Carouselambra

One of my favorite Zeppelin songs, I was wondering if anyone knew the meaning of the lyrics?

I found this online, not sure if it's true or not

"This is in fact a Viking funeral dirge. It's lyrical start is in beautiful alternating iambic septameter. The song tells the story of a warrior who dwells in (the ever popular) Valhalla at a time when he was needed by his people.

Musically, the first part of Coarouselambra tells the story of these people that are too busy with their own lore and its telling to heed any sort of danger.

The guitar-rich down tempo second part begins with their lament ("Where was your word, where did you go?"). He answers back with "I heard the word..." and has decided to return...

The third uptempo synth-heavy part makes oblique reference to his resurrection."

"Take of the fruit, but not the seed"

That's in there as well, sort of a life and death thing I reckon. A lot of rock song word's are mindless but artistic lines that just roll around in your head.

This song is more of an organized jam with deep and story like words placed at strategic points.

They had others like this in many of there other work's, a few that come to mind are...No Quarter, Since I've been Loving You and Dazed and Confused.

The song was rumored to be about certain people in the Zeppelin organization who Plant was disappointed with after the death of his son, which makes sense because the songs lyrics metaphorically speak in terms of death, struggle, & rebirth. To paraphrase a quote from Plant concerning the song's lyrics he said the song was about someone who was close to him & if that person sat back & listened to the lyrics in the future that person might go "My goodness, was it really like that?". Lol, I certainly have my theory on who those lyrics pertain to but I'll keep it to myself.

The song was rumored to be about certain people in the Zeppelin organization who Plant was disappointed with after the death of his son, which makes sense because the songs lyrics metaphorically speak in terms of death, struggle, & rebirth. To paraphrase a quote from Plant concerning the song's lyrics he said the song was about someone who was close to him & if that person sat back & listened to the lyrics in the future that person might go "My goodness, was it really like that?". Lol, I certainly have my theory on who those lyrics pertain to but I'll keep it to myself.

That's always what I've heard too, Kaiser. And, that's also why, according to what I was told, the keyboards are so high and loud in the mix and the lyrics (which I love) are so low and almost inaudible at times. In addition to the song being about certain people within the Zep organization, the line, "sisters of the wayside", I was told, referred to the young girls who would wait in the hotel corridors, outside the Zep guys' rooms. You're right about it being wise to keep certain things to ourselves. ;)

Archived