ROLLING STONE 500 GREATEST SONGS

I looked at this issue today.

Does anyone take into account that the votes for the list contain 24 Rolling Stone 'representatives' out of 162 voters ? That's about 1/8th or 12%-ish.

That's doesn't seem to be a very big factor seeing as how the rest are songwriters, producers, musicians, music writers etc...

And all the wrath goes to Rolling Stone magazine. So shoot the messenger not the message, huh ? 85-88% of the 'message' is coming from those outside of the magazine.

Shoot them !

11tu3y0.gif

I looked at this issue today.

Does anyone take into account that the votes for the list contain 24 Rolling Stone 'representatives' out of 162 voters ? That's about 1/8th or 12%-ish.

That's doesn't seem to be a very big factor seeing as how the rest are songwriters, producers, musicians, music writers etc...

And all the wrath goes to Rolling Stone magazine. So shoot the messenger not the message, huh ? 85-88% of the 'message' is coming from those outside of the magazine.

No, that would require them actually reading the issue and seeing how they determined what 500 songs were making the list as opposed to the millions of others out there. It's much more fun to jump to conclusions and go off half-cocked.

Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Summer 2010) (USA)

2010SummerRollingStone500GreatestSo.jpg

Front Cover

2010SummerRollingStone500Greates-1.jpg

Back Cover

#31 Stairway to Heaven, #75 Whole Lotta Love, #141 Kashmir, #300 Black Dog, #328 Heartbreaker, #440 Ramble On

Stairway should be number one:mad: Almost every local radio show I have ever heard contests on Stairway was number one. Give me a break. Rock n Roll I dont see?

• 3 weeks later...

Led Zep only getting 6 is comical, off the top of my head these should be automatics, mostly going by commercial appeal and songs you still always here on the radio.

Dazed And Confused

Communication Breakdown

Whole Lotta Love

Heartbreaker

Ramble On

Immigrant Song

Black Dog

Rock And Roll

Misty Mountain Hop

Stairway To Heaven

Over The Hills And Far Away

Kashmir

That should be 12 AUTOMATICS, those songs still get tons of radio airplay. HOW IS ROCK AND ROLL NOT ON THE LIST??? thats 1 of their most covered songs, and it still gets played at sporting events all over the usa. Plus epics like achilles and levee and tsrts are obviously some of the 500 best rock songs ever written.

6 is a complete joke, they should have 15 minimum.

Back in the seventies I would say they got quite a bit of respect. So new editors? One arcticle I remember on the front cover stated that Stairway to Heaven will be listened to over one hundred years from now. And of course Playboy magazine always respected them. I just didnt like that they always rated McCartney number one on bass. I mean, it should have been rated just for playing the instrument but his popularity as a singer got him higher there than he deserved. JPJ and Entwistle were always right there. Page was always right there with Clapton and Hendrix and Beck and Bonham and Moon as they deserved were usually right there. Ringo always seemed to be very high also. Both on the charts and otherwise. I would have to say I dont put much weight into Rolling Stone these days. Now I must say, I have not seen a Playboy magazine in years. I dont know if they still do the musical rankings anymore. Oh, and Elton John always won on the keyboards. I thought Emerson should have won a few times. The man is simply fabulous on keyboards.

Archived