THE DEAD WEATHER "Sea of Cowards"

TerrenceK

post-14978-127393491311_thumb.jpg

Not sure if there are any fans of Jack White's latest band. But they just released their 2nd opus "Sea of Cowards" this past Tuesday, and in my opinion there's a definite ZEPPELIN vibe & sound mixed in with the style they had developed on their debut "Horehound".

I wrote an extensive review of the album on my blog site, if anyone is interested in reading it: http://terrencek69.wordpress.com/

Not sure how I feel about them yet. I have a feeling they are better live than what I'm hearing on the album. I'm hoping to check them out sometime this year. It's interesting how JW jumps around with various bands (and how each band is completely different from the others). Thanks for the review.

Not sure how I feel about them yet. I have a feeling they are better live than what I'm hearing on the album. I'm hoping to check them out sometime this year. It's interesting how JW jumps around with various bands (and how each band is completely different from the others). Thanks for the review.

Yeah, they are DEFINITELY BETTER live than on album. But both releases are still very good. Thank you for checking out my review.

I haven't heard it yet! I am dying to, but I ordered it a long time ago from Amazon and I suspect they're combining shipping on it with Exile on Main Street, which was also a pre-order. Can't weight in yet, but I liked the observation in your blog about how Jack was obviously influenced by making the film It Might Get Loud with Jimmy Page.

Staci

Welcome TerrenceK and thanks for sharing your review! I listened to this the other weekend when they were streaming it on their website and thought it was great.

I'd never listened to Jack's music until It Might Get Loud and now I'm really sorry that I hadn't been all along.

Welcome TerrenceK and thanks for sharing your review! I listened to this the other weekend when they were streaming it on their website and thought it was great.

I'd never listened to Jack's music until It Might Get Loud and now I'm really sorry that I hadn't been all along.

Thank you, Virginia. I'm actually a Jack White newbie too, thanks to Staci Layne above. ;)

I haven't heard it yet! I am dying to, but I ordered it a long time ago from Amazon and I suspect they're combining shipping on it with Exile on Main Street, which was also a pre-order. Can't weight in yet, but I liked the observation in your blog about how Jack was obviously influenced by making the film It Might Get Loud with Jimmy Page.

Staci

Yeah, I guess I wasn't alone on my assessment of the ZEPPELIN influence, like this Washington Post review. I am looking forward to your thoughts on the album. I need to get that "Exile On Main Street" too.

• 3 months later...

From Pitchfork:

Jack White Invents a New Type of Vinyl Record

The new Dead Weather single will be available as a Triple Decker Record™.

jacktriple452.jpg

Jack White's the Dead Weather are putting out a new single for their track "Blue Blood Blues". Ho hum. But wait! It's being released in three different versions: a 7" record (with the B-side "Jawbreaker [live]"), a 12" record (with the B-side "No Hassle Night"/"I Just Want to Make Love to You [live]"), and a totally new form of vinyl recording that Jack's calling "the Triple Decker Record™".

It's basically the "Blue Blood Blues" 12" single... with a 7" record of an unreleased Dead Weather song inside of the 12" record! Only 300 will be available starting September 17-- go to the Third Man site for more info.

If you, too, are slightly confused by this innovation, please watch Jack White explain his newfangled old school/new school technology in a tutorial video below:

Archived