODAY'S THE DAY! THE BEATLES INVASION of America has arrived! Have a great rest of the early morning hours and ROCK ON fellow ZEPPELIN and BEATLES fanatics!

I like this part:

And this part:

At well over $200.00 for the limited edition mono set, it's not so much "making it available" as it is "getting money out of people".

Obviously Paul and Yoko are short of a quid! rolleyes.gif

If it's not about the money why is it so expensive?

Sorry but I won't be buying this.

I did enter a competition to win the whole package, though.

Obviously Paul and Yoko are short of a quid! rolleyes.gif

If it's not about the money why is it so expensive?

Sorry but I won't be buying this.

I did enter a competition to win the whole package, though.

How's it going "Reggie29?" I hope all is well with you. You have to admit, it is ridiculous that they are releasing both Mono and Stereo versions on two separate Boxsets. Capitol Records (EMI Records) could have put both the Stereo and Mono versions on the same disc. But being a die hard hard core BEATLES fanatic, I have purchased both and will be receiving them by the weekend (I hope!). Ha Ha! As for you entering a competition to win the whole package, I will keep my fingers crossed in hopes that you win. In the mean time, take care, good luck and ROCK ON!

Edited by ZeppFanForever

How's it going "Reggie29?" I hope all is well with you. You have to admit, it is ridiculous that they are releasing both Mono and Stereo versions on two separate Boxsets. Capitol Records (EMI Records) could have put both the Stereo and Mono versions on the same disc. But being a die hard hard core BEATLES fanatic, I have purchased both and will be receiving them by the weekend (I hope!). Ha Ha! As for you entering a competition to win the whole package, I will keep my fingers crossed in hopes that you win. In the mean time, take care, good luck and ROCK ON!

Thanks big fella!

I reckon ZFF'll be ROCKIN' ON come the weekend!

Enjoy.

PLAY IT LOUD, OKAY!

Beatles in the studio documentary just started on TV!

I picked up ABBEY ROAD this morning at TARGET for $11.98.

Target had all of their Re-Mastered Beatles CD on a side-display adjacent to an end-piece display (which was not The Beatles). The sign above The Beatles display did not apply to it. It said something about iTunes.

As I said, the Sale price at Target is $11.98 (But if you buy --2-- Beatles Remastered Titles you receive a Target $5 Gift Card. So the price per CD after using the Gift Card (at a later date) is - $9.50 for each Beatle CD !)

Best Buy -- $12.99

Wal-Mart -- $13.88

Fry's -- $14.98

Fry's had all of the Re-Mastered Beatles CDs in a stand alone display located adjacent to their Beatles Rock Band game set-up.

Sam's Club -- ? ?

In both Target and Fry's, in the "regular" CD section for the Beatles, only the pre Re-Mastered Beatle CDs are there for now.

Edited by The Rover

The Beatles are fab for business

By Randy Lewis

26967167.jpg

When Beatlemania was first at its height, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr often said they had no idea whether their popularity would last for another six months or even as much as a year or two.

"It's not worth missin' your sleep for, is it?" Harrison said in 1963. Added McCartney: "We just hope we're gonna have quite a run."

This week, almost 40 years after the band split up, Beatles titles dominate the latest rankings of the nation's bestselling albums, signaling a new, if less hysteria-driven, wave of popularity for the Fab Four. The spike in popularity owes, of course, to the release last week of sonically upgraded CDs of all of the group's studio recordings and the arrival of .

The new and improved Beatles CDs sold 235,000 copies during their first two days in stores, and total first-week sales of the individual CDs and two box sets of the group's recordings were projected to be 500,000 to 600,000 copies, possibly higher.

That's welcome news for a beleaguered music industry, whose last significant uptick in sales came in the wake of Michael Jackson's death in June.

Beatles titles occupy nine spots in the Top 10 of Billboard's Pop Catalog Albums chart, which encompasses albums originally released more than 18 months ago (Jackson's "Number Ones," at No. 6, kept the Fab Four from a clean sweep of the Top 10); of the Top 20, 15 are Beatles albums.

When the tally of current albums is announced today, Jay-Z's "The Blueprint 3" and Miley Cyrus' "The Time of Our Lives" are expected to hold the No. 1 and 2 slots on Billboard's Top 200, with Beatles CDs taking four or five spots on the Top Comprehensive Albums rankings that combine current and catalog releases.

Many experts attribute the group's extraordinary longevity to one thing: the music.

"I would say first and foremost you have to credit the two main guys as songwriters," said "American Idol" judge Simon Cowell, one of today's leading arbiters of what flies and what doesn't in pop music. "That's really where it all stands up. This music has crossed every single generation, and doesn't sound like somebody that was locked in a certain decade. It still feels relevant."

"American Idol" has saluted the Beatles in past seasons, challenging contestants' interpretive abilities with songs that also have become fodder for serious academic exploration.

"Both John and Paul, and George for that matter, were extraordinary students of songwriting," said Chris Sampson, director of USC Thornton School of Music's new baccalaureate degree program in popular music. "You can tell in their writing they understood song form and songwriting craft from the Tin Pan Alley days, as well as early rock 'n' roll. They created music that drew from these traditions, but was capable of transcending them."

Few pop entertainers have maintained vibrant careers for much more than a decade. Yet the Beatles are expected to generate tens, perhaps hundreds, of millions of dollars in revenue from the CD reissues and the video game.

Their record in business matters has been far from perfect: When the group created Apple Corps in 1967 as a combination record label, film production company and merchandising operation, its retail store in London went out of business within a year, at a substantial financial loss.

Despite writing many of the most enduring songs of the 20th century, Lennon and McCartney discovered too late that publishing rights to most of the music they'd created had been sold out from under them. They were sold again in the 1980s to Jackson, whose estate still holds half interest in Sony/ATV Music Publishing. Annually, Beatles songs generate millions of dollars in publishing royalties.

There've been other missed opportunities: There was no 40th anniversary commemoration of the landmark "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" album, and many believe the remastered CDs should have come out well before the format became an endangered species.

"I would have digitized the catalog years ago," said Jack Oliver, Apple Records president from 1969-71. "They could have made a billion bucks by now, couldn't they?"

Still, enough smart decisions were made by and for the Beatles that the four working-class lads from Liverpool became, and remain nearly half a century later, one of the most respected and profitable entities in entertainment history.

Savvy strategizing is evident from the group's beginnings. Early on, their manager Brian Epstein demanded a provision in their record contract requiring renegotiation of the terms whenever a new form of music playback technology emerged. Epstein also insisted that EMI Records, parent company of the label that first signed the Beatles, never sell their recordings at discount. Epstein had run a record shop before signing on as the Beatles' manager, and "he hated budget records," said Tony Bramwell, a key Beatles' associate for the length of their career. "He only stocked proper full-price releases, so that his customers would get their money's worth."

Consequently, "No Beatles release was ever sold at mid-price," noted Martin Lewis, who worked on publicity and marketing campaigns for the "Live at the BBC" and "Anthology" projects and the 2002 DVD reissue of "A Hard Day's Night." "He held out on that one thing, and he's proven to have been right. When Beatles material has been reissued, it has never seemed like it was cheap product."

The Beatles' entry into the digital world came relatively late, in 1987-88, but the release of the back catalog on CD effectively introduced the band to a younger generation of music consumers and resulted in a flurry of sales similar to what's happening with the remastering program. Since that time, various reissues have kept the band's legacy alive and commercially vibrant among longtime fans and new listeners.

Three double-CD "Anthology" sets returned the Beatles to the No. 1 position on Billboard's Top 200 Albums chart in 1995 and 1996. "After 'Anthology 1' came out," Lewis said, "they did a quick survey of the people who had purchased it, and much to the label's astonishment, something like 40% had gone to people under 40. They expected 10% to 15% tops."

Many younger fans have been introduced to the Beatles by their parents, or even their grandparents, but others discovered for themselves what Lewis calls the "exuberant optimism" in their music.

"In a world where most of the entertainment -- movies, TV shows, music -- is pretty soulless and created for the sole purpose of making a buck," Lewis said, "the Beatles offer something joyous, something exuberant and, at its heart, noble, and kids are savvy enough to sense that and say 'This is real.' "

In 2000, a new Beatles hits collection, "1," became one of the biggest sellers of the year and has since sold 11.5 million copies in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan.

"They've shown tremendous business insight," said USC's Sampson. "Whether they labeled it as such, they knew that they could build a brand, and sustain it. They've been nurturing this brand extremely effectively for 40 years now."

The Beatles-based Cirque du Soleil show "Love" in Las Vegas, for instance, has drawn just under 3 million people since it opened in 2006, putting the quartet's life story, images and songs before significant numbers of people who weren't previously committed fans.

Likewise, licensing their music for the Beatles: Rock Band puts the band in step with the latest in entertainment technology and its predominantly young audience, while also giving older Beatles fans motivation to try their hands at video gaming.

"Over the last several weeks we've had the demo for Rock Band available in over 800 Best Buy locations," spokeswoman Erin Bix said, "and parents and their children are experiencing the game together. Rock Band is introducing the Beatles to a new generation of fans."

"They were very smart to combine the Rock Band with the CDs," said Chris Carter, host of the long-running radio show “Breakfast With the Beatles” that airs Sunday mornings on KLOS-FM (95.5), along with another version now on Sirius XM satellite radio. "You're hitting both generations and blending them together."

Bruce Spizer, author of several highly regarded Beatles chronologies, said, "If you look back at the Beatles' career, there's always a great synergy between Beatles and whatever was happening in the culture.

"The Beatles didn't invent drug culture," Spizer said. "The Beatles didn't invent the peace movement, but the Beatles gained things from that and then put back things into it. Here again, the Beatles aren't going to save the gaming industry, but they are giving it a nice shot in the arm. The record industry too: Once again, they're doing a lot to help keep it alive."

Well, I got mine. The mono sounds gear! The stereo sounds fab! Seriously, though, this is fantastic. A treasure chest. Still going through it, but so far everything sounds great. My only complaint is my typical beef regarding CDs nowadays: Can these fonts get any smaller? Let's put fifteen paragraphs of text on this tiny little page here...Do they NOT KNOW some of us are, y'know, OLD? :'(

How's it going "The Pagemeister?" I hope all is well with you. As promised, I will be posting my review of THE BEATLES REMASTERS Boxsets here on your thread soon but as you can see, I am in a rush at the moment. I am looking forward to stating my views and opinions on this very controversial and sensitive subject. In the mean time, have a great weekend, take care and ROCK ON!

How's it going "The Pagemeister?" I hope all is well with you. Thank you for the info on both the Stereo and mono Boxsets that are going to be released on 9 September 2009. I will be buying both of these boxsets and am dying to hear what they both sound like. I will also have the rare opportunity in conducting my own personal experiment by listening to several BEATLES collections where I can judge for myself which one sounds better. The Collections that I am going to listen to and compare are as follows:

THE BEATLES REMASTERS (Stereo Boxset)

THE BEATLES REMASTERS (Mono Boxset)

THE BEATLES MILLENIUM REMASTERS COLLECTION (Upgraded bootleg MFSL Audiophile Archival Recordings using the 24 Bit Mastering and transferred onto Compact Disc.

THE BEATLES BLUE BOX REMASTERS COLLECTION (Upgraded bootleg remixed from THE BEATLES original MFSL master tapes by Dr. Ebbetts and transferred new mixes onto CD.

THE BEATLES MFSL BOOTLEG CD COLLECTION (While in a highly advanced recording studio, using all perfectly brand new BEATLES MFSL Vinyl/LP albums and a highly advanced top of the line turntable, someone recorded all of THE BEATLES MFSL Vinyl/LP albums onto new master tapes in order to release the MFSL albums in a bootleg genuine original CD format. NOTE: When I heard this collection, my jaws dropped! You could not even tell that the source was Vinyl/Lp's. There were no pop sounds, scratches, skips or static of any kind to be heard anywhere on the recordings.

THE BEATLES MFSL/DR. EBBETTS UPGRADED BOOTLEG CD COLLECTION (This is the most recent Dr. Ebbetts upgrade to date using today's Digitally Remastered advanced technology. This collection was released in Japan and in my opinion, it is by far, without a doubt, THE GREATEST SOUNDING BEATLES CD COLLECTION TO DATE! This collection will push your stereo system beyond its limits unimaginable into unchartered territory. This collection truly brings THE BEATLES back to life and gives THE BEATLES rejuvinated tweaked sound a new refreshed life that will floor you with amazement.

From what I've read from music critics on the internet, while some of their opinions may differ on this subject, some critics truly believe that the new Stereo and Mono Remasters Boxsets will not even come close soundwise to the four bootleg MFSL CD collections that I mentioned above. However, I am looking forward to hearing and comparing all of the above BEATLES CD collections for myself where I can judge for myself, which BEATLES collection is the most superior one. I've been waiting many years for this special moment to happen and at last, the wait is over on 9 September 2009. In the mean time, ROCK ON!

How's it going "The Pagemeister?" I hope all is well with you. I have to make this quick since I am going to take my girlfriend and some of her friends, by limosine, to a strip club. I must be the luckiest son-of-a-bitch on earth since I will be escorting 6 of the most beautiful women that you have ever seen in your life. Ok, enough of that!

To begin this review, first let me say that THE BEATLES are my most favorite band in the whole wide world with the mighty LED ZEPPELIN coming in a very close second. I am a die hard hard core BEATLES fanatic! I have tried in writing this review here on the Forum many times before but could never finish it. why? Because THE BEATLES are the greatest band that ever lived and they truly deserve the very best treatment available by Capitol Records/EMI Records when it comes to sound quality. Did THE BEATLES get the very best treatment (Sound quality) from Capitol Records/EMI Records when THE BEATLES REMASTERS Boxsets were released on 9 September 2009? The answer is no! I was totally disappointed with the outcome as well as the results. The sound quality could have been done better. I have been on Amazon talking with fellow members about the very same thing that I am talking about now with all of you. Please forgive me for sounding so negative, my intent is not to offend anyone especially the BEATLES fanatics here on the forum. THE BEATLES deserved better and they should have received it. Capitol Records/EMI Records should be ashamed of themselves. All Capitol Records/EMI Records were thinking about was dollar signs and to hell with the sound quality.

In my opinion, the two greatest BEATLES CD collections are hailing from the underground of bootlegs and are as follows:

THE BEATLES DR. EBBETTS/MFSL (UK STEREO) BLUE BOX REMASTERS CD COLLECTION (The all-time greatest EVER!)

THE BEATLES MILLENIUM REMASTERS CD COLLECTION (24 BIT MASTERING, MFSL/AUDIOPHILE ARCHIVAL RECORDINGS)

Believe me fellow ZEPPELIN and BEATLES fanatics, it breaks my heart in having to say all of this to you. ROCK ON!