WEST MEMPHIS THREE FREED!

betteremily

Read about this great news on my way to a show tonight. It's about fucking time!

Of course, nothing can make up for their lost youth spent in prison, and they still had to agree to some suspiciously worded agreement arranged by the D.A.

But at least they're out.

^ Yes. God only knows what they went through in there. I'm glad they're home.

If I understand correctly, what "the deal" really amounts to is they can't sue anyone. Right?

Good question. I don't know. Maybe because of the Alford Plea, since they still had to plead guilty, they can't sue or make money from their story.

You are correct about the Alford Plea, it is almost the same as nolo contendre but with added stipulations. Hence, they cannot sue the state of Arkansas for wrongful imprisonment, prosecutorial misconduct, judicial misconduct, or negligence in any way related to the case. The judge which tried this case is now a state senator and the prosecutor is a sitting judge. Without the Alford Plea it could have very well brought down the whole rotten house of cards known as Arkansas politics.

This case is a textbook travesty of justice. There was no DNA evidence or any other evidence of any kind linking these boys to the murders. They were convicted because the jury foreman introduced the Misskelley confession which even the corrupt judge deemed inadmissible and was never introduced into evidence. The confession was coerced from Misskelley by the West Memphis PD after 12 hours of threats to him and his family, no access to food, water, or a bathroom, and then given a promise they would let him go home if he would simply confess. When Misskelley did confess the confession did not match in any way what was found at the crime scene AND Misskelley claimed they abducted the kids before school when in fact the kids had been in school all day and did not go missing until after 6pm.

Everyone needs to read up on this case who is not familiar. It is a great example of the American justice system gone horribly awry and how stereotypes and prejudice are still very much alive and well in America.sad.gif

One last very important point...Jessie Misskelley has an IQ of 79 making him functionally mentally handicapped and therefore ineligible to confess in most states anyway. Arkansas excluded, since they have already executed at least two mentally handicapped inmates within the past 20 years.slapface.gif

Arkansas is a beautiful state, but only a fool or redneck would live there by choice. Just my opinion, please do not take offense.

"The judge which tried this case is now a state senator and the prosecutor is a sitting judge. Without the Alford Plea it could have very well brought down the whole rotten house of cards known as Arkansas politics"

Yep. My understanding with this Plea is that (although unlikely) the state could bring other charges at a later date if other evidence surfaces. So they have that hanging over them for the rest of their lives.

Archived