Guitar care

Led In My Head

Hi everyone i'm relatively new to playing the guitar and am wondering if any of you know about the cleaning products. I own a guitar with a nitrocellulose lacquer finish on the body and recentpy bought some 'Dr Stringfellow string cleaner/lubricant, the man in the guitar shop gave me the impression that this could be applied the body as well as the strings. Do you know if doing so would be okay, such as could the cleaner damage the finish?

Just get a bottle of Gibson Polish for your body. I'd recommend you buy Guitar Honey Conditioner for your fretboard. And just change your strings, and if you haven't learned how yet YouTube is very resourceful. You could get one of the many string cleaning products GHS has available, but I don't prefer them myself. If you don't play much, your strings should last a little longer, just be sure you wipe your strings down with a clean cloth after playing.

I apply lemon oil on fretboard and strings after every gig, Gibson polish on bodies... Athough I prefer dirty guitars.

I've read from alot of places that can be damaging, so I'd be careful with that, that is unless you've been doing it for 30 or 40 years with no ill effects.

I have a kit with haze remover, polishm, and lemon oil from Dunlop. I've heard Pledge or other standard furniture cleaners will work, but you wanna make sure to get it out of any crevices as dirt will really stick to it.

Really depends on the climate where you live. Here I can get by with a soft cloth and water. Dryer climates may require an oil based conditioner for hardwood fretboards, bridges other parts. Humid climates may mean regular cleaning for hardware to avoid corrosion. Most furniture cleaners and polish contain wax and chemicals that may damage the finish. I would avoid. I'd stick to products specifically sold for wooden instruments. Reviews are telling. Most of the good ones are quick to mention their product doesn't contain harmful additives, wax, fragrance, detergents, abrasives, corrosive stuff etc.

Edit: Should mention I use Dr. Ducks. But it's the old formula. The new stuff, I think the company changed hands, sucks. I've had the same bottle since '92. Still have about 1/4 left.

Never use furniture polish on nitrocellulose lacquer. It couls seriously soften the lacquer. I learnt the hard way and made that mistake on a Gibson SG Custom many years ago.

It did me a favour really, as I traded the SG in for my dream guitar - a honeyburst Gibson Les Paul Standard (which I clean with proper guitar product).

How about going to your local guitar store and see what they recommend.

Archived