The Yardbirds Over Under Sideways Down

Here's another pre Zeppelin video of Jimmy performing Over Under Sideways Down. I don't know the date of the video. I have always liked the sound he made with his guitar on this track, a sign of things to come from Jimmy with Led Zeppelin. Well, enjoy this early video, in good old black and white.......

Here's another pre Zeppelin video of Jimmy performing Over Under Sideways Down. I don't know the date of the video.

Recorded March 15, 1967 at the Stadthalle in Offenbach, Germany (near Frankfurt) for 'Beat Beat Beat' telecast.

They played 'Shapes of Things', 'Happenings Ten Years Time Ago', 'Over Under Sideways Down' and 'I'm A Man'.

• 2 months later...

Here's another pre Zeppelin video of Jimmy performing Over Under Sideways Down. I don't know the date of the video. I have always liked the sound he made with his guitar on this track, a sign of things to come from Jimmy with Led Zeppelin. Well, enjoy this early video, in good old black and white.......

I really liked this song. One of my favorites of the Yardbirds.

• 4 weeks later...

Spanish blood sounds almost like something Hte Doors would do. I also love the pic with Peter Grant.

I know it sounded a bit like what The Doors would have done. Here is another one with some great photos/slides:-)

Little Games-The Yardbirds

And another good one.

Dust my broom - The Yardbirds

Sonny Boy Williamson II & The Yardbirds Out Of The Coast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzdgi_RcXsA

thanks for that Deborah J

i've heard that Sonny Boy frightened the lads as they weren't used to seeing the real thing :)

also, rumour had it that he started his hotel room on fire trying to cook a rabbit in a perculator while drunk. :o

• 5 weeks later...

McCarty recent telephone interview :

"We formed out of two local bands," he said. "Our guitarist had to quit because his mother wanted him to concentrate on art school, we knew Eric, so we gave him an audition. I took an instant dislike to him, he was so cocky. He really liked himself. We were playing 12-bar blues songs and Eric just came in and did his thing. He was good, but rather flashy."

McCarty said he and Clapton grew to be friends over the years, but soon Clapton went off to seek his fortune with Cream, Blind Faith and so on. He was replaced by another guitarist, Jeff Beck. Meanwhile, Jimmy Page, who would later go on to form Led Zeppelin, desperately wanted to join the band.

"We wanted him to join earlier, but it didn't work out," McCarty said. "Then when he wanted to join, we already had Jeff. So Jimmy came on and played bass, which we all knew was rather stupid."

McCarty said they soon figured out where Page belonged. For a memorable period of time, the band had two lead guitarists. But it didn't always work out.

He said sometimes Beck and Page were incredible together, playing like they had the devil on their tails. But other times, because of personal jealousy, they just hurt each other onstage and the sound was awful.

They didn't have to worry about their excess of riches for too long because Beck walked out suddenly just before the start of a massive U.S. tour in 1966.

"Jeff got ill, he was always very nervous and wound up," McCarty said. "We were about to start this grueling Dick Clark tour and Jeff got stressed out. He smashed his guitar in the dressing room and said he wouldn't go on. He went to see some doctor in California because he thought he was having a nervous breakdown."

The band went on without Beck, with Page filling in nicely.

"Then, months later, Jeff walked in and said he was ready to come back," McCarty said. "We looked at each other and said it had worked better without him and that he was fired. It was a very Spinal Tap-like scene. He's never forgiven us."

* http://www.cleveland.com/music/index.ssf/2010/05/eric_who_reformed_yardbirds_co.html

Archived