Dangerous Weather Down South

Memphis

Please keep those in Tennessee and the southern states...in your thoughts and prayers

bad storms passed over this weekend and I don't remember it being this bad.

The Beale Street Music Fest was this weekend and on Saturday it was evaluated and many bands canceled or weren't able to play...Alison Krauss was scheduled to play today but couldn't make it in to Memphis due to the flooding in Nashville.

http://www.memphisinmay.org/music

Dangerous Weather Down South

Channel 4 News in Middle Tennessee reports weather continues to plague the West and Middle Tennessee areas with massive rainfalls and tornado warnings. Areas in the Middle Tennessee area

the including Shelbyville, Murfreesboro, McMinnville, Gallatin, Longview, Rucker, Woodbury, Franklin, Clarksville, Paris, Hopkinsville, Savannah, Brentwood, Smyrna, Waynesboro, Dickson, Adamsville, Gainesboro, Linden, Waverly, Clifton, and several other areas including Mississippi, Kentucky, and Alabama are getting anywhere from eight to thirteen inches of rain. Trees falling and road cave-ins are becoming extremely problematic. Rain downfall is coming in at an alarming rate in a very small period. Winds are ranging anywhere from sixty to one hundred miles per hour. Officials are suggesting everyone to stay in their homes by all means possible. Rain is said to be consistent throughout the night and even tomorrow afternoon.

Areas in the West Tennessee Areas are said to have even harder hits. Several area businesses are closing and areas near the Jackson General Hospital in Jackson, Tennessee have road collapses. Many residents are confined to their homes because their cars covered up to the windshields by floods. Do not attempt to get out in these floods thinking that a large utility truck will be sufficient to maneuver in this weather. In the Memphis area, a fire truck attempting to rescue flood victims was overturned by these dangerous floods. Ironically, these rescuers had to be rescued themselves. This is just an example of how powerful these floods are

Officials are advising everyone to take the necessary precautions in this extreme weather. Listen to your local radio or television programs to know the status of your community. Know the difference between a tornado

watch and a tornado warning. A tornado watch means conditions are favorable for a tornado to occur. A tornado warning means a tornado has been spotted that has already touched down or have the possibility of touching ground. Move to the lowest level in your home, cover yourself with a mattress and stay away from windows. The safest place for a large family to be is in a hallway covered. If you are driving, do not try and out run a tornado. Get out of the car and find the nearest ditch to lie down in until the storm subsides.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2957716/severe_weather_in_the_west_and_middle.html?cat=8

Yup my sister is in North Carolina and we were wondering if it was heading that way. The news reports about Nashville are awful...it's going to take awhile to get everything back to normal. Plus, areas of Memphis are underwater too.

Where I am downtown is flooded and the schools are close.

In Nashville, it is difficult to get in or out of the city and flights were on hold yesterday and many roads, highways and interstates are closed. Nashville had a mandatory evacuations of some areas of downtown. A curfew was set up to keep people home and Opryland Hotel is flooded and could be closed for months and power is out in some areas and one water plant is down so people are being told to watch water use...the sad thing is this hasn't happen in years so it's a historical natural disaster. We got about the amount of rain we normally get in a years time in those two days. They are starting to ask for help-- the sad thing is many places weren't declared flood zones so the damage might not be covered.

There have been some lives lost but they are hoping the numbers stay low.

I figured many on here are familiar with the area or have family and friends here.

Nashville News

Looks bad, we have a medium sized river practically in our backyard, it would have run across the 6th tee of the golf coarse, then rise up a 200 foot grade before it got to the house. Never seen it in the back yard in 20 years, it has come with in 10 feet of the bottom of the hill many time's.

You'll definitely be in my prayers. Nashville is one of my favorite cities in the U.S., and I just love Tennessee in general. I went there on vacation in 2008 and liked it so much that I went back last year. I had no idea how bad it was until a few minutes ago when I found some pictures of LP Field half-filled with water, the Grand Ole Opry filled up past the stage, the Opryland Hotel ruined. Seeing that makes me REALLY worry about everybody who lives there, so stay safe. :( I'm so sorry.

Hello:

I saw a feature on a US morning show...I can't believe it...there are Canadian artists in Nashville, I believe

Yes I will pray that everyone is ok and the Grand Ol' Opry etc will recover...

Juliet

I'm definitely praying for the folks down there. I saw on the Weather Channel this morning that the Grand Ole Opry is flooded..I've been to Nashville, great city, and to have a landmark damaged and potentially ruined... :(

I also have a friend in the Memphis area...hopefully she's ok..I called her a couple of days ago and no call back from her..I really am worried about her, she's one of my best friends.. :'(

Slowly but surely Tennessee will come back bigger and better :)

I think many are just a bit taken back because it took awhile for anyone outside to notice that Tennessee was drowning but many learned from New Orleans and those areas and have been moving quickly which I think was the key

President Obama signs official papers allowing national relief to Nashville and that Tennessee has been declared a national disaster area-- so people can get help with insurance...there are 50 or more other areas on the list--Today 11 more have been added to the relief.

They are checking out Memphis and West Tennessee so I hope your friend is okay...I know water, electricity and other things are issues in some areas.

The kids in my area have been out of school for a week and they are checking into not having the kids have to make up the days since this is the last month before summer vacation and graduation

Looks like a river of chocolate milk...

Photos of Opryland hotel

OPRYLAND HOTEL FLOOD AND EVACUATION

Near me

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=DA&Dato=20100504&Kategori=PHOTOGALLERIES&Lopenr=5040801&Ref=PH

Tons of prayers...since the South played a big role in inspiring Led Zeppelin's music

Hello Memphis and others:

I was watching Larry King last eve and Kenny Chesney was being interviewed...Jo Dee Messina was also interviewed on another show....

I continue to send prayers from rural Ontario Canada...

Juliet

Archived