Robert 30 Years Ago

Cuban

As Pictures at Eleven is 30 years old this year and with next year being the 30th anniversary of The Principle of Moments album and tour, I wondered what people thoughts are now looking back?

I was listening to the radio show from America from 1983 and I'd forgotten how good it sounded, to me it sounds as fresh now as it did then and personally, I think the tracks have really stood the test of time.

How do those two albums stand up now for you, lined up against all the other material with the Zep and his solo material since?

Pictures At 11 has some great stuff on it - Burning Down One Side, Slow Dancer, Fat Lip...

On the whole, it's better than Principle of Moments, but In The Mood and Reckless Love are great tracks.

With Pictures, he tried to branch off away from Zeppelin, but it still sounded too similar,

so on Principle, he branched off even further and the songs are more experimental.

It was cool that he chose Phil Collins for some of the tracks, he kicked things up a notch.

I have very fond memories of both Pictures At Eleven & The Principle of Moments because I was happy that Robert was making music again. I still listen to PaE a lot, PoM not as much but I like them better than most of Robert's other solo albums, except for Mighty Rearranger.

I still can remember buying the Pictures At Eleven record lp when it first came out, in fact I went to the record store specifically to buy another record and I saw Pictures At Eleven in the new release rack and thought cool I'll pick this up for sure. I walked out of the record store with Pictures At Eleven and two other albums that I dont even recall which ones they were. My favourite song on the album is Burning Down One Side, I thought it a good effort for his first solo album. Northstar.

Pictures at Eleven and The Principle of Moments remain two of my all-time favorite albums (by any artist). It's remarkable how well the songs on those albums have stood the test of nearly 30 years time. The concert recordings from the era are a powerful testament to Robert in full flight as a solo artist.

I feel the same.

So many albums from the 80's have really dated, sounds and recording techniques have advanced so far, but these two remain really fresh when I hear them.

I think Phil really complimented the material and while I know his credability among fans is not good, he and Robert really seemed in the zone in '82 & '83.

Is there any good live footage from the American 1983 tour?

Archived