Question about Jimmy and "Them"

Cav

Just wondering if anyone out there knew if Jimmy played on "Baby Please Don't" by Them?I know his session work is vast and mixed with legend and lore, but i thought i would add this little gem to the mix.

Thanks in advance

Cav

Just wondering if anyone out there knew if Jimmy played on "Baby Please Don't" by Them?I know his session work is vast and mixed with legend and lore, but i thought i would add this little gem to the mix.

Thanks in advance

Cav

According to Wikipedia here, he played on Them's song.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Page#Session_musician

Page's involvement on that track is a point of contention as Them guitarist Billy Harrison has strongly maintained he played the lead riff on the record:

"Page, at the time one of London's brightest young session guitarists, was brought in by management and played some rhythm guitar. But I definitely recorded the lead riff; I came up with the riff. I had been playing it for a year before I recorded it. I had even arranged the song. Yes, Page was at the session..." -- Billy Harrison

Thank-you everyone for the replys.Steve nice of you to add a touch of your insight as always.Its been too long since we have talked.That said everytime i hear this track it sounds like a young Jimmy Page to me, i don't why but it does.Even if it were Page iam sure Billy Harrison would lay claim to save face on such an amazing track.

Regards

Cav

Steve nice of you to add a touch of your insight as always. Its been too long since we have talked.

Cav, nice to see you back on the board. I've said it before but it bears repeating, you have a real knack for asking the sort of questions that leave Jimmy himself scratching his head.

:lol:B)

Billy Harrison's claims have been somewhat vague. I think he leaves open the possibility that either:

a) they both played on "Baby Please Don't Go"

or

b) Harrison played guitar on the earlier takes of the song, but was replaced by Page for the final take

Notice how Harrison says "I definitely recorded the lead riff" -- but he doesn't say if he recorded the lead riff on the version of the song that was actually released!

Having said that, if you listen to the song (here) it definitely sounds like there are 2 guitars in spots.

• 3 months later...

I think alot of the guitarists in the bands that Page played session on in the 1960's are all a bit smarting, the fact another gunslinger was asked to come in and play some overdubs, must of made em feel real inadequate, like the guys who buy big long cars etc.

Nice to see SAJ put a smiley at the end of the post, in the old days that just wouldn't have happened, nice to see ya letting your hair down....good on ya.

Archived