A Cool Zep Story - 1975

Strat God

Happy Holidays folks.

My lead singer in the band is an old friend - we went to high school together back in the 70's. He bought some tickets to a Madison Square Garden show - February 12th, 1975. A week or so before the show he got better seats and sold me his original tickets (2). So we all went to see Zep.

Last week in rehearsal we brought up the Zep show and he mentioned he had a recording of the show. I never knew it, but one of the guys who went with him to the show recorded it with gear hidden in his cloths.So yesterday he stops in with 3 CD's he had burned. I've got the whole show on CD now -listening to it in the car the last few days.

How cool is it after all these years I get audio from a Zep show I attended in 1975?????

Very very cool. It is awesome to have a copy of the show you went to.

Even if there were "better" shows in other ways nothing is like the one you attended

yourself.

I got lucky and saw ozzy front second row and bought the tape two days later on ebay. On the third day it was removed. I can see myself right up front which makes it even better!

Enjoy!

Thanks guys. I have to say that the recordings are really not bad. Unfortunately, back in the day you based everything on the records because that's all we had -no MTV,very few bootlegs, no other outlets -so when we saw them live and they did different versions we weren't prepared for anything other than what we heard on the records. It was like "what the hell is that??".

Anyway, now I'm in my 50's and have been exposed to many vids and different versions of the songs so I'm more open to it. Also, back in the 70's Zep was popular, but had not gained that God-like status they have since achieved.

But it's still cool to have a recording of the show I went to.

Thanks guys. I have to say that the recordings are really not bad. Unfortunately, back in the day you based everything on the records because that's all we had -no MTV,very few bootlegs, no other outlets -so when we saw them live and they did different versions we weren't prepared for anything other than what we heard on the records. It was like "what the hell is that??".

Anyway, now I'm in my 50's and have been exposed to many vids and different versions of the songs so I'm more open to it. Also, back in the 70's Zep was popular, but had not gained that God-like status they have since achieved.

But it's still cool to have a recording of the show I went to.

I was fortunate to see Zep 5 times and have the recordings of all those I attended and some dvd's ( not that i recorded them) so I share your joy.

B)

Happy Holidays folks.

My lead singer in the band is an old friend - we went to high school together back in the 70's. He bought some tickets to a Madison Square Garden show - February 12th, 1975. A week or so before the show he got better seats and sold me his original tickets (2). So we all went to see Zep.

Last week in rehearsal we brought up the Zep show and he mentioned he had a recording of the show. I never knew it, but one of the guys who went with him to the show recorded it with gear hidden in his cloths.So yesterday he stops in with 3 CD's he had burned. I've got the whole show on CD now -listening to it in the car the last few days.

How cool is it after all these years I get audio from a Zep show I attended in 1975?????

...Hello...tks for sharing this extra ordinary story....this time period is very special to me as I was beginning to understand Rock and Roll music and the Name Zeppelin...indeed you brought back some special memories...thank you!!! I have listened to recordings of this show...I am envious...I wish my parents had moved to New York!!!

I'm wondering if your buddy's friend is the source for the "famous" audience recording of that show called "Can't take your Evil Ways". That particular recording was combined with the soundboard of the show as a matrix and is one FINE sounding show ! You should seek it out. Having a recording of your show from such a near contact is very cool anyway, whether or not it's the main audience source already out there in the trading circles. You may not know, but the soundboard source of that Feb. 12 show is considered one of the Best sounding sources of ANY Led Zeppelin show. You have much to investigate about your show that has shown up on bootlegs.

It doesn't sound like an 'off-the-board' recording- too much ambient talking from people sitting close by but you can make out Robert saying something about a snowstorm - he talks alot between songs but there are effects on his voice so it's hard to make out most of it. I will say Kashmir is probably the best cut although he mixes up the verses.

Of course, they were playing Kash before the record was released- I heard and watched Kashmir- my favorite song of all time - BEFORE the record came out!!! I remember thinking 'this one will be big with that repetitive line over and over'. Little did I know how big.

It's a joy talking with all of you. I'm a moderator on a large guitar forum website and you folks are much more respectful to newcomers than the other site ;^)

I was thinking your recording was from the audience. My suggestion was to seek out the 'matrix', the combination of an audience recording and the soundboard recording of the show. It's to me, the best sounding source out there. The famous original soundboard tape was called "Flying Circus". The mentioned title that ledded1 provided is the source I'm talking about, "Four Blocks in the Snow", matrixed by bluecongo. Check this link for the various bootleg releases of the show to see the artwork.http://zeppelinart.com/browse.asp?dir=1975%2F1975%2D02%2D12+new+yorkand then this link for some reviews, http://www.uuweb.led-zeppelin.us/1975.html#12-Feb-75 Madison Square Garden

I was thinking your recording was from the audience. My suggestion was to seek out the 'matrix', the combination of an audience recording and the soundboard recording of the show. It's to me, the best sounding source out there. The famous original soundboard tape was called "Flying Circus". The mentioned title that ledded1 provided is the source I'm talking about, "Four Blocks in the Snow", matrixed by bluecongo. Check this link for the various bootleg releases of the show to see the artwork.http://zeppelinart.com/browse.asp?dir=1975%2F1975%2D02%2D12+new+yorkand then this link for some reviews, http://www.uuweb.led-zeppelin.us/1975.html#12-Feb-75 Madison Square Garden

I have several differnt versions of this show one of which is the Blue Congo matrix.

The sources are SB Source: Heartbreakers Back in Town

Aud Source: Can’t Take Your Evil Ways

Archived