My Main Problem With Zeppelin's "Greatest Hits" Albums

Thoren

I have a problem with Zeppelin's "Early Days and Latter Days" and "Mothership" albums: Where are all the acoustic songs? It's almost as if the members of Led Zeppelin are embrassed by their acoustic past. The only thing close to an acoustic song on E+L days is "The Battle Of Evermore" and on "Mothership" you've "Over The Hills And Far Away" which is only, i'd say, half of an acoustic song. Where's my "That's The Way", "Gallows Pole", "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp" and my favourite "Hey Hey What Can I Do"?

I've come to the conclusion that the best way to find out if someone is an actual fan of Led Zeppelin is to ask them their favourite acoustic song, if they answer "Led Zeppelin didn't do anything acoustic songs" then you know they just picked up "Mothership" or something.

How about that there are few if any other recording artists that have ALL of their songs played on the radio? All...what...86 of them not including live recordings? I understand a concept of a "best of" but it is comical knowing that all of their songs get massive airplay from the U.S. to throughout the world. Yes I agree though. It is PROBABLY not the best representation of them as I do not consider Led Zeppelin a heavy metal band but a heavy folk band. If anything they were a heavy roots music group.

I have a problem with Zeppelin's "Early Days and Latter Days" and "Mothership" albums: Where are all the acoustic songs? It's almost as if the members of Led Zeppelin are embrassed by their acoustic past. The only thing close to an acoustic song on E+L days is "The Battle Of Evermore" and on "Mothership" you've "Over The Hills And Far Away" which is only, i'd say, half of an acoustic song. Where's my "That's The Way", "Gallows Pole", "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp" and my favourite "Hey Hey What Can I Do"?

I've come to the conclusion that the best way to find out if someone is an actual fan of Led Zeppelin is to ask them their favourite acoustic song, if they answer "Led Zeppelin didn't do anything acoustic songs" then you know they just picked up "Mothership" or something.

Compiliation albums target the casual or new fan,with the hope that some will eventually by all the albums.

• 3 years later...

Yes Greatest hits are for housewives, but they also are good entry level for poeple new to a bands output, then they can go and discover, agree there ahould be more acoustic on it.

And Queen fans begging to differ ? well they are all housewives are they not who buy Queen ??

Why does Queen get a bad rap (ouch Bo Rap) here ? even I am having a go at them and I like em.

Archived