Good Electronic Drums

redrum

For the economical minded. When me and my nephew went to the EMP in Seattle we went into the one room that had a guitar and electronic drums set up. I believe they were the Roland HD-1 set and I thought they sounded pretty awesome hooked up to the big speaker. I'm thinking about getting something just to mess around on and don't need the Alesis set with a gazillion different sounds. Plus they don't take up a lot of room and my place is pretty small. I've seen them for sale used too (money's tight).

All comments welcome.

B)

Get 'em! Roland make great V-drums. Sounds like that particular model is exactly what you need too. Do it! Have fun. How was the rest of the EMP? I've been thinking of going

All right! Thanks for the encouragement. I was truly amazed at how well they sounded and how they sounded like a real set. The snare was great and you could adjust it for damping or the ringing sound which I like the best. The tom toms also sounded great and I never had a real set where toms sounded that good. Also the bass drum, hi-hat and cymbals sounded good. It was a mindblower for sure.

The EMP is great and the ticket price ($15) also includes a small science fiction museum which has all kinds of stuff, even the metal skeleton of the Terminator.

But the EMP is really cool and has an area dedicated to Jimi + a history of rock and roll section and lots of cool old instruments including an original prototype of the Les Paul. The 'Guitar-Nado' is also awesome and has about 700 guitars (not expensive ones) and other instruments in a huge sculpture that looks like a tornado. There's also a cool gift shop and they were also showing films of Jimi's concerts from Woodstock and The Fillmore East with the 'Band Of Gypsys'. Buddy Miles' drumming on 'Machine Gun' to me is the type of drumming I like, like a freight train comin' at ya'. :D

By all means go see it if you can.

B)

Plus, all the tuning becomes electronic. ;) I'd definitely go for it.

The only thing to keep in mind is that being electronic equipment, it ages faster in case you want to resell it after a while.

I'm still amazed when I think of how good they sounded. And I guess you're right about anything electronic, they seem to become obsolete as soon as they hit the street. Case in point: The I Phone! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Plus, all the tuning becomes electronic. ;)

The only thing to keep in mind is that being electronic equipment, it ages faster in case you want to resell it after a while.

I'd have to disagree with you there...

the replacement of cymbals due to cracking or putting a hole through them every three to three and a half months

cost me too much...

when a sensor goes it costs a lot less to replace than a cymbal

I don't get what you mean by they age faster...

an electronic set will last just as long as an acoustic set

as with any instrument

take care of it properly and it will last

At the low end the Yamaha DTXIII is a good kit and can be bought in the $400-700 range used. I've owned it before and the feel is not the best, rubber rather than mesh, but the triggers fire at the right time and the module had plenty of authentic sounding models. HUGE advantage of electronic drums, mostly silent practice with headphones and being able to run out of the module into a PC if you desire to do any home recording. But it was the noise level that kept me pounding away, no concern for others in the house or pesky neighbors meant I could play all day if I wanted to. You'll get a lot of mileage out of e-drums.

At the low end the Yamaha DTXIII is a good kit and can be bought in the $400-700 range used. I've owned it before and the feel is not the best, rubber rather than mesh, but the triggers fire at the right time and the module had plenty of authentic sounding models. HUGE advantage of electronic drums, mostly silent practice with headphones and being able to run out of the module into a PC if you desire to do any home recording. But it was the noise level that kept me pounding away, no concern for others in the house or pesky neighbors meant I could play all day if I wanted to. You'll get a lot of mileage out of e-drums.

Thanks. I know they can be gotten used for fairly cheap. I also like the fact that you can play without the neighbors coming around with torches. :D

• 2 months later...

I also like the fact that you can play without the neighbors coming around with torches. :D

Brother, I'm telling you! Whatever it takes - get a set and you will not regret it! This is my second set of Rolands and I can and do play them 24/7 and will never be without a set again! In April 2009, I got laid off and had to begin selling off what used to be a pretty massive drum collection by any standards. One of the first to sell was my 1st Rolad kit and let me tell you I kicked myself in the ass from the minute they left my sight! I had no idea how dependant I had become on them for both band and personal practice - just like you said - without the neighbors coming around with torches!! My neighbors all developed a 6th sense and I swear the hair must have stood up on the back of their necks if I even LOOKED at my drums! They would race to their Bat Phones, the big beacon would light up the sky and by the second song there would be 2-3 cop cars in front of my house parked like I just knocked off B of A or...?? "Put down the sticks and come out with your hands up!" Not to mention all of the programed beats and melodies you can drum along to... I've learned more various styles since I got them than I ever knew before! Throw on your fav CD, a set of headphones and drum all night if you feel like it! :drumz:

CoolestRolandTd-20SX1.jpg

Brother, I'm telling you! Whatever it takes - get a set and you will not regret it! This is my second set of Rolands and I can and do play them 24/7 and will never be without a set again! In April 2009, I got laid off and had to begin selling off what used to be a pretty massive drum collection by any standards. One of the first to sell was my 1st Rolad kit and let me tell you I kicked myself in the ass from the minute they left my sight! I had no idea how dependant I had become on them for both band and personal practice - just like you said - without the neighbors coming around with torches!! My neighbors all developed a 6th sense and I swear the hair must have stood up on the back of their necks if I even LOOKED at my drums! They would race to their Bat Phones, the big beacon would light up the sky and by the second song there would be 2-3 cop cars in front of my house parked like I just knocked off B of A or...?? "Put down the sticks and come out with your hands up!" Not to mention all of the programed beats and melodies you can drum along to... I've learned more various styles since I got them than I ever knew before! Throw on your fav CD, a set of headphones and drum all night if you feel like it! :drumz:

CoolestRolandTd-20SX1.jpg

That's some cool lookin' stuff. :)

I could see you on a COPS episode coming out with a pair of Gretsch 5-D sticks held high. :lol:

• 1 year later...

Well, it's been 2 years since I posted this and I finally got my Roland set the other day. It's a TD7 and I got it all for $400. So far I love it. It has four toms too. I just have headphones for now but will soon be borrowing an amp from a friend and we will try some jamming together. I know they recommend a mixer and speaker but maybe down the road. I'm still adjusting them to my height and reach and had to tighten the kick pedal pivot (set screw was loose) and now the kick pad responds great. It has the downward strike pad with a Tama pedal. I love the 'Monster' patch sound of the kick drum which I could never get on my old acoustic sets. It's amazing the other sounds available too like the tympani drums. Too cool. With 32 patches there's a lot of variety in there.

Anyone else have or tried this model?

• 1 month later...

I now have the Roland CM110 speakers and man, what a difference over playing through a Peavey guitar amp. I also just sent for a Yamaha mixer so I can bring out better sounds from the hi-hat and cymbals. The drums sound awesome with the CM110 but the cymbals need more tweeking and I'm hoping the mixer will do the trick.

Am having a blast playing along with my friend Brian plus playing along with Zep, Nirvana, The Stones etc.

No regrets buyng this set up. :^)

• 1 year later...

I now have the Roland CM110 speakers and man, what a difference over playing through a Peavey guitar amp. I also just sent for a Yamaha mixer so I can bring out better sounds from the hi-hat and cymbals. The drums sound awesome with the CM110 but the cymbals need more tweeking and I'm hoping the mixer will do the trick.

Am having a blast playing along with my friend Brian plus playing along with Zep, Nirvana, The Stones etc.

No regrets buyng this set up. :^)

How a lot changes in 2 years. I sold this set & speaker along with the Peavey amp and Yamaha mixer and moved in with my girlfriend. But I still had the itch to drum and long story short, I got a Roland TD-11 Compact kit with a new Simmons DA200S amp (200 watts) and what a difference over the old TD7 kit. It's so much easier to tune the drums and cymbals now and the amp just sounds amazing. Back in March I signed up for lessons in town with teacher Scott Goodwin and went back to the very basics. Scott could see I sort of had a handle on playing but I did have some not so good habits that he has corrected. He's been having me do a lot of reading and I do enjoy that and figuring out the patterns and time signatures along with using the metronome (I have 3. A big Wittner, a small Seiko w/battery, and the Roland module). I am really trying to learn the 'Take Five' jazz beat too and it's coming along pretty good. If I can get up to 160 bpm on that tune, then I know I will have accomplished something. I love watching Joe Morello play.

Here's the 'Take Five' pattern.

I'm also playing along with lots of my fave tunes including INXS, james Brown, Motown, David Bowie, SF Seals, etc.

This time I'm staying with the drums and have plans to get back together with my friend Brian and play (where else) in the garage. :)

post-503-0-63733100-1414972988_thumb.gif

Hi Redrum,I bought a 1970's,Japanese "Canora" wood kit from a friend in about 2005 and banged away on it every other weekend accompanying a couple of mates who play electric guitar and bass just for our own enjoyment.

That kit was a 4 piece that came with the hi-hats and I bought a crash cymbal and stand,the floor tom came from another kit.But that kit became "tired" some years back and I was able to locate a 2nd hand 5 piece which is in great condition.I bought a new hi-hat stand with cymbals and a crash ride,crash and ride cymbals.Last year I refurbished the snare from the Jap kit and use it everyday.

Being self taught and having a good sense of rhythm I could easily carry a beat,but early last year I wanted to be able to do more and learn more on drumming so I spoke to people around town and found a guy who many feel is the best around here and I've been going to lessons for a year now.My teacher,when he was learning couldn't find relavent information about the many things he wanted to learn so he published a book on the subject and it's been of immense help,I feel that I've learned a lot in a year about timing and much more.

I bought a digital metronome recently too and I look forward to the lessons every week.

Hi Redrum,I bought a 1970's,Japanese "Canora" wood kit from a friend in about 2005 and banged away on it every other weekend accompanying a couple of mates who play electric guitar and bass just for our own enjoyment.

That kit was a 4 piece that came with the hi-hats and I bought a crash cymbal and stand,the floor tom came from another kit.But that kit became "tired" some years back and I was able to locate a 2nd hand 5 piece which is in great condition.I bought a new hi-hat stand with cymbals and a crash ride,crash and ride cymbals.Last year I refurbished the snare from the Jap kit and use it everyday.

Being self taught and having a good sense of rhythm I could easily carry a beat,but early last year I wanted to be able to do more and learn more on drumming so I spoke to people around town and found a guy who many feel is the best around here and I've been going to lessons for a year now.My teacher,when he was learning couldn't find relavent information about the many things he wanted to learn so he published a book on the subject and it's been of immense help,I feel that I've learned a lot in a year about timing and much more.

I bought a digital metronome recently too and I look forward to the lessons every week.

That's cool, Ross. Having a teacher is the only way to go. Tonight I was playing the Take Five pattern at 130 on the metronome. It's coming slow but sure. I hope some day to play along with the song and maybe even try Morello's solo. :)

That's cool, Ross. Having a teacher is the only way to go.

Tonight I was playing the Take Five pattern at 130 on the metronome. It's coming slow but sure. I hope some day to play along with the song and maybe even try Morello's solo. :)

Nice one,Redrum.Repitition is our friend. :D

Learning has given me a new appreciation of what an absolute monster John Bonham was on a kit and I find myself listening out for usually hidden drum parts in songs,Zep and others.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one,Redrum.Repitition is our friend. :D

Learning has given me a new appreciation of what an absolute monster John Bonham was on a kit and I find myself listening out for usually hidden drum parts in songs,Zep and others.

I had an issue of Modern Drummer where they dissected his playing. It was a great article.

Archived