Doobie Brothers

The Pagemeister

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
12 hours ago, 1975NQ said:

"What a Fool Believes" is one of the best songs of all time.

I absolutely love it, but that's the only good song they did when Michael McDonald took over. He neutered them, much in the same way Peter Cetera neutered Chicago when he took over. They went from a hard rock group to a yacht rock group, and while I don't hate yacht rock, it's not what I want to hear from a band that did "China Grove," "Long Train Running," and "Take Me In Your Arms (Rock Me a Little While)".

Most bands are done a great disservice by "classic rock radio".  The radio conglomerates play the same few songs over and over.  The Doobie Brothers have a great catalog of songs that are never heard on the radio.  Here are some of my favorite tracks that are not radio songs.

by album

Toulouse Street

Disciple, Snake Man 

The Captain and Me

Clear as the Driven Snow

What Were Once Vices

Spirit, Pursuit on 53rd Street, Eyes of Silver, Road Angel, Down in the Track, Daughters of the Sea

Stampede

Sweet Maxine, Neal's Fandango, Slat Key Soquel Rag,  I Cheat the Hangman, Rainy Day Crossroad Blues, Double Dealin' Four Flusher 

1 hour ago, Electrophile said:

I absolutely love it, but that's the only good song they did when Michael McDonald took over. He neutered them, much in the same way Peter Cetera neutered Chicago when he took over. They went from a hard rock group to a yacht rock group, and while I don't hate yacht rock, it's not what I want to hear from a band that did "China Grove," "Long Train Running," and "Take Me In Your Arms (Rock Me a Little While)".

Not a scholar of all things Doobie, but yeah I've heard that before. I don't have any of their records or anything, I just like good songs. 🙂

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...