U2 live at Giants Stadium in NJ on 9/24/09

Wolfman

Incredible show tonight at Giants' Stadium as I saw, for the first time, U2 on their 360 Tour. Amazing is the best way to describe this band. Bono and the Edge have so much energy and they bring it out of the crowd. People really go nuts for this band and I can see why. Nice setlist too. The only song I wish they played was "Bullet In A Blue Sky." The stage is pretty wild. It's a giant circle with tons of little screens and big screens that flip around. I really had a blast. BTW, The Muse opened up but I came in right when they were ending.Also, the Edge played many guitars including a Gibson SG. :D I'm so tired but at the same time I'm wired from the excitement of this concert. Wow. Here's the setlist:

09/24/2009 Giants Stadium - East Rutherford, New Jersey, USA

Breathe, Get On Your Boots, Mysterious Ways, Beautiful Day / She's A Rainbow (snippet) / Blackbird (snippet), No Line On The Horizon, Magnificent, Elevation, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Stand By Me (snippet), Unknown Caller, Until The End Of The World, Stay (Faraway, So Close!), The Unforgettable Fire, Mofo (snippet) / , City Of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, Sunday Bloody Sunday / Rock The Casbah (snippet), MLK, Walk On / You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet), One / Amazing Grace (snippet), Where The Streets Have No Name

encores: Ultra Violet (Light My Way), With Or Without You, Moment of Surrender

Edited by Wolfman

Oh yeah...important fact I left out. Bono told us that this was the biggest crowd ever in Giants Stadium. It was hard to hear the next part because the crowd went nuts after he said that, but it sounded like he then said it was one of the biggest concert crowds in NJ history. The next part was great....short pause..."Sorry Bruce (in a kinda of sarcastic way)." Too damn funny. I know Bono (who sounds great live) is buddies with Bruce , but I loved the little dig at "the Boss". Good times!

Oh yeah...important fact I left out. Bono told us that this was the biggest crowd ever in Giants Stadium. It was hard to hear the next part because the crowd went nuts after he said that, but it sounded like he then said it was one of the biggest concert crowds in NJ history. The next part was great....short pause..."Sorry Bruce (in a kinda of sarcastic way)." Too damn funny. I know Bono (who sounds great live) is buddies with Bruce , but I loved the little dig at "the Boss". Good times!

Hello Wolfman, my friends must to have called me 6/7 times last night during the event so they could share it with me. I am sure I will emailed pictures of the event today at some point! Thanks for sharing the event with us:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Wolfman, what time did U2 hit the stage? We are going Friday night in Tampa and don't want to miss a second of the show. Thanks.

:peace:

My friends who went said they were on the stage at 9PM. Here is a picture

U2NYSept09.jpg

Edited by Deborah J

I missed them when they played here way back in '83 on the tour for War when they opened for The Producers, Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five and Todd Rundgren at Kenan Stadium in Chapel Hill. Believe it or not, that's the last time they played this part of the state. I enjoyed Saturday night's concert very much but like a friend suggested, I could have stood some more early songs and them turning off all the multimedia stuff for a few songs so we could hear them rock out like in the days of old. Still, it was a total sensory immersion that I thoroughly enjoyed.

For those interested, you can find lots of photos, interviews, etc. from the Kenan Stadium show at this link.

Edited by Jahfin

VERY COOL!! Thanks Deborah for the info and glad you enjoyed the show Jahfin. Can't wait for Friday! B)

You are welcome. You will have to let us know how much fun you had:-) A few of my friends are also attending this Friday's concert and if I didn't have so much travel coming up I would have joined them! They will call me and hold the cell phones up for me to hear it numerous times...I have great friends:-)

Have a BLAST!!!!!

Sorry, but I need to chime in here. Bobo comes across so holier than thou and yet he pollutes the environment with that hideous stage prop. What happens after the tour? That relic gets sent to the dump. How corporate and corny. I read a review of the show here and he spent 15 minutes rattling off names of politicians in the audience. No thanks.

Sorry, but I need to chime in here. Bobo comes across so holier than thou and yet he pollutes the environment with that hideous stage prop. What happens after the tour? That relic gets sent to the dump. How corporate and corny.

There's three Claws at use on this tour. Once it's over U2 will leave them in different parts of the world as permanent concert venues. I don't see this tour as being any different than those mounted by other artists that play stadium-sized venues. U2 are quite conscious of the environmental impact and have addressed it.

The band has faced criticism for the tour’s massive carbon footprint. Berry, however, pointed out that any major rock concert has carbon emissions, 80 percent of which comes from the audience. He suggested that tonight’s concertgoers try to carpool, drive a hybrid vehicle and remember to turn out the lights before they leave home. Evans said the band is cognizant of the carbon footprint concerns and will take steps to rectify the environmental impact. “A number of carbon offsets will be purchased with the ultimate goal of being carbon neutral,” he said.

I knew going in that it would be a huge spectacle. That's generally how shows of this size work. Having seen several over the years (Van Halen, Page & Plant, the Rolling Stones, the Who, the Grateful Dead, etc.) I have no qualms saying this was the best one presentation-wise that I've ever seen. If anyone attends a U2 concert and are surprised by Bono's political rhetoric, it goes without saying they must not be very familiar with U2.

Tampa's show last Friday was good. Very warm temperatures made the evening not as enjoyable as it could have been for an outside concert during the month of October. The set list was very similar to the other lists I have seen. The band sounded great, Bono played the part. I have seen them 4 times total from 87-now, so no new surprises.

:peace: