Acoustic - Whole Lotta Love

Swinging by to drop off this gem/jewel/diamond:

Recorded by concertgoers with simple technology - yet the sound - the voice - the whole performance just unbelievable!

1) This version is complete, great sound, great view, but with lotta crowd noise and at times head cut off on video:

2) This version has better sound, less crowd noise, visual from side with good view, but beginning is missing:

Enjoy - and looking forward to your comments

Thank you so much for your reply. Also hopefully helps assure other people that these links are for real. Listen to it folks, it is so beautifully done. The first link now has 35 tousand views in just 2 days, the other one about 20 K. So there are a lot of people taking note of this performance, and there is a lively discussion happening out in the field. I wish this Zeppelin fan site would join the discussion. Such music deserves to be back - it should never have left!

The reality is that there is a whole generation of kids who have never grown to appreciate great music in general and there is no question to me that both the rock versions that Adam Lambert performed so far, as well as now this acoustic version have re-introduced Whole Lotta Love to a new generation and thereby also given a classic song the generational rebirth it always needs. Such music needs to be eternal and this performance is in my mind helping with that, besides being the delightful ear-candy that it is.

I am so grateful that Plant gave Adam permission to cover his song both in studio as well as live, but I also think it was a really smart move on his part. He waited til a true artist and superb vocalist came along, and did not allow this song to get into the hands of those that can do only mediocre work or hack jobs. Here Adam does him truely proud.

Regarding Adam's dress: The concert took place on a reservation and so he honored the locale by going with a tribal theme. He also wanted his look to play back to the early 70s, given that his plan was to take a song he had rocked out to the max on his tour for his fans and turn it back to its bluesy - improv kind of roots. It is Adam's way of creating meaningful costume...and by the way, I actually find it beautiful and exotic and soothing, like this cover, but obviously that becomes a matter of taste. Perhaps that context helps, but if not - no harm done.

There is meanwhile a third recording out and Adam has provided the link via twitter. The NY-Post has picked up this performance in its entertainment section, but their article is kind of bla, so I am not linking that. Waiting for better commentaries worthy of a Led Zeppelin forum and if those come about I will bring them here.

Here is that third link to the same WLL performance:

I am not feeling it. It's missing music. Like I know it's acoustic but that doesn't mean the guitar has to take a backseat. It's a good vocal performance I suppose.

I think you can hear the guitar, bass and keys better in some fan's videos than in others. Here's a downloadable audio file that is better quality (and louder instruments) than any of the videos: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=1b9e7972a937800461d4646c62b381cbc682c16cc1a175acf7e866bfb1230ce0

wow! i love this version. he has a great voice.

can't say i like his look, but i guess that doesn't really matter. love his voice.

You might also like this. This is Black Dog, performed by a group of singers in The Zodiac Show in LA. Adam Lambert is the third singer in this video, beginning at 1:27.

You might also be interested in the backstory about Adam and Whole Lotta Love. Adam sang WLL (regular rock version) on American Idol last season. It was the first time that Led Zeppelin had cleared the use of one of their songs for Idol. This permission came after Adam had impressed the kids of someone in LZ management who got the ball rolling. Adam rocked WLL as his opening for the 50+-city Idol tour last summer. Here's a rock version at a recent concert:

Archived