Richard (new guy) and his "one of a kind" Plant photo and autograph

fishhead

I have had this photo since 1978 when I was 14yrs old. It was given to me by a guy back then who knew how much of a Zep fan I was (I started at age 11 with Pysical Graffiti for Christmas). The photo is actual Kodak paper so I am pretty sure it is a one of a kind. I have kept it with me throughout my life, now at 47yrs of age. A couple of years ago I was at the Robert Plant & the Strange Sensation show at the Molson Amphitheatre in Toronto. My buddy Howie knew a guy who was able to get me backstage and in a line of people that Robert was going to walk by after an interview. Sure enough Robert started at the far end from me. Holy smokes, there he was.... Women were going wild as he signed his name to stuff, and posed for pictures. As he got closer to me he turned to leave. I yelled, `Robert!...please can you sign this``...he turned and came to me, looked at the photo, smiled hugely, grabbed my sharpie and signed it. I wish I could have at least said something but was unable.....the guy that was on my wall all these years in posters, and who I have listened too to the point of him feeling like a good friend was standing right in front of me and I could not utter another word. I just wish I could have said thanks for all the music......I had to share this with my fellow Zep fans ...cheers Richard...P.S.-He was very nice to everybody and that was great to see.....God Bless Led Zeppelin

post-18747-0-49494100-1324496033.jpg

Thanks for sharing your rare photograph and story with the forum. You may enjoy seeing the feature below as it shows he was wearing the very same jacket and buttons when they departed London for the 1977 North American tour. Perhaps your photo was taken at the Plaza Hotel in New York? Certainly it was taken somewhere in 1977.

62068_150627568308413_1000008351136.jpg

Anyone have a clue as to pic on the button on Robert's jacket?

Inquiry email to Dave Lewis of Tight But Loose dated February 19, 2011:

Hello Dave,

Yet another photo of you has surfaced on the official Led Zeppelin site. There's been some discussion of it in the forum. I wanted to inquire directly if you could confirm what button Robert is wearing and if you were the one who gave it to him? Also, if you could confirm the photo was taken at Heathrow, if the others were present and the date. Many thanks, Dave! Steve A. Jones

Reply email dated February 19, 2011:

Steve

This photo was taken at Heathrow Airport on the afternoon of Tuesday May 17th 1977. They were flying out for the second leg of the tour which resumed the next day in Birmingham Alabama. All of the band were there - Jimmy arrived wearing a white suit in a range rover with his driver Rick Hobbs. Bonzo, Robert and JPJ arrived in a limo. Richard Cole was also there.

I had been at the Swan Song office earlier - I was asked to go out and buy copies of the Evening Standard which had an apology for a story they ran of a case of mistaken identity concerning someone who had claimed to be Robert Plant in Atlanta and had been arrested for drunkenness and carrying a knife - these were being sent to Peter Grant. Unity at Swan Song gave me various 10x 8 prints of the band to get signed.

Robert was wearing a badge with a picture of the Queen on it (this was her Silver Jubilee year) and a silver pendant badge of a viking ship. He also wore the Queen badge at the Ivor Novello Awards a few days earlier. JPJ had as you can see wore a union jack zipper jacket and a Song Remains The Same t shirt.

I got there around 4pm - there was a Welsh fan named Russ Rees also there with a couple of his friends - he took the pic. I was lucky enough to spend nearly two hours chatting as they waited for their flight call at 6pm. They signed various photos which I am holding. A very memorable day.

If you can spread the TBL message on the forum I'd be most grateful - TBL 28 can be ordered via this link on the TBL site:

http://www.tightbutloose.co.uk/tblweb09/?page_id=8191

Best Regards

Dave

Cool story fishhead (okay, ya gotta explain that name!!!). What a satisfying experience that had to be.

And as Deborah J said, " having that photo was probably enough for Robert to know your appreciation" even though you couldn't get a word out.

lol...the name is actually the name of my band here in Barrie Ontario. Our drummer used to call his brother a "fishhead" and we used it as a goof....we have a bunch of tunes on youtube at barriesfishhead if interested....Dancing Days is one of them,,,,,cheers Richard

Thanks for sharing your rare photograph and story with the forum. You may enjoy seeing the feature below as it shows he was wearing the very same jacket and buttons when they departed London for the 1977 North American tour. Perhaps your photo was taken at the Plaza Hotel in New York? Certainly it was taken somewhere in 1977.

62068_150627568308413_1000008351136.jpg

Anyone have a clue as to pic on the button on Robert's jacket?

Inquiry email to Dave Lewis of Tight But Loose dated February 19, 2011:

Hello Dave,

Yet another photo of you has surfaced on the official Led Zeppelin site. There's been some discussion of it in the forum. I wanted to inquire directly if you could confirm what button Robert is wearing and if you were the one who gave it to him? Also, if you could confirm the photo was taken at Heathrow, if the others were present and the date. Many thanks, Dave! Steve A. Jones

Reply email dated February 19, 2011:

Steve

This photo was taken at Heathrow Airport on the afternoon of Tuesday May 17th 1977. They were flying out for the second leg of the tour which resumed the next day in Birmingham Alabama. All of the band were there - Jimmy arrived wearing a white suit in a range rover with his driver Rick Hobbs. Bonzo, Robert and JPJ arrived in a limo. Richard Cole was also there.

I had been at the Swan Song office earlier - I was asked to go out and buy copies of the Evening Standard which had an apology for a story they ran of a case of mistaken identity concerning someone who had claimed to be Robert Plant in Atlanta and had been arrested for drunkenness and carrying a knife - these were being sent to Peter Grant. Unity at Swan Song gave me various 10x 8 prints of the band to get signed.

Robert was wearing a badge with a picture of the Queen on it (this was her Silver Jubilee year) and a silver pendant badge of a viking ship. He also wore the Queen badge at the Ivor Novello Awards a few days earlier. JPJ had as you can see wore a union jack zipper jacket and a Song Remains The Same t shirt.

I got there around 4pm - there was a Welsh fan named Russ Rees also there with a couple of his friends - he took the pic. I was lucky enough to spend nearly two hours chatting as they waited for their flight call at 6pm. They signed various photos which I am holding. A very memorable day.

If you can spread the TBL message on the forum I'd be most grateful - TBL 28 can be ordered via this link on the TBL site:

http://www.tightbutloose.co.uk/tblweb09/?page_id=8191

Best Regards

Dave

Hey Dave/Steve, glad you liked the shot. Yours is great too and have seen it before on the internet. I did see a fan photo of Robery with leather jacket and Bankks tee-shirt and it was at the plaza in 77 so I figure mine may also bee from that day(s) also. That tee-shirt doesn't show up very often...cheers Richard

Cool story fishhead (okay, ya gotta explain that name!!!). What a satisfying experience that had to be.

And as Deborah J said, " having that photo was probably enough for Robert to know your appreciation" even though you couldn't get a word out.

lol...the name is actually the name of my band here in Barrie Ontario. Our drummer used to call his brother a "fishhead" and we used it as a goof....we have a bunch of tunes on youtube at barriesfishhead if interested....Dancing Days is one of them,,,,,cheers Richard......P.S.- it was amazing even just standing with him....I will never forget it....glad you enjoyed the photo/story...

• 4 months later...

Archived