Gentle Giant

Pez_Fartola

anyone here like Gentle Giant and do you have a favorite album by them? i like Gentle Giant a lot and my favorite album by them so far is ''Aquiring the Taste'' but i haven't all of their albums yet, such as ''In A Glass House'' ''The Power and the Glory'' and ''Free Hand'' i hope to be checking them out soon though.

Only thing I remember about them is I saw them open for Black Sabbath at the Hollywood Bowl in 1973 and they bored the audience to distraction. Never got intrigued enough to check out their albums until much later.

Not my cup of tea, I guess.

Only thing I remember about them is I saw them open for Black Sabbath at the Hollywood Bowl in 1973 and they bored the audience to distraction. Never got intrigued enough to check out their albums until much later.

Not my cup of tea, I guess.

i read about that show and that just seems like bad booking to me. anyway, i love creative and progressive music and i love Black Sabbath also. i saw Black Sabbath in concert on my birthday once.

For some inexplicable reason, Black Sabbath liked having hippy-dippy prog bands open for them...maybe they thought they would seem heavier coming after some prog rock.

In 1972, on the Masters of Reality tour, Yes opened for Black Sabbath. This would be the last tour Bill Bruford played before he left and Alan White took over.

Yes, huge fan, and have been for a long time. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be the live album Playing The Fool, highly recomended. As for their studio albums, that's a tough call, but The Power and The Glory, Octopus and In A Glass House are all top contenders for me. I also really think Interview is underrated as well.

Edited by Cletus

I'm not the only person on the planet that's a Tull fan.

Nope ... I'm guilty as well.

I love Songs From The Wood and Minstrel In The Gallery

Wow that's amazing about Yes, I would've thought they would be the bigger band by then.

They should have stuck with the hippy-dippy shit support bands in 78 instead of choosing VH. FAIL. Mind you, there probably weren't many hippy-dippy bands left by then. Cheers, punk!

Sabbath were much bigger than Yes in the States at the time... Rick Wakeman got along better with the members of Sabbath and used to travel with them instead of Yes. He also guested on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

I think the whole "Van Halen blew Sabbath off the stage" in 78 is blown out of proportion... I'm sure there were some nights they were better.. some nights not... I saw the Black and Blue tour in 1980 and BOC was better than Sabbath at the show I was at.. it happens.

Edited by the chase

• 8 years later...