Sandy Denny & The Battle of Evermore

harp0

The first time I ever heard, The Battle of Evermore, it instantly became my favorite Zeppelin song, maybe my favorite song period. This is at least 50% due to Sandy Denny's great vocals that work so well against Robert Plants singing. Years later I got the Sandy Denny box set, and I really enjoyed it, one epic song in particular, included in that box set is, Tam Lin, and if you haven't heard it, you are missing out on something special. If you don't want the box set I recommend, Fairport Convention's Liege & Lief, another great album.

A couple things to note is how different the style of music was to what Zeppelin were doing, it's amazing they had her do a guest vocal in the first place, but it was a great move. I wish they had used her in other songs that they could have written to include her.

Led Zeppelin performed The Battle of Evermore, at least a couple times in concert (maybe more not sure, I don't do bootlegs), and I have heard at least one performance of the song and it was very disappointing. In a way Denny ruined the ability for Zeppelin to play that song live in concert, because she was so great and without her the song was missing a vitally important component.

Just curious if your familiar with the late Denny's work outside Led Zeppelin and if you like it. Also you might list a favorite song or two by her.

The first time I ever heard, The Battle of Evermore, it instantly became my favorite Zeppelin song, maybe my favorite song period. This is at least 50% due to Sandy Denny's great vocals that work so well against Robert Plants singing. Years later I got the Sandy Denny box set, and I really enjoyed it, one epic song in particular, included in that box set is, Tam Lin, and if you haven't heard it, you are missing out on something special. If you don't want the box set I recommend, Fairport Convention's Liege & Lief, another great album.

A couple things to note is how different the style of music was to what Zeppelin were doing, it's amazing they had her do a guest vocal in the first place, but it was a great move. I wish they had used her in other songs that they could have written to include her.

Led Zeppelin performed The Battle of Evermore, at least a couple times in concert (maybe more not sure, I don't do bootlegs), and I have heard at least one performance of the song and it was very disappointing. In a way Denny ruined the ability for Zeppelin to play that song live in concert, because she was so great and without her the song was missing a vitally important component.

Just curious if your familiar with the late Denny's work outside Led Zeppelin and if you like it. Also you might list a favorite song or two by her.

Hi 'harp0'

My Younger Brother had a much Greater Range of Musical Taste than i ever did, he still does, a favourite of his was Fairport Convention, i loved Sandy's Voice, Magical, here's "Tam Lin" in Memory of her Beauty and Great Singing Ability, a Truely Lovely Lady Sadly Missed.

Kind Regards, Danny

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=guFZkLxYM60

Sandy was without question one of the greatest female singers EVER

Checkout Fairports 'Who knows where the time goes'

Beautiful beyond words.

Wouldnt it have been nice if she could have sang on stage with Zep just once

Poor JPJ!! An impossible act to follow.

Ive always thought it would have worked better live if the 3 of them sang Sandys part

Archived