Mystery of the Symbols on the Box Set

missytootsweet

Hi there!

Here's my question and I did try to look it up but no luck, and and I hope someone sees this thread. :)

So, I noticed on my copy of the 4 CD set of Led Zeppelin that came out in 1990, (but that I just got for Christmas) these crosses and numbers in each corner on the outside cardboard box. The lower right is an infinity symbol within a cross and the others are numbers 54, 69, and 79 printed in different quadrants of the 3 other crosses.

Is this another Jimmy Page symbol thing since he was interested in that type of thing? Anybody know what it references or is it all meaningless?

But, then why put those numbers there? A mystery to me, but I figured someone here would be able to set me straight. Thanks!.....:) missy

Edit: I would upload a nice picture for you to see with my fancy scanner/printer, but alas I don't know how to do that..............missy

54: The number of songs on the box set.

69: (19)69, the year the first studio album was released.

79: (19)79, the year the last studio album was released.

(X): The sideways '8' is the mathematical symbol for infinity, representing of course, how long the music will last.

Wow, Mr. DavidZoso you are really good!

Now why couldn't I figure that out?

I tried birthday dates, astrology signs, and all kinds of various numerical combinations and missed the obvious. :rolleyes:

At least I know now,--- as well I should since I have that big ole' "Zephead" title above my name now right? :lol:

So I have a follow up qustion. Do you know what the small circle with the horizontal line through it means (bottom center of box)?

Thanks very much..............................:) missy

So I have a follow up qustion. Do you know what the small circle with the horizontal line through it means (bottom center of box)?

Thanks very much..............................:) missy

Now I am guessing here but maybe it means that it is the first half of the balance of their musical output. Because the rest of the remastered tracks were released in the second box set in 1993. :unsure:

(X): The sideways '8' is the mathematical symbol for infinity, representing of course, how long the music will last.

Thanks, can't say I've ever paid much attention to those. Now I know, goes to show you can learn something new around here everyday.

This probably isn't the answer but it may be worth adding that those symbols on the cover slightly resemble registration marks which are used in graphic design:

crop-marks-clip-art.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

ϵ( :

I was gonna think of that... eventually.:whistling:

I'ma look through the Wingding fonts to see if they have any of the four symbols -- you'd think as iconic as they are some 'puter nerd would have created a character for each by now.

:gimmefive:

• 1 month later...

Archived