Rip It Up - 6/25/77

ledrim

Hey Everyone,

I first bought "Badge Holders" (6/23/77) back in the 70's and thought by far that was their best performance in '77 (from what I've heard). Believe it or not, I'm now listening to 6/25/77 called Rip It Up for the first time and I believe that this is actually a better performance. The only problem with this show is that the levels seem a bit low. Does anyone know of a better version that has a similar sound quality to Badgeholders or LTTE.

Hey Everyone,

I first bought "Badge Holders" (6/23/77) back in the 70's and thought by far that was their best performance in '77 (from what I've heard). Believe it or not, I'm now listening to 6/25/77 called Rip It Up for the first time and I believe that this is actually a better performance. The only problem with this show is that the levels seem a bit low. Does anyone know of a better version that has a similar sound quality to Badgeholders or LTTE.

IIRC "Rip It Up" plays fast- it's considered the worst version of 6/25 out there. As with any of the LA '77 shows, get the Winston Remasters versions; they're the best IMO. As I've said many times, official live albums can't top that sound!

I'm not too sure if 6/25 is better than 6/23...YMMV, but 6/25 has some pretty sloppy Page moments along with some pretty lazy drumming from Bonham.

Personally, I'd rate the LA '77 shows thusly:

6/23; 6/21; 6/22; 6/27 (my personal favourite); 6/26; 6/25. Mike Millard taped all the shows except for 6/22 and 6/26...now those recordings aren't bad, but they ain't Millard...say, a 7 outta 10 sound quality-wise as opposed to a 10 outta 10 for Mike The Mike.

Do you have the old Dragonfly "Badgeholders" LP's? In my not so humble opinion, best sounding source of that show bar none!

an oldie but goodie

z10.jpg

B)

:P Yep...them's the ones! Bought mine in...87, I think it was. Sixty bucks for the set...one of the first, ahem, bootlegs I ever bought (this was one of my usual vinyl shops in town; rarely did they get bootlegs in those days). Still got 'em, about the same condition I got them in (mint or close to) and play them quite a bit- my 'at home' source for this show (I also have the TDOLZ CD which uses the vinyl source as opposed to the Millard tapes; IMO the vinyl source trumps Millard, sorry Mike). As with most people, that and The Destroyer were my introduction to the 1977 tour. B) I've been trying to find a vinyl copy of Destroyer for years; my first copy I'd taped from a friend who got it from IIRC a college radio broadcast- vinyl freak that I am I don't think I've ever heard the Destroyer vinyl, let alone seen it (and it's been around since the old days too)

Edited by Nutrocker

swing on by and we'll have a listen..........;)

z19.jpg

this is the supposed "best" version out there on vinyl, which was a bit harder to find

the more generic and readily available box set is awesome too....don't think i took a pic of mine, but i'm sure all boot collectors from back then would have a copy

i lied...guess i did

19.jpg

any self respecting zep hed would be very familiar with this one B)

Edited by beetleron

swing on by and we'll have a listen..........;)

z19.jpg

this is the supposed "best" version out there on vinyl, which was a bit harder to find

the more generic and readily available box set is awesome too....don't think i took a pic of mine, but i'm sure all boot collectors from back then would have a copy

i lied...guess i did

19.jpg

any self respecting zep hed would be very familiar with this one B)

The second one is April 28th, yeah?

I've only ever seen the pictures...those are yours? How's the sound, compared the the CD/'digital' versions, if you've heard them?

(Sorry to the OP for temporarily highjacking yer thread!)

they are both the soundboard from the 27th.the 28th show is the one with the conan artwork by frank frazetta (which i do not have :angry: )

any of the soundboard destroyers are excellant......the one i liked best i downloaded somewhere a few years back (wasn't from a cd at that time), but you can't lose with any of them

they are both the soundboard from the 27th.the 28th show is the one with the conan artwork by frank frazetta (which i do not have :angry: )

any of the soundboard destroyers are excellant......the one i liked best i downloaded somewhere a few years back (wasn't from a cd at that time), but you can't lose with any of them

It's interesting...I've heard a couple of different versions of the April 27 soundboard over the years- this 'master reel' version that popped up online some while back, which of course sounded like all the other '77 boards, yet the copy I've had for years doesn't have that 'dry' sound like Landover; it sounds like a live album, except half of TSRTS and the piano section of NQ are missing. I've never really considered that my source of The Destroyer (CDRs I've had for years...still have my old tapes in a box somewhere) came from the old vinyl but soundwise perhaps it did. And it sounds damn good then...the 'live in the studio' dry sound of the other '77 SDBs pales in comparison...

A fine discussion, Ron (perhaps 6/25 isn't that worthy of talking about after all...). We seem to be kickin it old school here...old vinyl and tapes and shit...as I believe you mentioned before, some of the kiddies out there with their mp3s and iPods would be totally lost :D Though it should be mentioned in regard to how times have changed that the shop where I used to find the old bootleg vinyl I've got ain't around anymore, either- but then I also popped in to HMV (which is slowly closing down itself) around Xmas and thinking, "Funny, this used to be a music store..." more DVDS and video games etc than CDs or whatever B)

seeking things out at flea markets or finding that cellar dwelling bootleg store was a ton of fun.......not a lot on the market in those days, just a few of the classics really............and for info we had to rely on.....gasp.....books

whatifgodwinsoneofus.jpg

books which are.....funny enough.....probably older than half the people on this board

info wasn't available at the click of a mouse.......and certainly people weren't whining and crying about file formats, most of which can only be discerned with a program to tell them which "sounds the best " anyways.....not by listening........but by checking the magical "lossless' graph

but i digress......:D:P

seeking things out at flea markets or finding that cellar dwelling bootleg store was a ton of fun.......not a lot on the market in those days, just a few of the classics really............and for info we had to rely on.....gasp.....books

whatifgodwinsoneofus.jpg

books which are.....funny enough.....probably older than half the people on this board

info wasn't available at the click of a mouse.......and certainly people weren't whining and crying about file formats, most of which can only be discerned with a program to tell them which "sounds the best " anyways.....not by listening........but by checking the magical "lossless' graph

but i digress......:D:P

I know what you mean. We've been totally spoiled, and all in the last ten, fifteen years or so, really. Sure, it is kinda neat, but what I remember is that goddamn big yellow book in all the music stores (i.e. the catalog) that generally if they didn't have it in stock right then chances were good they could special order it for ya. Including some 'import' items in there B)

as for messing with wave formats, i understand that but I didn't spend easily hundreds of dollars over the years on stereo equipment, etc to want my music in a file. As backup on a hard drive computer or discs, sure...