Pb Zeppelin borrowed their best songs?

harp0

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:3cfoxqw0ldfe

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:3cfqxz90ldte

What Page did to Willie Dixon was inexcusable, sorry but it was. Zeppelin came a long long way from the first two albums...........but they should have credited the people whose songs they 'remade'.

Just my humble opinion....flame away.

Regards;

I'd be really supprized if Dixon hadnt done then same thing to other blues/RnB performers, its been part of the blues aslong as its existed. From what I understand the main reason Dixon got involved was that his record company had gone after compensation and paid none of it to him.

The two I think were a bit naughty are Black Mountain Side which is almost identical to Bert Jansch's arrangement of Black Waterside and Dazed which while it contains much original work in the middle is clearly Jake Holmes song. While Page was reasonabley well off when Zep formed he was hardly flithy rich so I think its a little more excuseble.

I think a big factor in the "blues thief" label is white america trying to claim the blues as a cultural heritage(I spose they were the people who caused alot of the "blues" ;)) so disliking brits having massive sucess with it.

I'd be really supprized if Dixon hadnt done then same thing to other blues/RnB performers, its been part of the blues aslong as its existed. From what I understand the main reason Dixon got involved was that his record company had gone after compensation and paid none of it to him.

The two I think were a bit naughty are Black Mountain Side which is almost identical to Bert Jansch's arrangement of Black Waterside and Dazed which while it contains much original work in the middle is clearly Jake Holmes song. While Page was reasonabley well off when Zep formed he was hardly flithy rich so I think its a little more excuseble.

I think a big factor in the "blues thief" label is white america trying to claim the blues as a cultural heritage(I spose they were the people who caused alot of the "blues" ;)) so disliking brits having massive sucess with it.

Wow! That is quite a claim. In America there is a big push in the direction of reparations to the surviving family members of former slaves, and this idea is even more possible now with the election of Obama. There is a shame factor attached to how we treated blacks not just while they were slaves but also during segregation.

For the most part when a white American artist does a blues song they do so with a great amount of respect. Music without emotion is dull. Blues music by definition is created with nothing but emotion. White Americans do not claim the blues as their cultural heritage, black Americans do and should, even blacks in other countries hold onto blues as there own, places such as France are big fans of blues and most of the music is preformed by black artists.

Over the years there has been lots of great blues based music coming out of both countries. Led Zeppelin took this to another level integrating rock and roll with blues in a way that increased the emotion from the original song. Few bands have been able to do this in the way Led Zeppelin did, in a seemingly effortless way.

I would be shocked to find even one white American person who holds even a small amount of animosity toward the Brits for their success with blues based music. It would be crazy, in that it's not the white peoples music to begin with.

I think it's more a matter of being influenced. If a song was stolen, it would have to be exactly the same, once you change a few things, it's a different song. You should be able to take some lines from here and there, not so recongizable, that doesnt make a thief. Putting a line or two in your own song would show that it has some meaning to you. I'd feel honored if someone took a line from me, but a whole song, and stole it all..Even if all the words are the same, the instrumental parts parts could be different, and new. Taking an old song and changing it a bit, could make it reborn in a new light. Just as long as you pay credit to the original author it's fine with me, or just acknowledging that it's not your own.. For example When the Levee Breaks, Memphis Minnie and Joe McCoy got no credit, but Zeppelin's version is completely different while using the same words, i feel it's a different song. When a song as old as that is covered usually there won't be any credit issues. Usually i find old blues songs( well any old song) never get credit, because not many know the true original author.. :/ And even so not paying credit doesnt mean you stole the song, you can't own a song in the first place, can you? We all have words, and phrases, you cant own them..

A lot of the Blues guy's back in the day (1920's & 1930's) where not to educated and lived a life of poverty. Roaming from town to town to play for a dime, a drink, a meal and a bed for the night.

With this in mind they had no idea about things like, copy write or publishing. To go a bit farther, I'd say that they most likely didn't even have any use of this kind of thing. As their music was handed across the table and passed back and forth to one another, they would take something they heard and give it there own finger print.

There wasn't any real "Big" money being made in the back country "Juke Joint's" and "Barrel Houses". The big money didn't start coming in until it hit classy theater's in the big city's, and it was a bit different kind of Blues in those club's. B)

Archived