San Diego, California June 19, 1977

DavidZoso

This show was the first show played in California in 1977. It was the show before the awesome Jun 21, 1977 show at the Forum in Los Angeles which was the first of a wonderful 6 night sold out stretch. Robert talked about Jimmy's hand being injured from the last New York show at Madison Square Garden on June 14, 1977. Somebody thru a firecracker and it hit his right hand-in fact if you look at these pics- he has a bandage on it. Then Robert also was talking about John Paul Jones having back problems- he jokes that it is caused by playing backgammon :P But I think it might have been for real- (as I have a pic of him from this show on my other computer in storage) -and he is playing the bass sitting down on the drum riser. :huh:

But Robert doesn't really say anything about Bonzo but he must have not been feeling good as his timing is off- especially on the first 3 numbers and he doesn't do a drum solo. If you notice Jimmy is wearing plain white pants and not the white dragon pants but just the dragon top. He also wore the same at that last show in New York on the 14th. From what I have been able to figure out he didn't wear the white dragon pants but only the dragon jacket and plain white pants at the first 10 shows. I think he finally wore the full white dragon suit-at the 2 Cincinnati shows on April 19th and 20th. Of course at the April 10th Chicago show he wore the stormtrooper outfit but then after Moby Dick returned to the stage in the white dragon top and plain white pants. I have alot more pics of this show on my computer in storage and will add at a later date.

The Song Remains the Same

lz19770619_03.jpg

Sick Again

sandiego77_4_0.jpg

lz19770619_06.jpg

Since I've been Loving You or Kashmir

sandiego77_2_0.jpg

In my Time of Dying or Kashmir

lz19770619_04.jpg

Ten Years Gone

lz19770619_07.jpg

The Battle of Evermore

lz19770619_02.jpg

Achilles Last Stand

lz19770619_05.jpg

Achilles Last Stand

lz19770619_01.jpg

Achilles Last Stand

sandiego77_1_0.jpg

Stairway to Heaven

sandiego77_3_0.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Poor Bonzo...he ate too many rhinestones that night...I know all hell would have broken loose but IMO they really should have postponed this gig. Although it is kinda funny hearing Bonzo so out of it as it's so out of character for him...

• 5 months later...

Archived