Left of the Dial

Jahfin

There was a mild rockabilly revival in the late 70s'...................

I remember reading a lot about Robert Gordon back then but I never did actually hear his music until I subscribed to XM. They play him every so often on the Deep Tracks channel.

I remember reading a lot about Robert Gordon back then but I never did actually hear his music until I subscribed to XM. They play him every so often on the Deep Tracks channel.

I saw him open for...hmmm, I want to say Blondie, but it might have been Patti Smith...sometime in 78 or 79, I think. The cool thing was Link Wray was in his band! That was the only time I saw him live.

May have to start an alt.country thread. Believe it or not, I don't think there's one already underway.

Hmmmm, I seem to recall an Alternative Country thread here somewhere...

Two of the greatest videos of the 80s were Van Halen's "Jump" and The Replacements "Bastards of Young". Not just because they were great songs...but because they showed you could make an entertaining video for peanuts. At a time of multi-million dollar Michael Jackson videos-cum-pepsi ads, it was refreshing to see. I LOVED the image of the tapping foot and the throbbing woofer of the speaker...GENIUS!!!

Thanks, I used to watch a lot of 120 Minutes. Mary's Danish is one of many bands I never would have heard of otherwise.

They were a great band, a meld of punk, country, funk, you-name-it, and the band could seriously play...and on top of all that you had the gloriously skewed harmonies and dynamics of the two dynamos up front: brunette Julie and blonde Gretchen.

Tragically, they were one of the examples of how soul-sucking the music industry could be...Morgan Creek records fucked them over. The LA Weekly ran an excellent piece on the whole Mary's Danish thing back around 1999. I don't have the link handy but if you do a search, I'm sure you can find it...it's a real horror-show.

The other thing that made it difficult for me back then, is that I was a fan of both Thelonious Monster and Mary's Danish, and Bob and Julie started seeing each other. When the relationship ended, it ended ugly and spectacularly...both of them ended up writing songs about each other. It was an uncomfortable situation, as I liked both of them.

Most of the time, I'm not that excited about reunions...but Mary's Danish is one I would definitely be sweet on.

Strider, thanks for the lowdown. I was never aware of any of that. I would tape 120 Minutes on Sunday nights and watch it back during the week. Sometimes I'd explore the music of the artists I liked further, sometimes not. Mostly I was just thankful that I was being exposed to music other than what was being played on local radio at the time. I give lots of props to WQDR, an old school album rock station if ever there was one but there wasn't really room in their format but the truly edgy stuff. Yeah, I know that's not something that's always associated with MTV but 120 Minutes (and Postmodern MTV) were very notable exceptions to that. I haven't read it yet but I'm looking very forward to digging into I Want My MTV: The Uncensored Story of the Music Video Revolution, especially the chapter devoted to MTV's alternative music programming such as 120 Minutes, Postmodern MTV and I.R.S.' The Cutting Edge. For those of us that grew up in largely rural areas, those shows provided a musical lifeline.

On the 120 Minutes tip, I give you Mary My Hope:

http://youtu.be/CXN7oBYX2HQ

Edited by Jahfin